Who streams 1080p via Coax? (MoCa) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5 
Home Theater Computers > Who streams 1080p via Coax? (MoCa)
mackworth's Avatar mackworth 11:42 AM 12-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

If that's the case - then that means I don't connect the outbound coax from the MoCA to anything ? Just the ethernet? I'll give that a whirl tonight...

Yes, the diplexer Sat out will cut out everything below 950 or whatever, which is what is required by your TV and cable modem.

mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 06:19 AM 12-31-2009
Hello all. I just bought and installed the Netgear mcab1001. My performance is rather poor ( 4mbs one way, and 6 mbs the other). I am looking for ways to really improve that performance. Currently my cable signal runs into the attic where there is an 6 way splitter ( I can't access the attict right now because of faulty stairs).

I was wondering what could be done to get the speeds up. *I already had a home improvement project of running new coax cables to rooms*, so what is the best cable to run? I have heard RG6; is that correct?

Also I heard installing a POE filter might help, this true? Where can I get a Point Of Entry filter?

What should I look for in a splitter that would make it more moca friendly?

Thanks for your time, and if I can give more info please let me know.

Thanks again,
Mike

EDIT: I have some TV interference with my current setup, so I will adjust the frequency it's running on tonight and that might help my performance.
stanglx's Avatar stanglx 08:38 AM 12-31-2009
If your not already running RG6 then your out of luck... RG6 is required... its like trying to push Gigabit over CAT 5... it may work under short runs but never with splitters and longer runs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk View Post

Hello all. I just bought and installed the Netgear mcab1001. My performance is rather poor ( 4mbs one way, and 6 mbs the other). I am looking for ways to really improve that performance. Currently my cable signal runs into the attic where there is an 6 way splitter ( I can't access the attict right now because of faulty stairs).

I was wondering what could be done to get the speeds up. *I already had a home improvement project of running new coax cables to rooms*, so what is the best cable to run? I have heard RG6; is that correct?

Also I heard installing a POE filter might help, this true? Where can I get a Point Of Entry filter?

What should I look for in a splitter that would make it more moca friendly?

Thanks for your time, and if I can give more info please let me know.

Thanks again,
Mike

EDIT: I have some TV interference with my current setup, so I will adjust the frequency it's running on tonight and that might help my performance.

mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 09:07 AM 12-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

If your not already running RG6 then your out of luck... RG6 is required... its like trying to push Gigabit over CAT 5... it may work under short runs but never with splitters and longer runs..

Thanks for the info. All the marketing info seem to suggest that it was fine with RG59. And they may be right it works, but I guess you aren't going to see good performance with it.

That is fine. I already planned on running new cable to the majority of the house. So I will replace the RG59 when that project rolls around.

Thank you very much for the info!
facke02's Avatar facke02 10:34 AM 12-31-2009
Make sure you have set the channel scan to Auto using the setup utility. What are you using to determine the throughput?
Hypnosis4U2NV's Avatar Hypnosis4U2NV 02:11 PM 12-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Not necessarily true.. RG6 may be preferred but not required for MoCA to operate.. In this case, given his statement that he has interference in his lines, I would recommend RG6 for his particular setup.. I would also look into figuring out a way to kill that 6-way splitter and split from another part of the line as its probably weakening the signal going through it to other parts of the run.. I would also recommend a diplexer splitter be installed at your MoCA device instead of running a signal through it..

If you can replace all or most the old coaxial wiring in the home to RG6, that would be your best option.. If your not able to, I would try re-terminating the ends with F connectors (compression fittings preferred) and maybe swapping out the splitter.. Most of the time, people overlook simple fixes such as those which are frequently related to signal issues..

My setup has a mix of RG59 and RG6 wires and Im getting on average throughputs of 7.55 MB/s or 60.4 Mb/s on my longest run of approximately 100 feet of coaxial which is going through 3 regular splitters..
facke02's Avatar facke02 02:44 PM 12-31-2009
[quote=Hypnosis4U2NV;17823638].. I would also recommend a diplexer splitter be installed at your MoCA device instead of running a signal through it..
QUOTE]

What diplexer are you using and where did you get them?
Hypnosis4U2NV's Avatar Hypnosis4U2NV 04:15 PM 12-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

What diplexer are you using and where did you get them?

