post #31 of 57 Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspe View Post

I couldn't thank you guys enough. I have searched through so many forums and read through so many posts but I have never gotten such well laid out answers as here. I definately picked the right forum.

It seems that what I want to do regarding Blu-ray may still be a little ahead of the curve as far as software and the technology is out there. Let me ask you a hypothetical question then. If I was going to start ripping my Blu-rays to my server now even if I don't plan on watching them any time in the near future, what format for Blu-rays do you think will be the easiest or most common in the future? I would kind of like to stay with something straight across the board and stick with the KISS principle. With that in mind I an thinking th rip everything in ISO. I know the players aren't all there on playback of ISO yet but it seems that every day a few more are adding the functionality of ISO. Any thoughts on that judgement?

The best way I can answer that is to look at the past. When DVD ripping was young, the only way to play a rip was to have it be an ISO and to mount it to a virtual drive, tricking the player into thinking it was a real disc in a real drive (just like BD to a large extent today).

Since then, things have almost entirely reversed. ISOs still work, but have not really gotten any easier to use. However almost every player and frontend has added support for playing a DVD from a folder structure natively. Such that there seems very little reason to use ISOs anymore for DVDs, at least not just for playback.

We're already seeing the later happen with BD. TMT supports folders, as do the SageTV extenders (not sure about the PCH).

So I'm ripping all my discs (BD and DVD) to folders, largely because ISOs are a pain (mounting) and I just don't see any benefit to it. But then I don't use PowerDVD.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

largely because ISOs are a pain (mounting)

You know I agree with most everything you say - but you might point out that it's app-specfic as to the "pain". Since I don't use a front-end all I do is double-click the ISO and it mounts and begins playing in TMT3 w/o doing anything else. I realize that your setup is (very) different, just wanted to point out that the whole ISO vs File structure thing is (IMHO) dependant upon the front end (or lack thereof) that is being used.
post #33 of 57 Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Even when I'm not going through a frontend, having to have a virtual drive software installed is a bit of a pain.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #34 of 57 Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 342
For most people installing Virtual CloneDrive should be no problem.
post #35 of 57 Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you (Was having trouble seeing the difficulty...)
post #36 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's easy enough to install an app. Having to install a (non-player) app just to watch a movie is "annoying" (is probably a better word). Especially if you don't want to use Windows explorer as your frontend, or 3 different apps for playback.

post #37 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Even with a frontend, mounting iso isn't that hard since you can always use the file association to automount the iso and if you have autoplay configured on that "virtualdrive" then the process is quite transparent.

I use Virtual Clone Drive + MPC-HC with Media Portal and it work quite well.
post #38 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Here is what you will need. I will keep it short and sweet:.........

Just curious, What are your file sizes of your MKV's for blu ray discs? Do you do any sort of compression, if so how much?
post #39 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

Even with a frontend, mounting iso isn't that hard since you can always use the file association to automount the iso and if you have autoplay configured on that "virtualdrive" then the process is quite transparent.

I use Virtual Clone Drive + MPC-HC with Media Portal and it work quite well.

Guess I just don't find flipping back and forth between apps "transparent".

post #40 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobrigidey View Post

Just curious, What are your file sizes of your MKV's for blu ray discs? Do you do any sort of compression, if so how much?

I dont use compressing as I want exact replica AND I dont want to wait hours to do the re-rendering. I tried this using RipBOT - worked wonderfully (quality was great - some degradation but not too much depending how far you sit from the TV and size of course) but it took too much time to complete the re-render even with my quad core. With storage coming down in cost storage was less of an issue for me but still a minor concern. My priorities were quality then storage. When a gig is about 60 - 80 per TB then I might even go REMUX to M2TS - for now its not at my price point.

My storage usage is using original video and using FLAC for audio is anywhere from 12 Gig to 25 Gig for H.264 and 20 - 30 for VC1 (not many movies use this). Original disks are around 30 GB - 44 GB - its a significant savings relatively, having no quality loss and ripping in less then 40 minutes start to finish. I have been amazingly happy with this setup.

