.MKV image Vs. blu-ray image - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MKV files are smaller than a full .iso blu-ray file. My question: Is the image quality of an MKV file the exact same quality as the .iso blu-ray or the image coming out of a blu-ray player? I am talking about the image from the same movie that is in 1080p resolution. I am not comparing the audio quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

MKV files are smaller than a full .iso blu-ray file. My question: Is the image quality of an MKV file the exact same quality as the .iso blu-ray or the image coming out of a blu-ray player? I am talking about the image from the same movie that is in 1080p resolution. I am not comparing the audio quality.

Short answer no.

Every time you reencode a video file you lose some quality. Sometime the impact can be insignificant but depending on the material defect can creep up.

I've seen some prety good encodes and I've seen some pretty bad one.

The smaller the end product the worst it's gonna be.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM

MKV is a container like avi. What matters is the codec used and the amount of compression.
I convert the container of my Blu-Rays without touching the video at all. So in my case there is no difference at all. I just choose the convenience of the mkv format and convert the audio to loss less flac. It saves some space for me by loosing the menus and extra audio I don't need, but mostly it's just so I can store the movie on my HD and play directly through media portal without TMT or PowerDVD.

Mark
post #4 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrb View Post

MKV is a container like avi. What matters is the codec used and the amount of compression.
I convert the container of my Blu-Rays without touching the video at all. So in my case there is no difference at all. I just choose the convenience of the mkv format and convert the audio to loss less flac. It saves some space for me by loosing the menus and extra audio I don't need, but mostly it's just so I can store the movie on my HD and play directly through media portal without TMT or PowerDVD.

Mark

True. Mkv is a container. But you won't get the disk space reduction of those encodes available on the net just by droping menues and extra.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The stuff that is ripped off on the net is almost always reencoded at a lower bitrate and so it can't be the same quality but it is possible to reduce the overall size of BR owned by removing the extra's. Full bitrate movie-only BR w/lossless audio only will run ~20-40gb depending on the movie. Doesn't matter if you leave it in BR format, MKV, TS, etc, it will be the same size.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

The stuff that is ripped off on the net is almost always reencoded at a lower bitrate and so it can't be the same quality but it is possible to reduce the overall size of BR owned by removing the extra's. Full bitrate movie-only BR w/lossless audio only will run ~20-40gb depending on the movie. Doesn't matter if you leave it in BR format, MKV, TS, etc, it will be the same size.

Not entirely true. "BR format" (.m2ts) and TS have more container overhead than .MKV, so the MKV will always be a little smaller. Not as much smaller as one that has been transcoded, but maybe smaller by 1 - 2 GB. A movie that has been moved into the MKV container with no transcoding should look 100% identical to the original, assuming you were to compare playback of both using the same software player (PowerDVD and TMT may not support MKV files).
post #7 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

Short answer no.

Every time you reencode a video file you lose some quality. Sometime the impact can be insignificant but depending on the material defect can creep up.

I've seen some prety good encodes and I've seen some pretty bad one.

The smaller the end product the worst it's gonna be.

Wrongoooo.....the MKV file is smaller because it doesn't include all the extras, menus, other audio tracks, etc etc...not because it was compressed and re-encoded. MKV is a CONTAINER, that's it. Bit-for-bit identical to the Blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

True. Mkv is a container. But you won't get the disk space reduction of those encodes available on the net just by droping menues and extra.

Yes, you will actually. My average Blu-ray MKV is about 22-24GB. Most of the extraneous stuff on Blu-rays is anywere from 8 to 15GB!! Even at 8GB, within 25 movies, you've saved yourself 100GB.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #8 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Think there are multiple answers, all right, but not all the time, here :

mkv is a container, like the m2ts container used by Blu-ray, and both can contain multiple audio and video streams in various encoding formats - though I don't think mkv supports all the codecs used by Blu-ray yet (like the subtitle format?). mkv has a lower overhead than m2ts AIUI. (m2ts is an MPEG2 transport stream - though it doesn't have to use MPEG2 video encoding - with extra packet time stamping compared to a regular MPEG2 ts I believe, with the timestamping aiding shuttling etc.?)

iso is a disc image format. A Blu-ray iso is normally a total backup of the Blu-ray image (though often without the AACS encryption) leaving the multiple video, audio, subtitling streams and menus and extras intact within their m2ts files in the image.

