HTPC that can switch video? A build challenge... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to build a HTPC that serves as the single focal point for all entertainment in the living room -- something that can do both media serving (movies, music) and video switching. That is, something like this:

I'd like to move video switching from the receiver to the HTPC, so the HTPC is not just a video source to the receiver/TV, but the controller for all other components. Doing this allows for a seamless, integrated entertainment environment, with no fiddling with horrible receiver controls. But I have no idea if this is possible.

My particular requirements:
  • No DVR or tuner required - satellite receiver handles this
  • No external disc player - HTPC uses internal BD drive
  • I have nothing specced out -- need to determine interface software, box specs, external HD specs, etc

Any thoughts? A few older threads here seemed to ask a similar question, with no resolution as yet. If today's (or tomorrow's) HTPC can't do video switching (including HDMI), I can always move the satellite/xbox/wii/etc upstream and connect straight to the receiver. But it would be so much cleaner to have the HTPC do it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Liked: 11
I was looking for a similar solution as my receiver does not have HDMI.

I was looking at switching through HTPC as an interim solution till I replaced my receiver as I prefer switching through the receiver.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Not possible if you actually want to route the video through your PC. Video cards which handle HDCP HDMI input do not exist.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM

hi, buy a video switching device and use serial/cat6/usb-uirt to control it from your htpc.

CaM
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just connect everything to your Receiver and get a Harmony remote. It is not possible to connect components to a HTPC that would look as good, sound as good or be as easy as using a Receiver.

You can configure 1-button setup's on the harmony remote where you can have it do anything you need to do - the options are endless.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM

The only solution I can think of would be to get hauppauge HD-PVR (one for each device). I would think that would at least allow you to input component video into the HTPC. This solution of course would cost more than a mainstream reciever, as you would need one for each device.

Just hook everything up to the reciever (Thats why it is there in the first place).
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

Just connect everything to your Receiver and get a Harmony remote. It is not possible to connect components to a HTPC that would look as good, sound as good or be as easy as using a Receiver.

You can configure 1-button setup's on the harmony remote where you can have it do anything you need to do - the options are endless.

This is the way to do it
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies; I like the Harmony idea. That comes closest to my dream of true component integration and single control point. The HTPC, for me, will be just a media server.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

On harmony remotes, if your primary usage of the remote is going to be HTPC with DVR/Movies, I've found the 670 to have the best layout (close proximity of OK, arrows, and play, stop, FF, RW, etc) and at a decent price point. It also has the 'learn IR' port which is useful if you have a device/remote that doesn't exist on the Harmony website.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page