As a side note:
One night I sat with my PS3 and flipped from my HTPC to my PS3 to prove the difference and honestly I could not tell the difference - even the audio I just could not tell the difference - and I swore before I hooked them both up that the PS3 would look and sound better but afterwards at least to myself I proved the HPTC is just as good (at least with Hi Def movies). The up-conversion of the PS3 / XBOX360 seems to be better but honestly I have not played enough around with DVDs to get them looking as good as the up-conversion of the PS3/XBOX360.
post #41 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Guess I just don't find flipping back and forth between apps "transparent".

You don't flip. That is the point. You select your movie and all the work is done in the background, you never see it.
post #42 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

You don't flip. That is the point. You select your movie and all the work is done in the background, you never see it.

MPC-HC isn't a different app, with a different interface and a different remote config from MediaPortal?

post #43 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
XBMC plays iso's without any other software. Not sure if it does BD iso's, but I know it plays DVD iso's.
post #44 of 57 Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

MPC-HC isn't a different app, with a different interface and a different remote config from MediaPortal?

Media Portal give you the option of using an external player and this is what I use. MPC-HC give me a better result then the built in player YMMV.

MPC-HC is set to start full screen for me so I never see is interface and like many who use an HTPC I don't use a remote but a wireless keyboard.
post #45 of 57 Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, There is one thing I surely cant say and that is that you guys arent giving me enough information .

I have not yet commited to the format I am going to use but I am still trying them out. Could you reccomend a good and simple player that plays both DVD and BD from folders? Preferably freeware or if not free something that has a trial. I like VLC but I havent had any luck getting it to play BD.

Just to try and further complicate things, it would be nice if the player had both Windows and Mac versions like VLC does.

Thanks.
post #46 of 57 Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, There is one thing I surely cant say and that is that you guys arent giving me enough information .

I have not yet commited to the format I am going to use but I am still trying them out. Could you reccomend a good and simple player that plays both DVD and BD from folders? Preferably freeware or if not free something that has a trial. I like VLC but I havent had any luck getting it to play BD.

Arcsoft TMT. I don't know of anything free that plays Blu-rays (not as Blu-rays) and I'm not aware of any BD player for Mac at all.

post #47 of 57 Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You wont find a free player for Bluray as it requires a license and bluray format has encryption, etc... MPC-HT is probably the best I have used so far as for the free players... but yet does not play blurays but will play m2ts

Quote:

Just to try and further complicate things, it would be nice if the player had both Windows and Mac versions like VLC does.

Thanks.

post #48 of 57 Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM

DVDFab is a nice program that I use to rip my dvd-5's and 9's.

It also now support blu-ray, although I have no experience with ripping blu-ray.

DVDfab you can use free for 30 days, then purchase after if you chose. Can do blu-ray, dvd5,dvd9, it has a mobile option, etc.. It has many modes, particularly MAIN MOVIE, which just copies all the video/audio of the actual movie, removes warnings, previews, etc.. It's nice if the actual movie itself is less than 4gb I can put it onto a dvd5 instead of a dvd-9.

I'm sick of buying so many single and dual layer dvd's that I'm going to go the htpc route

Another program you might want to look into is imgburn.

DVDfab does it all, removes protection, rips and burns. IMGburn just burns and builds or create files and a multitude of options in that respect that I never get into.

You can rip the dvd into just the video_ts folder or make an iso with it, whichever you prefer. With dvdfab it will tell you when you rip/copy/etc. the quality it will be.

I love dvdfab because it is so easy to use and keeps the quality intact 100% if thats what you chose.

and I use vlc media player now and then and it plays my dvd .iso's.
post #49 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM

@stanglx - wow thanks for the detailed post. I'll give it a go this weekend.
post #50 of 57 Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Okay, I tried a few things. All work, but the HTPC user experience is just not ready for prime time yet IMHO. I wanted to put my disks on the computer so that my kids wouldn't continue to keep destroying disks by leaving them lying around, scratching them, etc.

My HTPC is in one room and connected to a monitor (so that I can take various actions) and also connected to a projector in the same room that projects onto a screen in an adjacent room. The requirements to play a movie just suck. I need to start the player software, ensure focus is on the correct window so that the MC Controller commands go to the right application, go back to the computer to maximize the player's window if it doesn't start maximized, etc. I can't have my kids, wife, and guests doing this.

