UpConvert Player or Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

I've posted this in the standard DvD section and was suggested that I post and ask over here. So far that's my only reply about this question, any help or suggestions would be nice.

I'm currently looking at putting together a home entertainment center and i have some questions. Currently i'm looking at either buying the Samsung LN40B630 or the Sharp AQUOS LC46D85U. Friend suggested that I look at Sharps even though for awhile i've been stuck on Samsungs. Here's my question, which of the two would produce better upconverting a PC Media Center (If it can be done) or a upconvert dvd player. I never hear anything on PC's upconverting DvD's at all so i'm not even sure if they can but which would offer the best results. Also BlueRay would not be a option for me as I think that BlueRay is just not worth spending the money on at this time.

Now granted on the media center one plus would be to game on it as well which i am a pc gamer. Don't own any consoles cause PC Gaming has always been my area. Something also to throw out would be of course cost. Building the Media Center (if it can upconvert) would be able to play the games as well so to a point that's killing 2 birds with one stone and wouldn't have to move my main computer or get a long monitor cable, but if a STB upconvert dvd player would out perform in quality as well as sound on a player I would then pass the Media Center for better quality. I've read some about how the upconvert process works and that it's all pointed on how good the (processor) guesses on what goes between the lines as it's streached. As far as recording my shows lets just leave that off to the side. I have a HUDGE and I mean HUDGE dvd collection. I just moved into my new place and I have 2 105 Qt Plastic Totes filled with movies and then about maybe a few hundred more stored in my closet right now. I love movies and I love watching them more then once. My favorite and most watched would have to be Black Hawk Down. After it came out on Dvd I would watch it every weekend and not get bored with it at all.

Also i'll get to the sound system later, right now the DvD playback is my biggest issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
In general an upconverting DVD player will do a better job then a PC since all of the video processsing components in the player are designed soly for playing of DVDs. The current generation of grahics card also a good job but all of the hardware and software involved to pay and upconvert the DVD in the PC has to be capable of doing a job.
What make/model of display or TV are is your dislay and what resolution do you need to upscale to over what interface. Some of the current generation of HDTVs use the same upconverting chips as are used in upconverting DVD players so the HDTV itself maybe all that you need.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Some of the current generation of HDTVs use the same upconverting chips as are used in upconverting DVD players so the HDTV itself maybe all that you need.

my sony rptv upconverted the sddvd signal coming into it so it looked just as good as the htpc i have now...

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #4 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

In general an upconverting DVD player will do a better job then a PC since all of the video processsing components in the player are designed soly for playing of DVDs. The current generation of grahics card also a good job but all of the hardware and software involved to pay and upconvert the DVD in the PC has to be capable of doing a job.
What make/model of display or TV are is your dislay and what resolution do you need to upscale to over what interface. Some of the current generation of HDTVs use the same upconverting chips as are used in upconverting DVD players so the HDTV itself maybe all that you need.

Currently i'm looking at either buying the Samsung LN40B630 or the Sharp AQUOS LC46D85U. I'm more of a Samsung person while a friend of mine suggested that I look at Sharp. 1080p prefer. I would have thought that with raw power and it's individual components like video card, ram,and cpu that the PC would be able to do this compared to a dvd player.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A PC can do it but how well it does it is not based on power it is based on makeing sure that all of the components will do an excellent job since the resulting output is a function of the weakest link component. Both Samsung and Sharp have multiple lines of 1080p TVs and the picture quality and the price of the different lines is based on the quality of their display and of their own abilty to upscale as good as or better then any PC or upscaling DVD player.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

So with the 2 models that I listed and without spending like $500 + on just a upscale dvd player what would you suggest for a upscale brand and model?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Regretfully I have not seen any independent reviews of the different models. It appears that the new Samsung LED LCDs with 120Hz processing may provide the best PQ but they are expensive. And of course value is in the eye of the purchase depending on the amount of disposable income available to the purchaseer without borrowing it.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well right now the Samsung it's running at $1199 at BestBuy and there also running a special for the BestBuy CC with any TV or SRS purchase over $799 you get 36 month no intrest if paid in full. I have the cash as well but the no intrest is what i'm looking at. I was close to purchasing it last weekend but as a friend told me that if you don't look like you have the money the people at BestBuy won't even help you. I was there for 30 minutes looking at TV's for the most part and never got asked for any help.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

here is another thing to consider. with a hardware upscaler you cant tweak it. with an htpc you can refine the picture to how you like it.

