AVS Forum banner

Remote control suggestions

826 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bighick 
#1 ·
Looking for a remote...mostly looking at the harmony line. Can someone suggest one for my needs.

I need to control:

Comcast Box

Panasonic TV

HTPC that i either run wmp11 or media portal. Looking for the play,stop,ff etc.

I see the prices are all over on the harmony. Is there a point where i'm would be buying more than i need?

thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Over the years I've used a number of different devices, including Philips Pronto, Logitech Harmony, Gyration, etc., but am still looking for the perfect solution for my HTPC needs. Keyboards are, to me, necessary, but not actually used very often day to day.

Has anyone used the newish Gyration Media Center remotes? I don't actually use Windows Media Center, but I really like the idea of a universal remote for HT components combined with an "air" mouse. No keyboard, but it does have a keypad with alphabet functionality (but does that actually work in a pinch?).

Anybody out there using one now?

#4 ·
right now i am using a wireless keyboard with a built in touchpad...works nice but isn't a media keyboard. I also have a pile of remotes...tv,cable box, sat box,and to make it worse there i have a 5.1 decoder box in the middle acting as a splitter for all my inputs.. A simple mce remote would be fine for when i'm on the pc but i would like one to do it all...not looking for everything on the pc end but just to control stop,play,ff etc. will the harmony do this? should i just order a cheap mce kit for the ir reciever?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjack /forum/post/16754782

right now i am using a wireless keyboard with a built in touchpad...works nice but isn't a media keyboard. I also have a pile of remotes...tv,cable box, sat box,and to make it worse there i have a 5.1 decoder box in the middle acting as a splitter for all my inputs.. A simple mce remote would be fine for when i'm on the pc but i would like one to do it all...not looking for everything on the pc end but just to control stop,play,ff etc. will the harmony do this? should i just order a cheap mce kit for the ir reciever?

Harmony can control the transport functions on your PC but your PC needs to be equipped with an IR receiver/software.

As a unified remote the Harmony One is one of the best available.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjack /forum/post/16754782

will the harmony do this? should i just order a cheap mce kit for the ir reciever?

I would start off with the mce ir kit, even if you don't plan on using the included remote as it is still a decent price for the IR receiver. Even the most basic head-to-head universal remote will give you ability to control your PC. The htpc part of it will not be a problem. What matters is what will work best for your entire home theater.

Harmony remotes are quite popular around here because you get a lot for the price. They are consumer level remotes, so there are certainly better, higher end options out there, but for the average home user it is fine.

The Harmony One is a decent remote, but it is not RF. That might not matter for some, but it is a deal breaker for me. I've had way too many issues with IR interference, missed commands, problems with non-techno people not keeping the remote pointed at the tv until it completes its macros, etc and only use RF remotes now. I'm partial to the Universal Remote Control brand's MX line, but they are more expensive.

#7 ·
I use the harmony lines but love URC MX remotes.

As I don't want to start a new thread, I currently have a logitech 620 or something with an IR receiver and blasters for my theater setup but am still using a keyboard and mouse to control the HTPC as I don't know what to get to tie it into the computer.

I use Vista Pro NON media center, media portal, and no tv tuner for the time being. Can someone link me to what IR receiver and possibly what software i need? The cheaper the better since i would assume a receiver is a receiver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.