graphic card for HTPC, HDCP Hd-bluray ready - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I'm building my first HTPC and I've been looking around for the right graph ic card and well the more I look the less I seem to be able to find one.
First off I want the card to be nvidia as I intend to run Mythtv
which is a linux Free Open Source digital video recorder and their drivers then to work better with linux. Next I'd like the card to be passively cooled with 512 mb memory and lastly able to do all the grunt work on the grahics leaving the cpu to do it's own thing. So hardware accelerated I think is the term though not 100% sure plus HDCP enabled.
Sorry lastly the card has to have an onboard hdmi port not a Dvi port with a hdmi connection adapter. This is to future proof the card in case I replace my amp with one the can handle hdmi connections.
Their is other stuff that the card needs to be capable of but I just can't remember the specifics right now but in the end I want to be able to watch HD tv, blu-ray disc in 1080p on my LCD tv
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpc geek View Post

Hi
I'm building my first HTPC and I've been looking around for the right graph ic card and well the more I look the less I seem to be able to find one.
First off I want the card to be nvidia as I intend to run Mythtv
which is a linux Free Open Source digital video recorder and their drivers then to work better with linux. Next I'd like the card to be passively cooled with 512 mb memory and lastly able to do all the grunt work on the grahics leaving the cpu to do it's own thing. So hardware accelerated I think is the term though not 100% sure plus HDCP enabled.
Sorry lastly the card has to have an onboard hdmi port not a Dvi port with a hdmi connection adapter. This is to future proof the card in case I replace my amp with one the can handle hdmi connections.
Their is other stuff that the card needs to be capable of but I just can't remember the specifics right now but in the end I want to be able to watch HD tv, blu-ray disc in 1080p on my LCD tv
thanks in advance

Why do you care if there is a DVI to HDMI adapter? It makes no difference whatsoever aside from the extra length and you can solve that by using a hybrid cable (I have several). HDMI is DVI with audio, and no Nvidia card puts any usable audio onto the signal (I do not consider SPDIF passthrough to be useful). You can even use a Xonar card but only if you use Windows - which you said you are not using.

I have a passively cooled 9600 GT card that is pretty good for gaming and accelerates BR, you might try that.

"But it's just a flesh wound!"
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the post.
I know that hdmi and dvi are the same but for the audio. I was using my work pc to run the lounge home theatre for a while but realized that I'd needed a dedicated htpc in order to keep everybody happy. That pc runs a 8800gt card but it's not the quietest graphic card which is why I want to try a passive cooled card. I figured rightly or not that if I got a card with a hdmi port I'd in some way be future proofing the card. Also as I'd have to upgrade my amp (harmonkordan avr140)to one that will use the hdmi port because at the moment only my lcd tv is hdmi capable and I don't want to a put together a reasonable home theatre setup just to listen via lifeless tv speakers.
Sorry this is turning into a bit of a rant.
Again thanks for thr post
wanna b htpc geek
post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 63
MythTV is a terrific program, but as of now, and maybe for quite some time, there are no software players for Blu-Ray in Linux. So if you are intent on BD on your HTPC you will need to run Windows in some form or other.
If you are going to run an Nvidia card, you do not need to worry about having a native HDMI port, since the card is not, nor can it ever be, capable of HD-Audio from Blu-Ray. You will need to use a Xonar sound card for that with an Nvidia graphics card. Otherwise your only option is an ATI card, which will pass HD-Audio through it's HDMI port. Or through it's DVI port using the DVI-HDMI adapter.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgecko View Post

I do not consider SPDIF passthrough to be useful

For those of us using TV speakers, it's useful.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page