problem displaying PC via HDMI with Onkyo 705 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been using my HTPC via a DVI to HDMI cable plugged directly into my toshiba DLP tv for some time. Recently I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver for it's HDMI switching. Im running a directv box HDMI in, Sony changers component in, and outputing everything through HDMI. I hooked the PC DVI to HDMI cable into one of the receivers inputs, but I cannot get the PC to display. Ive tried 800x600 and 1280 by 720 resolutions and accessed the Onkyos hidden men to force the output to 720p with no avail. I get a flashing HDMI ligh on the receiver and what appears to be fine grained snw on screen. All other sources (than the PC) work fine switched through the receiver. he Tv only has one HDMI input so after all the costs, I'd really like this to work so I dont have to rewire back to component for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM

What video card are you using? With my 780g chipset (ati hd3200) motherboard I had the same problem on my onkyo 806. No one had any responses when I posted either.

I just got a new motherboard (intel 8300 chipset) and it works fine now.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 PM

For the Onkyo ...you probably need to set it to allow the HTPC thru..ie no scaling by the Onkyo.
What resolution did you have the video card in the HTPC set to when directly connected?...1280x720...1376 x768
For that matter what is the video card...an ATI or Nvidia?
What model?
I'm assuming your Toshiba is not capable of 1080p?
So its 720p ?
Do you have the latest video card driver installed for your video card?

Is your audio coming via the HDMI connection...or via a separate spdif?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried both the settings offeed for HDMI on the Onkyo one is locked to 720P, the other is "Auto" neither made a difference,

I can run any resolution I like from the HTPC to the television. The TV just shows me different sizes of desktop. 800x600 has worked the best, filling the screen with no overscan. I tried 1280x720 but there was massive overscan in all directions.

The Toshiba is a 62hm84 720p only. The drivers are catalyst from around three years ago, havent messed with them since setting the system up. I did have some issues back then with black screen when switching inputs on the TV requiring reboot of the PC to get picture back, but the version of catalyst im using now resolved that.

Audio coming from soundblaster 5.1 Analog to receiver.

I dont recall the exact video card model other than I believe it is a fanless radeon of reasonable specs from three years ago.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

"Onkyos hidden men"

What hidden men(u) ??????????????

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 AM

With the more recent drivers or versions of catalyst..there is a scaling option which allows you fix overscan.

if its a 720p screen ..at least 1280x 720 should work..or maybe 1360 x768.

but then again maybe not on a DLP TV
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Liked: 16
Everything I've seen says the Onkyos have to have the PC hooked up through the first HDMI input, usually DVD. I've got a 606 hooked up through DVD and it works perfectly.

Good luck.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Manual for 606 specifically states: "In addition, video signals from a PC are not supported". (page 31 of the 606 manual, "Making HDMI connections" chapter, in the Notes.

Newer graphics cards/chipsets, paired with newer drivers, provide full HDTV support, meaning that outgoing video is a proper 720p, 1080i or 1080p, at a proper frequency, with overscan if needed, which AVRs can understand. You definitely should try getting the latest Catalyst supporting your card model, and see if it includes proper HDTV support. If your card is a PCI-e, not AGP, you have lots of options, best probably being a Radeon HD 4650 card.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys. RE the question about the hidden menu, if you Hold AUX and POWER buttons on the front of many of the receivers, it opens a menu where you can adjust the properties of the HDMI output including contrast brightness and resolution.

I checked my video card and its a radeon sapphire 9600 with DVI and VGA. I purchased it at the time because it was the best fanless card I could find and my case is a cool power HTPC and its kinda weird and tight.

Im downloading drivers now, but looks like a new problem. Cat9.6 Drivers require .net2.0 and for some reason microsoft wont let me connect argghhh.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page