USB to Optical or Toslink Converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have ripped all of my CDs to my computer in Windows Media Audio Lossless format. I want to send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp so I can use the DAC in my preamp. Is there a USB to Optical or Toslink Converter that will send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
This one? Supports only 48 kHz, though.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a little confused. It states that it comes with a Digital Audio adapter. It looks like it has an analog output. Especially if you can hook it up to headphones or powered speakers. To get a digital output you need to connect a Digital Audio adapter. Is this an analog to digital converter or am I totally confused? Can you explain? I am looking for a straight digital output.

Don't settle for weak audio performance from your laptop or desktop. Turtle Beach's Audio Advantage Micro is a portable USB audio adapter (or USB sound card) that enhances your digital music connection in seconds. Simply plug the Micro into an available USB port on your PC and connect headphones or powered speakers and you're ready to rock! There's even a built-in headphone amplifier to give your bass a boost and help hitting those highs.

The compact adapter has both analog and digital (S/PDIF) outputs (with an included Digital Audio adapter) and an integrated surround-sound simulator for creating immersive audio with standard headphones or stereo speakers. A 10-band equalizer lets you tailor your sound to suit your music tastes and preferences and ambience effects give you the experience of listening to your audio in different environments.

I'm looking for a direct digital to digital connection. Is there such a thing? Is the USB output from a computer digital?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_wassell View Post

I’m a little confused. It states that it comes with a Digital Audio adapter. It looks like it has an analog output. Especially if you can hook it up to headphones or powered speakers. To get a digital output you need to connect a Digital Audio adapter. Is this an analog to digital converter or am I totally confused? Can you explain? I am looking for a straight digital output.

“Don't settle for weak audio performance from your laptop or desktop. Turtle Beach's Audio Advantage Micro is a portable USB audio adapter (or USB sound card) that enhances your digital music connection in seconds. Simply plug the Micro into an available USB port on your PC and connect headphones or powered speakers and you're ready to rock! There's even a built-in headphone amplifier to give your bass a boost and help hitting those highs.

The compact adapter has both analog and digital (S/PDIF) outputs (with an included Digital Audio adapter) and an integrated surround-sound simulator for creating immersive audio with standard headphones or stereo speakers. A 10-band equalizer lets you tailor your sound to suit your music tastes and preferences and ambience effects give you the experience of listening to your audio in different environments.”

I’m looking for a direct digital to digital connection. Is there such a thing? Is the USB output from a computer digital?

Click on the pictures of that on Newegg, you will see the little adapter it comes with. It is a toslink adapter , look like a little dongle with a headphone sized jack on one end and a spot to hook in an optical cable on the other. You will need an optical cable like this one but that only runs a couple bucks from monoprice. I have used that Turtle beach usb adapter on my laptop to hook to my AVR, works well.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have ripped all of my CDs to my computer in Windows Media Audio Lossless format. I want to send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp so I can use the DAC in my preamp. Is there a USB to Optical or Toslink Converter that will send a digital signal from my computer to my preamp?

I wouldn't consider anything else but this - http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcan..._usb_link.html
post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
and at $500 lets get 2!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

I wouldn't consider anything else but this - http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcan..._usb_link.html

Thanks but a little too rich for me!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

The digital adaptor attaches to the headphone output. Doesn’t that mean that the headphone output is an analog output? How does the digital adaptor convert the analog output to a digital output? Is it converting a digital output (USB) to an analog output (headphone/powered speakers) then back to a digital output (S/PDIT)? I’m just a little confused. Wouldn’t a headphone adaptor with an amplifier be an analog output?

Thank you for your input.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-15-2009, 01:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

The digital adaptor attaches to the headphone output. Doesn't that mean that the headphone output is an analog output? How does the digital adaptor convert the analog output to a digital output? Is it converting a digital output (USB) to an analog output (headphone/powered speakers) then back to a digital output (S/PDIT)? I'm just a little confused. Wouldn't a headphone adaptor with an amplifier be an analog output?

From the manual:
Quote:

To activate the S/PDIF Optical Digital Output, select S/PDIF from the Audio Advantage Control Panel Main Settings tab.

So the 1/8" mini jack plays two roles: stereo analog out and digital out (with an adapter). If you select S/PDIF from the "Audio Advantage Control Panel
Main Settings" tab, then signals sent to the mini jack are digital. There is no such process as digital -> analog -> digital.

-

-
post #10 of 11 Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

thanks
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again - I ordered both the cable and the Turtle Beach USB Interface Sound Card. I never realized that MonoPrice had such inexpensive cables and they look like they are good quality.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page