I'm using these..
mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 12:27 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

Make sure you have set the channel scan to Auto using the setup utility. What are you using to determine the throughput?

For throughput testing I am using an FTP transfer, but that doesn't seem to be giving me accurate numbers. Do you have any suggestion on what I could use for throughput tests?

I had the netgear device set to auto scan frequency and I was still getting interferance. So i am going to manually mess with the frequency to see if I can manually tune it and get better performance.
mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 12:34 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post

Not necessarily true.. RG6 may be preferred but not required for MoCA to operate.. In this case, given his statement that he has interference in his lines, I would recommend RG6 for his particular setup.. I would also look into figuring out a way to kill that 6-way splitter and split from another part of the line as its probably weakening the signal going through it to other parts of the run.. I would also recommend a diplexer splitter be installed at your MoCA device instead of running a signal through it..

If you can replace all or most the old coaxial wiring in the home to RG6, that would be your best option.. If your not able to, I would try re-terminating the ends with F connectors (compression fittings preferred) and maybe swapping out the splitter.. Most of the time, people overlook simple fixes such as those which are frequently related to signal issues..

My setup has a mix of RG59 and RG6 wires and Im getting on average throughputs of 7.55 MB/s or 60.4 Mb/s on my longest run of approximately 100 feet of coaxial which is going through 3 regular splitters..

Thanks for all that info. I will not be able to remove the splitter for about a month, because I have to fix the attic stair first. I am going to buy a bulk run of RG6U cable and do the cuts and ends myself. First time trying it but I couldn't imagine with the right tools it would be that tough.

I might end up doing a 1 cable run strictly for the moca traffic that doesn't even tie into my cable TV network. Just depends on how much time I have .

Thanks again for all the help. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
facke02's Avatar facke02 12:47 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

For throughput testing I am using an FTP transfer, but that doesn't seem to be giving me accurate numbers. Do you have any suggestion on what I could use for throughput tests?

I had the netgear device set to auto scan frequency and I was still getting interferance. So i am going to manually mess with the frequency to see if I can manually tune it and get better performance.

I use JPerf when I was testing the throughput. Make sure you bump up the TCP Window Size setting. It works good for selecting a frequency manually.
mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 01:32 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

I use JPerf when I was testing the throughput. Make sure you bump up the TCP Window Size setting. It works good for selecting a frequency manually.

Thanks for the tip on Jperf. I am only familiar with TCP from a high level perspective ( IP address, subnets, ect). So I will have to research exactly what TCP Window Size is, so thank you for that tip as well. I will dig into that .

Does it matter if I buy RG6U vs RG6 Quad Shield? I heard Quad Shield is a bit better. There is a difference right?
facke02's Avatar facke02 02:01 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

Thanks for the tip on Jperf. I am only familiar with TCP from a high level perspective ( IP address, subnets, ect). So I will have to research exactly what TCP Window Size is, so thank you for that tip as well. I will dig into that .

Does it matter if I buy RG6U vs RG6 Quad Shield? I heard Quad Shield is a bit better. There is a difference right?

If you're going to the trouble of running cable, I would run RG6 Quad Shield. And if possible, CAT 5e or CAT 6 and eliminate the need for MOCA...
mbmonk's Avatar mbmonk 04:24 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

If you're going to the trouble of running cable, I would run RG6 Quad Shield. And if possible, CAT 5e or CAT 6 and eliminate the need for MOCA...

Lol. I thought that was the case. I will run the Quad shield.

EDIT: I am going to run CAT6, while I am at it. Like you said if you are running it anyways
sccofer's Avatar sccofer 10:10 AM 01-11-2010
Question about the amplifier, so if I understand this correctly, as long as I don't try and pass the MOCA signal to the input side of the amp I should be OK.

