Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have an Antec Micro Fusion 350 low profile case, the
GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard, and just got the ASUS EN8400GS graphics card.

I was told the 8400GS will fit in the case, as it's a low profile card. However upon trying to install it I realized that the card itself may be fine but its metal bracket is too tall. Then read about riser cards in order to get a PCI-X card installed horizontally over the motherboard.

I looked around online and found some risers, however I am still rather confused:

How will the card's outputs (DVI, TVout, DSUB) be accessible externally when using a riser? Is it even possible for a graphics card?

Thanks in advance,
Fanis

PS I had included links to product descriptions and pictures but the forum is telling me I need to have 3 posts in order to post links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There are usually two solutions to mounting PCI or PCI-E cards in low-height cases.

1. Conventional mountings but with low profile cards. These still mount the cards vertically, but rely on a card that isn't the full height. These often come with full-height brackets - so they will still work in regular cases, but with an optional (sometimes shipped with the card, often only available on request to the manufacturer) low-profile bracket to replace the full-height bracket.

I have had a couple of full-height card brackets delivered with low-profile cards, and in every case an e-mail to the manufacture has resulted in a low-profile bracket being despatched at no cost. (Hauppauge - kudos to you)

2. Horizontally mounted cards connected to a riser. This can be a rigid or a flexible riser. This allows full height cards to be used, but mounted horizontally, not plugged directly and vertically into the motherboard, but instead into a riser that allows the card to be mounted in a different orientation.

Some case vendors do this to allow full-height cards to be used in low-profile cases, but if you do this with a case not designed to accept the right angled card, you will need to find a suitable mounting system. Also there can be issues with timings, as the riser extends the distance between the card and the PC, which at high bus speeds can be significant.

I'd try and source a replacement bracket for your card first. You may find you can buy a blank half-height bracket and dremel out suitable holes if your manufacturer can't supply a half-height bracket?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your very informative post, sneals2000.

I will ask Asus for a replacement bracket. At one point I considered cutting off the top part that includes the Dsub plug, as I don't need it anyway, but I will check with Asus first.

Regarding risers:

1) With a flexible one, I'd have to find a place to mount the card stable, which would not be easy in that case.

2) How will I be able to access its plugs? Via an empty neighboring bracket or is there some other way?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
risers are really only meant for cases which have their openings in the rear parallel to the motherboard. just get the smaller bracket from asus, and dont worry about risers.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I emailed Asus about a half height bracket. It's my mistake for not researching it much earlier. I merely assumed that a low profile card will have everything it needs to fit in a low profile case (ie, a half height bracket replacement).

Since I don't really expect them to ship one out to me soon, I'll probably order this replacement kit: http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productde...categoryid=478 . The 2nd bracket with the DVI and TVout plugs seems to fit.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxer View Post

Thanks, I emailed Asus about a half height bracket. It's my mistake for not researching it much earlier. I merely assumed that a low profile card will have everything it needs to fit in a low profile case (ie, a half height bracket replacement).

Since I don't really expect them to ship one out to me soon, I'll probably order this replacement kit: http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productde...categoryid=478 . The 2nd bracket with the DVI and TVout plugs seems to fit.

here you go

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0298235
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks beaups, I ended up buying a similar one off ebay. Thank you all for the help.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page