but really if you have a budget of $500, get a bluray player and let that upscale the sddvds...

dont get an htpc just to upscale, get if for the whole media center experience.

post #10 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean007 View Post

Well right now the Samsung it's running at $1199 at BestBuy and there also running a special for the BestBuy CC with any TV or SRS purchase over $799 you get 36 month no intrest if paid in full. I have the cash as well but the no intrest is what i'm looking at. I was close to purchasing it last weekend but as a friend told me that if you don't look like you have the money the people at BestBuy won't even help you. I was there for 30 minutes looking at TV's for the most part and never got asked for any help.

at that point you ask for a manager and ask why he shouldn't give you 10% off to not buy from a competitor since you cant get anyone to help you. its not like best buy is the only store that sells those tvs... and they will price match...

post #11 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

here is another thing to consider. with a hardware upscaler you cant tweak it. with an htpc you can refine the picture to how you like it.

but really if you have a budget of $500, get a bluray player and let that upscale the sddvds...

dont get an htpc just to upscale, get if for the whole media center experience.

BlueRay is not a option.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Pourquoi?
post #13 of 19 Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

Pourquoi?

why? I don't care for Sony and honestly the Blue Ray Market is still way to low. Even though the prices of the players are coming down I think people are unsure of it. Lets face it there not doing so well. Anyway No Blue Ray at all.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

why? I don't care for Sony and honestly the Blue Ray Market is still way to low. Even though the prices of the players are coming down I think people are unsure of it. Lets face it there not doing so well. Anyway No Blue Ray at all.

Then buy a panasonic or a sharp or a samsung or an LG or a philips or ...

Blu-Ray isn't a Sony product. Most CE company are member of the BDA.
You'll never get anywhere near the quality of a good blu-ray with an upscalling player, be it a HTPC or a SA.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

???

im sorry i got lost somewhere... people are unsure of bluray? its the ONLY HD disk being used.

bluray PQ is flat out amazing especially on a 120hz tv. hell, even a reencoded bluray rip to mkv blows sddvd out of the water...

post #16 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Look I stated at the very 1st post that a Blue Ray player is a no for me so unless you didn't read it at the 1st post i don't know why your surprised. I was asking which was better a upconvert player or a media center.

You know if somebody doesn't like a certain product or company and you do don't make it personal. It's whatever that person wants to do reguardless.

Fair enough?
post #17 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look I stated at the very 1st post that a Blue Ray player is a no for me so unless you didn't read it at the 1st post i don't know why your surprised. I was asking which was better a upconvert player or a media center.

You know if somebody doesn't like a certain product or company and you do don't make it personal. It's whatever that person wants to do reguardless.

Fair enough?

Just trying to educate you on the fact that Blu-Ray isn't a sony only product. Every CE manufacturer except for Toshiba are selling those now and most of them are member of the BDA along with many studios which by the way is THE one controlling Blu-Ray, not Sony.

Rant mode on

Now, you may not want to buy one, and that is your choice, but please, stop propagating that fanboy falsehood that Sony is the hand controlling the puppet. And if that is the only reason you are not buying the ONLY available HD disk format than that is sad.

Rant mode off

You can get an upconverting SA player for $30 these day so why don't you go to Walmart and buy one and try it? You won't break the bank on it.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I know there's a big difference in quality as far as the upscaling goes and I'm just looking for one now that I've been told that the players do a better job then the media centers. I'm wanting a fairly good mid ranged that's not a huge chunk out of my pocket.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The networks use upscaling video processing hardware systems costing many thousands of $ for upscaling programs "filmed" with SD cameras to "HP" resolutions for use on their HD channels.
Therfore when purchasing an upscaling DVD player the old addage "that you get what you pay" for is probably appropriate for upscaling DVD players.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page