I have an 8 port amp where the line comes into the house. I then have a TAP line that goes to the cable modem off of a splitter of some sort and 8 lines going out to various rooms in the house off the amp. If I install the MOCA device onto one of those 8 lines going out of the amp I should be able to see signal on any of the lines except the TAP line that is going to the cable modem, correct? Becuase that is on the input side of the amp?
Hypnosis4U2NV's Avatar Hypnosis4U2NV 10:26 AM 01-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccofer View Post

If I install the MOCA device onto one of those 8 lines going out of the amp I should be able to see signal on any of the lines except the TAP line that is going to the cable modem, correct? Becuase that is on the input side of the amp?

Difficult to answer because its really based on the amp and if it allows for the signal to enter it and feed off to your other splits.. It may or may not allow for it based on its hardware..

Another thing to consider would be that your MoCA signal may weaken moving through so many splits and coaxial.. If your using an amp to amplify the TV signal because its weak getting split to so many locations, your more than likely going to experience the same thing when you connect you MoCA network..

Just my thought..
sccofer's Avatar sccofer 12:37 PM 01-11-2010
I think my amp is not passing the signal above 1000mhz, I have tested installing the MoCa device on one of the 8 lines on the out side of the amp and I have never been able to get the light to go on showing coaxial activity between the two devices. The amp is the only split though, they are all direct coaxial runs to each room so I am hoping once I get the signal around the amp I should be OK. Again it is cable into the house, TAP line to cable modem and out line to amp, then 8 lines out of amp to various rooms in the house.

My plan is to install two diplexers, one to go around the amp and then another to recombine the amplified signal to the line I need ethernet on.
Hypnosis4U2NV's Avatar Hypnosis4U2NV 07:44 PM 01-21-2010
Bumping this thread..

Who is successfully streaming MKV ripped HD at resolutions of 1920 x 1080 over MoCA?

What are you using to encode the MKV and at what settings?
wolfen281's Avatar wolfen281 01:08 PM 01-24-2010
I'd like to say thank you to whoever posted the dual diplexor solution to a cable amplifier interfering with a MoCA.
I purchased the Netgear MCA1001, and hooked them up. I didn't get my coax light like I should. I knew I had an amplifier in the basement, and came to the net to get a solution. I bought 2 Ideal Diplexors from Lowes. And I set them up according to the diagram below. We are now able to stream Netflix on out LG370 with no problems.
Thanks!
Kim

Mugenstylus1's Avatar Mugenstylus1 11:03 AM 03-04-2011
is there any way to have one moca sender and multiple receivers? so i don't have to buy three kits? I'm currently using the Netgear Mcab1001
ToddUGA's Avatar ToddUGA 04:41 PM 06-27-2011
I've got the Netgear Mocas coming Wednesday. I will be using unused coax cable. There is a DirecTV splitter installed on the side of the house that connects all of my coax runs together. Since I no longer have DirecTV should I remove the splitter and just use a barrel connector and connect the two runs of coax that will run between the Mocas and make it one continuous run?
ToddUGA's Avatar ToddUGA 06:26 AM 06-30-2011
Well, got the Netgear MOCA devices installed. They are connected with two continuous runs of coax joined with a barrel connector and no splitters. The cable is pretty new RG6. I figured with no splitters or amps I would be able to stream blu-ray rips reliably. Boy was I wrong. DVD and my 720P files stream no problem but when I try a Blu-ray rip with HD audio it chokes. I think I may just have to bite the bullet, climb in the attic, and run gigabit ethernet throughout the house.
biffbyun's Avatar biffbyun 07:02 AM 06-30-2011
Todd you may also want to try NFS if you are currently using smb as a protocol to stream your content. I have found NFS to be more efficient for multimedia streaming on a magnitude of 2x better then smb. Ultimately I would like to run gigabit as well, but it's such a pain to even think about. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out as an option.
ToddUGA's Avatar ToddUGA 07:29 AM 06-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun View Post

Todd you may also want to try NFS if you are currently using smb as a protocol to stream your content. I have found NFS to be more efficient for multimedia streaming on a magnitude of 2x better then smb. Ultimately I would like to run gigabit as well, but it's such a pain to even think about. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out as an option.

