Windows7...HTPC, Streaming video from Main PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I cant figure out the issue... I have 2 computers. Main Computer and HTPC... I set up a home group and from the HTPC I can listen to music from the main computer... But If I try to watch a move from the HTPC with the media stored on the Main PC nothing happens in WMC... although I can go to WMP from the HTPC and they will play.....

So it is not a codec issue.... I can take the same media transfer it to the HTPC and play it in WMC.... I just can't stream the movies and paly them in WMC... Any Ideas?!?

FSchris

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

I cant figure out the issue... I have 2 computers. Main Computer and HTPC... I set up a home group and from the HTPC I can listen to music from the main computer... But If I try to watch a move from the HTPC with the media stored on the Main PC nothing happens in WMC... although I can go to WMP from the HTPC and they will play.....

So it is not a codec issue.... I can take the same media transfer it to the HTPC and play it in WMC.... I just can't stream the movies and paly them in WMC... Any Ideas?!?

FSchris

do you have the ffdshow or the right codecs installed on the second pc? Did you try to use media browser plugin?

also did you try to just due standard old fashioned folder sharing?

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I set up a home group.... I can play the media in WMC if the media is stored on the HTPC. Si it is not a codec issue. I also added the Shark CODEC pack just to verify if that was the issue and no luck. If I try to stream the media from the other PC there is no video, I can however listen to music in WMC streaming from the main PC. I can also streak the movie/videos to WMP in the HTPC....

When I open the videos in WMC i Just get the WMC blue screen.

I think i will try to delete the home group and rebuild it.... Is that possible to do ? I am using the WIN RC 32 bit in the HTPC and the WINRC 7 64Bit in my main PC.

fschris

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set up a home group.... I can play the media in WMC if the media is stored on the HTPC. Si it is not a codec issue. I also added the Shark CODEC pack just to verify if that was the issue and no luck. If I try to stream the media from the other PC there is no video, I can however listen to music in WMC streaming from the main PC. I can also streak the movie/videos to WMP in the HTPC....

I think i will try to delete the home group and rebuild it.... Is that possible to do ? I am using the WIN RC 32 bit in the HTPC and the WINRC 7 64Bit in my main PC.

fschris

i have no experience with home groups, is that the new streaming setup they have?

i would just set up plain jane shared folders. im wondering if mce doesn't like it for some reason or there is a bug.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Its most likely a firewall issue on one or both of the PCs. UPnP requires certain ports to be opened. Disable for now all the firewalls on your PCs and try again. Make sure you have media sharing turned on (im not infront of my Win7 machine) and that you have selected video in addition to music, pics, etc. Keep in mind Win 7 transcodes so if you dont have the codecs installed properly transcoding will auto start (behind the scenes).

Here is some more info on this and should help with the config as it did for me:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...windows-7.aspx

Quote:

fschris

post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Its very odd because from the HTPC i can watch the shared filed in WMP..... so WOuld it still be a fire wall issue ?

FSchris

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually that further supports the reason why it could be a firewall issue OR a fundemental setup issue. Again using UPnP which is what your trying to do is very different then pointing to the file over network share. UPnP requires proper setup and proper firewall configuration - and so does a network share but they are very different.

Try recreating the homegroup... there could be an issue here... Make sure you have media sharing enabled PROPERLY (see URL above) and make sure your firewalls are either OFF or the UPnP ports are properly opened.

Quote:

Its very odd because from the HTPC i can watch the shared filed in WMP..... so WOuld it still be a fire wall issue ?

FSchris

post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Okay i re created the home group and still no go. Let me ask this... How come when I go to my D: drive and select a folder to share... Click share with there is a lock on nobody. When I click share with "home group read/write" the lock never moves.... it just stays on "Nobody". I disabled the firewall on my Local Home network... It is still activated on the "Public side".

fsChris

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Fixed i think... and the solution was not one that i Expected.... I had some
"AVI's" that contained various TV shows and movies.... Which I was sharing and added to the library and when I added the library to WMC I added it under "Videos" ... that caused WMC to just not play them... However when I added those folders to the libaries under "MOVIES" they play just fine over the network..... why this is the case I am not sure.

It had nothing to do with the firewalls or CODECS.... SInce WMP would play them over the network I was confused but It came down to what Libaray I added them to in WMC.

FSChris....

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version