I don't like to duplicate disks, and so it's back to letting everyone handle the original disks. Sigh.
post #51 of 57 Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivs View Post

My HTPC is in one room and connected to a monitor (so that I can take various actions) and also connected to a projector in the same room that projects onto a screen in an adjacent room. The requirements to play a movie just suck. I need to start the player software, ensure focus is on the correct window so that the MC Controller commands go to the right application, go back to the computer to maximize the player's window if it doesn't start maximized, etc. I can't have my kids, wife, and guests doing this.

there are 3rd party applications that can handle most of that...ultramon, multimon, split view, etc. Some are free, some shareware, some commercial.

Might be worth a look at the free ones. Once setup, it might give you what you are looking for. Here are a few links:

multimon (free)
Ultramon ($40)
SplitView ($39)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #52 of 57 Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be honest it sounds like you have this setup in a convoluted way. I am having no issues with playing my Blurays or DVDs from my HTPC. Sounds like your missing a key component which is a Media Manager such as Windows Media Center, etc. Once you have this all the issues you described go away.

Quote:

Okay, I tried a few things. All work, but the HTPC user experience is just not ready for prime time yet IMHO. I wanted to put my disks on the computer so that my kids wouldn't continue to keep destroying disks by leaving them lying around, scratching them, etc.

I don't like to duplicate disks, and so it's back to letting everyone handle the original disks. Sigh.

post #53 of 57 Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I can't have my kids, wife, and guests doing this.

Nor will they have to if the htpc is setup properly. Don't give up yet. All of your issues can be solved. Using a good front-end is a good start. Trust me, there are plenty of us who use an HTPC to watch movies and who have wives/kids who can operate it reliably when we are not around.
post #54 of 57 Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't have a projector but do have HTPC (HP Slimline) HDMI out (ATI 4550) Onkyo 606 (HDMI to Samsung HLS 61", Vista Media Center, Media Browser and Harmony One remote. Couldn't be happier. Wife has no problems playing a movie Don't give up!
post #55 of 57 Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
wlo

Hi stanglx,

For the steps you mentioned to ripping the BD into MKV file, is TMT2 required if I want to reserve the TrueHD and DTS-MASTER sound track in Lossless format and merge into the mkv file ? Does any of the players that you mentioned in your earlier posts will support FFDSHOW filters ? I find that FFDSHOW is the only filters that will bring all my DVD movies (not BD) in life in Video qty. Nond of the other players out there including PDVD, etc, are comparable..

Can I apply FFDSHOW to BD to kick it up notches ?

Please confirm.. Thanks !
post #56 of 57 Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post

XBMC plays iso's without any other software. Not sure if it does BD iso's, but I know it plays DVD iso's.

This is what I use also with jaw dropping AEON skin support:
http://www.aeonproject.com/gallery.html

And it play's ISO's just fine, no mounting needed.
Just browse and press enter...

XBMC:
http://xbmc.org/

Fast, easy to setup and handles TV shows/series also with the same grace as movies, especially with the AEON Skin. (So this means My vote is for iso since its easier to keep track of 1 single file and of course easy to backup the file if you choose too).

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #57 of 57 Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 AM
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

Nor will they have to if the htpc is setup properly. Don't give up yet. All of your issues can be solved. Using a good front-end is a good start. Trust me, there are plenty of us who use an HTPC to watch movies and who have wives/kids who can operate it reliably when we are not around.

I wish I just built a new HTPC with this in mind and yet the latest front-ends and DVD Players are so poorly designed I don't think we'll ever truly be there. Arcsoft, PowerDVD, Corel, they all have upscaling/sharpening functions for SD DVD playback. I would want the best image possible when viewing SD DVDs (who wouldn't) and I find enabling these functions is the way to go. However, none of these companies or the front-ends offer a way to enable it. Once you play a Blu Ray disc usually HW Acceleration is enabled as it should be but it you go back and play a SD DVD it is still enabled, not allowing you to utiltize the upsacling/sharpening functions. You have to manually go in and change things each and every time and my wife and kids don't want to do that.

It seems like such a simple solution if these DVD player manufacturers could offer command line options when opening the player. OR they could actually automate things so that when the player sees a SD DVD it plays with X settings and when it sees a Blu Ray it plays with Y settings.

I don't know why more people don't take issue with this and are comfortable watching their SD DVDs without any significant image enhancement. The only exception I know of is using Theatertek with FFDSHOW but try configuring that. It is a nightmare.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page