Projector Screen 16:8 : How to adapt window's desktop? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HT room has a reduced height. So I've a "cropped" projector screen ... it's approximately 16:8 in other words: it has a reduced useful height.

For this reason when I send a 16:9 (1920x1080) signal with my HTPC the upper and lower part of windows' desktop falls outside from the screen.

What I can do in order to perfectly riquadrare the desktop in my screen?

I suppose that the custom-resolution solution is not practicable because I do not think that mine pj (JVC RS20) supports different resolutions from the fullHD and 1280x720.

Does exists a tool that "compress" the desktop in a regular 1920x1080 signal?

infinite thanks,
acta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I believe that you can use a custom resolution that is 16:8 for the desktop and still ouput at 108u0i or 1080p to your PJ. Also make sure "No scaling" is enabled so that the display driver will not stretch the image vertically.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

What is the tool you suggest?

Powerstrip is not working on my system (vista ultimate 32bit) ... every time that I exe powerstrip my system crash down :-(

Something else?

acta.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I am suggesting the custom resolution capabilty of your graphic card drivers/control center.
Since you did not provide the make/model of your graphic card or what drivers for it you are currently using from the graphic chip manufacturers website I can only assume that you have a current or recent generation graphics card and drivers.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I believe that you can use a custom resolution that is 16:8 for the desktop and still ouput at 108u0i or 1080p to your PJ

I do not understand .... Do you can make an example?
Do I've to create a 2160x1080p resoloution?
My pj never accept a res. like this.

explain me more ....

Quote:

Also make sure "No scaling" is enabled so that the display driver will not stretch the image vertically.

My pj (JVC RS20) do not have a "pixel mapping" mode ... it only has 16:9 or 4:3 . :-(

Quote:

Since you did not provide the make/model of your graphic card or what drivers for it you are currently using

In this moment my HTPC mount a ati X1600 with the latest catalyst and CCC.
In the next days I will have a new ATI 4850 card. :-)

acta.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM

I think more like a resolution of 1920x960....but that may not sync with your prejector either. Why not just zoom out a bit and accept a little unused screen space on each side? I don't see where this is going to look very good.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not just set the image size to fit the screen with the projector, then get some black felt and make some matting to hide the sides. You'll never get the correct setting so things don't look squished trying to use the whole screen.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have much experience with ATI graphics cards, but my nVIDIA card has an option called "resize HD desktop" or something like that under the advanced controls. When you select that option it presents you a big blue screen (full screen) with a thin yellow border and yellow arrows pointing to the exact corners. In the middle are two sliders, one for horizontal and one for vertical. The sliders allow you to squeeze the display vertically and/or horizontally independently to make it fit your screen perfectly.

I use this capability on my projector, because for any "normal" 1080p source I have the projector zoomed just a little bit into the black border around the screen. For a computer this doesn't work well as my start menu and the top of some programs wind up in the border. With the nVIDIA tool I just dragged the vertical slider a bit until the image fit the screen and pressed save.

What it really does behind the scenes is create you a new resolution, as has been previously suggested, but it's all hidden from the user so you don't have to know or care that that's what it's doing. I think my resolution wound up at something like 1920x1040 or give or take a little after squeezing in the start menu. The projector itself though is getting a standard 1080p signal from the video card, so it doesn't know the difference.

I have no idea if ATI has a similar capability on their cards, but if not you should still be able to type in a "custom resolution" in the CCC and see if the card/display can handle it. Best of luck!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magius View Post

What it really does behind the scenes is create you a new resolution, as has been previously suggested, but it's all hidden from the user so you don't have to know or care that that's what it's doing. I think my resolution wound up at something like 1920x1040 or give or take a little after squeezing in the start menu. The projector itself though is getting a standard 1080p signal from the video card, so it doesn't know the difference.

... exactly what I'm looking for!!

At this point the main question is:
Does the ATI CC has this feature?
ATI owner: I want you feed back, please.

@magius: What are the nvidia models that surely have this feature?

thank you all.
acta.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

... powerstrip?

Plaese help me.

I don't want to sell my new ATI 4850 fanless card!!

acta.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magius View Post

I'm surprised nobody is discussing if the connection between PC and PJ is analog or digital! If digital, then resolution is all you can play with. But if the connection is analog (e.g.VGA) then video timing can also be adjusted. Manipulating the video timing can squeeze or stretch the image. For a CRT device that menu is not available, i.e. analog connection. For my front PJ, I use the nVidia Custom Resolution menu to change (shorten) the front and back Horizontal porches.

> What are the nvidia models that surely have this feature?

The menu is probably part of the GeForce driver for most nVidia video adapters/GPUs, and not tied to a particular model. (nVidia uses a "unified driver" model: one driver for almost all GPU products).

Regards
post #12 of 12 Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

I'm surprised nobody is discussing if the connection between PC and PJ is analog or digital!

My connection is digital.

I asked to a friend with an ATI 4830 if there is something like NVIDIA's Desktop HD ... but He didn't find nothing.

At this point my only hope is that some tool like powerstrip can do something similar.

I've tried to install powerstrip on my vista ultimate 32bit system but it didn't work.
When I execute powerstrip my O.S. crash down!

I've checked if powerstrip is compatible with vista and it seems yes.

Can some one confirm this?

thank you,
acta.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page