It is possible to extract the m2ts streams, of each item on the disc, so if you just want the movie, you can just keep the m2ts tracks for the movie, and ignore the m2ts files for the extras. This will reduce the size of the backup. However if you don't do anything to the m2ts files they will still contain all the subtitle and audio streams along with the video stream(s). (Multiple streams for PIP AIUI). Doing this causes no quality loss - as the original video and audio encodes are untouched.

You can also remux the m2ts stream to strip out subtitles, video and audio streams that you don't want, keeping things in an m2ts container, which will again reduce the file size, and again you haven't touched the encodes of the video and audio streams you've retained, so what you have is still at the original Blu-ray quality. (Usually the main English language stream on a BD is a high bit-rate PCM, True HD or DTS HD MA lossless track that can be between 3 and 5Mb/s, whereas many of the other audio tracks are <640kb/s DD or 1.5Mb/s DTS legacy compressed.

It is also possible to remux to mkv. If you JUST remux then there is no quality loss either.

HOWEVER - many people re-encode when they convert to mkv containers, they don't just remux. If you re-encode, you can massively reduce the filesize, by lowering the bitrate you encode at compared to the original encode, but in doing so you reduce the quality.

So - mkvs can be smaller either because they are re-encodes OR because they have fewer audio/subtitle tracks (and no extras and menus and interactivity) but are original encodes.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

by lowering the bitrate you encode at compared to the original encode, but in doing so you reduce the quality.

The important issue is whether the reduction in quality is perceivable.
For me it isn't so is an acceptable reduction.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.s View Post

The important issue is whether the reduction in quality is perceivable.
For me it isn't so is an acceptable reduction.

+1, you need a large 1080p display to see any difference if the encoding is done well. Even on my 130" front projection setup, I have to A-B compare to see any difference at all.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yep - I have a background where I'm trained to assess picture quality objectively, and so am a lot more sensitive to artefacts than many others. Even on a 40" 1920x1080 display I can see artefacts that others probably miss...

Given that storage costs are increasingly low, I prefer to retain the original encoding. (I have a library of titles that I have purchased, and have an unRAID server to which I back them up as ISOs with no re-encoding or re-muxing. However some titles I purchase don't have English subtitles, and if I want to add these - I usually remux to MKV and add the subtitles that way)
post #12 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
MKV IMO is a horrible choice for a container. Most of the time, people have to end up remuxing it to TS for a movie/video to be playable on a hardware player since there's so many ways for people to screw up MKV. MKV has great specs, but it will be a while before its legitamate as far as industry standards are concerned.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

MKV IMO is a horrible choice for a container. Most of the time, people have to end up remuxing it to TS for a movie/video to be playable on a hardware player since there's so many ways for people to screw up MKV. MKV has great specs, but it will be a while before its legitamate as far as industry standards are concerned.

True. But I assume most of us on this forum use an HTPC to playback those files, so it's not an issue.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Wrongoooo.....the MKV file is smaller because it doesn't include all the extras, menus, other audio tracks, etc etc...not because it was compressed and re-encoded. MKV is a CONTAINER, that's it. Bit-for-bit identical to the Blu-ray.

No i'm not. The vast majority of mkv available on the net are reencodes. And we are not talking about saving a couple of gig here and there we are talking about a substantial difference in disk space (and in quality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Yes, you will actually. My average Blu-ray MKV is about 22-24GB. Most of the extraneous stuff on Blu-rays is anywere from 8 to 15GB!! Even at 8GB, within 25 movies, you've saved yourself 100GB.

Almost nobody rip the extra so this isn't even a point.
Most mkv of BR that I see available on the net are 4 to 10g... A quarter to half of yours. People who download those aren't really that concerned with quality anyway.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
When I meant hardware playback, I also meant software packages like Cyberlink PowerDVD, TMT using GPU assisted playback. No matter how you look at it, you just wont find too many good MKV files out there that you can download that will just play on any player. If youre dealing with blu-ray movies, its just better to leave a file as m2ts or convert it to TS, if you really have to.

