HD4650 Sound Output Setup Issue - 2 Channels Only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*** DISREGARD *** I didn't realize a speaker wire became disconnected - once reconnected everything performs as expected. Sorry to both you all.

Hi there, I'm new to HTPC, trying to learn more about this by using an old PC I have as a proof-of-concept before I dive deeper.

To handle audio/video output from the PC to my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver, I purchased a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD4650 AGP card (GV-R465D2-1GI) which has an HDMI port on the card. I've installed this card into my Intel P4 pc running XP SP2. Card is connected to the receiver via an HDMI cable.

Video appears to be working just fine, no issues.

Sound output is working too, but not properly. I am only getting sound out of either the center speaker, or center/front right, depending on how I set up the output on the PC and playback mode on receiver. Using the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel dialog, I have audio output set to "ATI HD Rear audio output". Setting the advanced property for this device to:

- "Two Desktop Speakers", the receiver display denotes a 2 speaker setup (L R), but sound comes out of center and/or right speaker only. Changing the playback mode of the receiver changes which of the 2 speakers delivers the sound.

- "5.1 Surround Sound Speakers", the receiver display denotes a 5.1 speaker setup (L C R SL SR), but sound only comes out of center and/or right speaker only. Changing the playback mode of the receiver changes which of the 2 speakers delivers the sound.

In both cases, the display of the receiver also indicates "PCM", as opposed to "DSD" (Direct Stream Digital).

My basic assumption is I have something configured incorrectly on the PC, or am missing a driver or other software component. I did install the HD audio driver from the install disc, which had no affect. Also, this behavior occurs regardless of the audio source on the PC: iTunes, VLC, Windows Media Player, streaming via browser, etc. On the receiver side, I only have this issue with the PC, my Blu-Ray player sound is handled as expected.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the culprit? I have not yet tried contacting the manufacturer, but I get the impression from other posts that I may not be too successful going that route. Also, if I missed a post that explains this, I apologize as I didn't find any. I will continue searching in case I did miss one.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page