Image flickers & disappears occasionally on Windows Desktop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, i'm hoping to get some suggestions about why I have been suffering image flickering & disappearing when I open certain windows (the image comes back if I press alt tab or close the window in which the problem occurred). I don't seem to get any issues at all during video playback, problem only happens with static text windows etc and is reproducable by closing and opening the window again (though not always if you open it in a different position later on etc).

Prime culprit windows are the following:

* Windows event viewer (when you select certain items in the event list)
* A particular page of the network connection wizard
* Windows explorer sometimes...

My setup includes the following AV components connected in order listed below:

* 2x ATI 4850s in crossfire with included HDMI adapter
* 1m HDMI from EzyHD (respected Aussie cable seller)
* Yamaha YHT-795 (or rather the amp in that kit)
* 10m HDMI cable, also from EzyHD
* Sony VPL-HW10 projector.

Thinking it may be a cable issue I swapped out the 10m HDMI with a 7m but same issue occurred (once again, cable of good quality from EzyHD).

Issue does not occur when colour space is other than RGB (incidentally if anyone knows how to make it remember i changed the colour space between connections of the projector that would also be useful to me).

Any ideas? This problem occurs infrequently but drives me mad when it does.

Driver versions tested include the last few in the 8 series and all of the 9 series until the current release (9.5) which I installed last night but have yet to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just tried with my Dell 2707wfp monitor using an HDMI -> DVI adapter and discovered the problem also happens on there (displays a signal out of range message instead of just going blank though). This narrowed the problem down to the receiver or the graphics driver. I then tried with a laptop with GMA950 graphics using a second DVI -> HDMI adapter and discovered it doesn't happen on Intel graphics. This would indicate a problem with the graphics driver, which is good I guess as it's a fixable problem (many people were previously having issues with Yamaha audio on ATI cards apparently).

If you have ATI graphics, (particularly a 4850 and/or in two of these in Crossfire, though any ATI graphics user could help me potentially), and a rx-v563 receiver could you please try the following steps for me:

1. In Vista, click start (well, the windows icon), right click "Computer" and select "Manage".
2. Press ok to the UAC prompt (unless you turned it off).
3. Open the "event viewer" module, then "custom views", then "administrative events".
4. Select the top event and then hold the down arrow key on your keyboard so it scrolls down the list. If this problem occurs on your graphics card the display should blank, flicker in an odd way or display an out of range error. If this happens, you may be able to restore an image by pressing alt-f4 to close the event viewer window. Otherwise you might have to restart. Make sure you're not doing anything important before you attempt this.

I will try submitting a bug report to ATI, but it'd be nice to know if i'm the only one with this issue before I do.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page