Interesting. I am indeed using SMB. I'll give NFS a try. Thanks.
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 12:44 PM 06-30-2011
Or DLNA instead of SMB.
ToddUGA's Avatar ToddUGA 10:52 AM 07-01-2011
Tried both NFS and DLNA and still couldn't stream Blu-ray rips. Oh well. Been looking for a reason to run gigabit ethernet anyway. Thanks guys.
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 03:02 PM 07-01-2011
If you copy a file from one end to the other what speed do you get?
Bob K.'s Avatar Bob K. 05:27 PM 05-04-2012
Wryker--I experienced the same bandwidth issue with my Netgear MCAB1001 setup when attempting to stream 1080p video. The same videos play flawlessly through a USB hard drive connected to the blu ray player.

PC-->WNDR37AV-->MCA1001-->50ft straight coax-->MCA1001-->LG BD570 (also checked with a BD670)

The files I attempt to stream are 5.7GB to 6.5GB mkv 1080p videos. MediaInfo (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/) indicates the overall bitrate on the file is 16.9 Mbps. While playing the video on a PC, VLC Media Player shows the incoming bitrate generally between 80Kbps and 30Mbps, with occasional spikes up to 40Mbps. In the scenes where the sustained incoming bitrate is 20-35 Mbps, I will get significant stuttering on the LG BD570 blu ray player.

I did a check with LAN Speed Test (http://www.totusoft.com)by connecting my laptop in place of the BD570 and running a 1GB test file across the connection back to my PC. I get read speeds around 80 Mbps and write speeds around 70 Mbps. Despite the 8.5-10MBps bandwidth, I still get stuttering. I suspect there may be enough overhead (not sure if the transport method is TCP, UDP, SMB, etc.) that it's still just not enough bandwidth for the high bitrate sections of 1080p videos.

I'll keep troubleshooting, but for now I'll be pursuing gigabit LAN or just play high bitrate videos through an attached USB hard drive.
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 07:35 AM 05-07-2012
My moca boxes have one light flashing so i know i don't get full bandwith from upstairs to downstairs and i know my 8port boxes don't support gigabit speeds so those combined must be my reasons for not being able to stream any Blu-ray .ts rips.
Bob K.'s Avatar Bob K. 03:05 PM 05-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K. View Post

I suspect there may be enough overhead (not sure if the transport method is TCP, UDP, SMB, etc.) that it's still just not enough bandwidth for the high bitrate sections of 1080p videos.

I'll keep troubleshooting, but for now I'll be pursuing gigabit LAN or just play high bitrate videos through an attached USB hard drive.

I did some more troubleshooting and used Wireshark to watch the packet flow through the MCA1001 to my blu-ray player. Wireshark confirms that the protocol used is CIFS (SMB) and TCP.

I've used a different computer, I've removed the router from the topography, and I've attached a laptop directly to the switch to which the blu-ray player is attached. I've confirmed absolutely that the file streams correctly in all configurations where the MCA1001 adapters are not in the packet path. Lastly, I connected two MCA1001 adapters directly together with a short piece of RG6 cable and then streamed the video through that arrangement: The stuttering immediately returned. I've even used different communications frequencies on the MCA1001 adapters. Performance is similar across all 4 adapters, so I think that rules out a defective adapter.

It seems there's some kind of incompatibility or limitation on the MCA1001, or there's simply so much overhead in the MoCA specification that it won't successfully pass high bitrate video.

I'm totally stumped about why I get consistent 84 Mbps read speeds when using LAN Speed Test (even with huge test files--which still uses CIFS and TCP protocols) yet can't get videos at less than half that bandwidth to pass correctly.

Edit: I've done some more research and I think the problem may be related to the TCP Window size. Using jperf, if I use the default 8 Kbytes TCP Window size, I only get throughput of around 23Mbps. When I manually set the TCP Window size to 128 Kbytes, I get 90Mbps. I've looked at my Wireshark captures and fooled with every TCP setting I can find (using TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php), but I can't seem to change the stuttering. More details in this thread starting with post #83: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...?t=1246&page=9.
First ... 2  3  4 5 

Up
Mobile  Desktop