ATI Radeon 4850 - How to toggle between 2 and 7.1 speaker configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post, and I believe this is the right forum.

ISSUE: I want to toggle quickly from 2.0 to 7.1 speaker configuration, depending on whether I am listening to music or watching a movie. I can make that switch by clicking Control Panel -> Sound -> Realtek HDMI Output -> Configure -> plus four further mouse clicks to complete the switch. I created a "Sound" panel shortcut on my desktop to save the first step, but it still takes too many clicks. There must be a quicker way to toggle between 2.0 and 7.1. Please share your thoughts and insight.

HARDWARE: I have an HTPC for music and movies. It is built on a Intel 6600 Dual Core, and equipped with an ATI Radeon HD 4850. The ATI card connects to my Sony STR-DG720 Receiver via HDMI, and then from the Receiver to my speakers and HDTV. I have a 7.1 surround sound speaker configuration for movies, but prefer that music play in 2.0 channel stereo--the receiver filters low frequency from the 2 channels to the subwoofer (for 2.1 channels).

While the STR-DG720 Receiver is capable of upmixing a 2.0 HDMI signal to 7.1, it does not support downmixing a 7.1 HDMI signal to 2.0/2.1. Even if it did, I suspect the downmix would do a disservice to the intended stereo sound of the music—which I’d rather avoid. I think this means that toggling from 2.0 to 7.1 has to occur at the HTPC level.

OS & SOFTWARE: The HTPC runs Vista Ultimate 64bit. I use the Realtek driver for the ATI card. I use both MPC-HC and VLC for video play. I use Foobar for music.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is there a quick way to toggle between 2.1 and 7.1 speaker configuration, using the Realtek Driver?

2. If no, is there an add-on sound utility I could try? I installed SpeakerTray a while back, which purportedly allows a quick toggle between 5.1 and 2.0, but the ATI card just ignores it.

3. If no, do you have any other suggestions? It's ridiculous that every time I switch from music to movies I have to open three windows and make six mouse clicks to go from stereo to surround sound.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Use AutoHotkey or ReClock with WASAPI exclusive mode (bypass Windows Audio Engine that sends 7.1 whatever the channel number of the source is if you select 7.1 speakers).
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AutoHotKey totally did the trick! Thanks so much.
Reply Home Theater Computers