However, MKV's are great containers if you are very careful to make them compatible with all players sensetive to industry specs.

However, I'm sure there are many people out there who dont care about any of this and archive their personally-made MKV files that work on their own setup; and, dont give a sh** if it works on another person's setup or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.r View Post

True. But I assume most of us on this forum use an HTPC to playback those files, so it's not an issue.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:

However, I'm sure there are many people out there who dont care about any of this and archive their personally-made MKV files that work on their own setup; and, dont give a sh** if it works on another person's setup or not.

Exactly

Also, by using AnyDVD-HD and Media Player Classic Home Cinema, you can play just almost anything and with no restrictions (i.e. no HDCP crap to deal with).
post #17 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

MKV IMO is a horrible choice for a container. Most of the time, people have to end up remuxing it to TS for a movie/video to be playable on a hardware player since there's so many ways for people to screw up MKV.

You know this isn't a problem if you handle your own encodes of your own media and going by proper spec to ensure that it works on hardware players and HA etc... Why be concerned with how other people handle the format?

Quote:

MKV has great specs, but it will be a while before its legitamate as far as industry standards are concerned.

You mean legitimate like Divx 7 supporting MKV's? Considering how Divx made an impact to DVD players in the last 3-4years i'd say that this is a significant jump into MKV legitimacy.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM

I prefer to have an ISO of the original Blu-ray disc, minus all the extras. Just the movie and HD audio. Then it's one easy to use file and I can use MediaBrowser to search my collection, select a movie, and it will mount my ISO with VCD and automatically load PowerDVD. I don't want to spend the extra time converting the audio and video files to FLAC and MKV.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I beg to differ. MKV is the best container format developed so far. If people don't know how to use it, or if the industry hasn't embraced it yet, speaks nothing to its quality.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaclennan View Post

I prefer to have an ISO of the original Blu-ray disc, minus all the extras. Just the movie and HD audio. Then it's one easy to use file and I can use MediaBrowser to search my collection, select a movie, and it will mount my ISO with VCD and automatically load PowerDVD. I don't want to spend the extra time converting the audio and video files to FLAC and MKV.

If you keep the full-res video, there is no conversion. There is also no extra time, as ripping to MKV can be done directly from the Blu-Ray disc. Takes no longer than ripping to ISO.

Lifespeed
post #21 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

If you keep the full-res video, there is no conversion. There is also no extra time, as ripping to MKV can be done directly from the Blu-Ray disc. Takes no longer than ripping to ISO.

But you do convert the audio from DTSHD/TRUHD to FLAC? That doesn't add time to the rip?

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #22 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

But you do convert the audio from DTSHD/TRUHD to FLAC? That doesn't add time to the rip?

reading a bd drive is slow. most of the time the cpu is just sitting around waiting for data to come off the disc. it has plenty of free time to convert audio and write to hdd.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

reading a bd drive is slow. most of the time the cpu is just sitting around waiting for data to come off the disc. it has plenty of free time to convert audio and write to hdd.

Cool. This is probably the route I'll take...bitperfect video and lossless audio without being constrained by the player or copyprotection/having to buy special hardware, etc.

Slyplayer may change that...but until it's released I have to consider other options.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #24 of 24 Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quite correct. I convert almost everything I have to MKV and it is played
on the PC where it is authored, my Macs and the hardware players
(HDX-1000 NMT and TVix 6500)

I don't use MKV for BD as the specs for TrueHD and DTS-HDMA is not fully
supported across the board.

MKVs are good because of the flexible subtitle support. I watch foreign
films and Anime. Using soft subtitles avoids the ugly jaggies, all my
player platforms are configured to render subtitles as the last item in the
processing chain.

Hard subtities render the text onto the original video and therefore
a reencode is necessary and MKV allows this to be avoided.

I combine the RAW video from my DVDs , the original language AC3
soundrack and srt or ssa subtitles I get off the web for a custom track.

MKVs also support chapters which are very useful for when converting
Concert DVDs , I find the VOB format clumsy and not well supported
on the hardware players and thus forces the use of ISOs which waste a
lot of space.

I use MKVtoolnix which wraps MKVmerge and it avoids the gross errors
when making an MKV like incorrect timing CUE sheets.
Reply Home Theater Computers