Capturing an HD stream off a set top DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a little experience, but assume I am an absolute beginner.

I just bought a Popcorn Hour 110, with which I am very happy. What I'd like to do is capture some of the HD content I have on my Direct TV DVR (as well as some on an old TIVO - mainly sports), convert it into a 264/mkv file, and keep the file on that lovely 1.5 terabyte drive I just installed in the unit. No copyright infringement intended.

HOW?? I bought a Hauppauge 1212 PVR, but it's going back today - drivers wouldn't install on the Windows Mini I use, and the unit is buggy as hell. (A remote control is included and prominently displayed on the package. You have to open the box to find out the remote does not control the PVR and is only included for 'third party applications'. I really don't want to do business with a company that engages in this kind of semi-consumer fraud.)

Any other suggestions? Or devices? People do it, because I am pocking up .mkv files of publicly broadcast stuff - tennis matches, in my case - all the time on bit torrent.

But what devices? Any suggestion is welcome, particularly Linux or Ubuntu based.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Your only other options are professional capture solutions like the BlackMagic Intensity Pro. But you'll need a LOT of temporary HDD space and you'll need to do the H.264 encoding offline.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 AM

I think the Hauppauge PVR was your best bet. Before the Hauppauge came out, a lot of people used the firewire connection (1394) at the back of the STB. I think cable boxes are required to have this connection, but I am not sure if the direct TV boxes are required to do so.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
But I think firewire doesn't work for recordings, only "live".

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM

LOL, I thought it was the opposite (works for record only). I never really looked into it, so there is a good chance you are right.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page