The *Official* GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD 785G Chipset Motherboard Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 728 Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

The ALC889A is for your analog/spdif. Get the ATI hdmi driver or the Realtek ATI hdmi driver which seems more stable. But with 4200 you only get 2 channel lpcm which can be used for 5.1 DD or DTS. Same as spdif but over hdmi.

Do I need to configure anything for it to pass as lpcm? I would assume not since there really is nothing in the realtek control panel which can be configured outside of 2 channel. Should my receiver recognize the DD or DTS? Currently if I set it to "Auto", I just get stereo. As a result I've been running it on NEO 6 to get surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 728 Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Got my new HTPC build done yesterday:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H
AMD Phenom II X3 705e 2.5GHz 65W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
WD 320GB SATA II WD3200AAJS
nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B Micro ATX case
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 380W PSU

I installed Windows 7 x64 and the ATI Catalyst 9.12 drivers. I have to say, what a pain the new ATI CCC is. I can't believe what it took to find the overscan/underscan options in the new CCC. I did find them however and I'll share for anyone having the same issue. Under Desktop and Display, right-click on the monitor icon in the lower left and you'll get a Configure... menu. It's all in there now. Horrible.

Other than that it's been great. I tried to unlock the 4th core but to no avail. It unlocked to a Phenom II X4 05e but was unstable. I tried upping the voltage a bit but then my temps started going through the roof. No thanks.

I have to say things really fly now. I notice the biggest difference in performance in W7MC. The photo slideshow screensaver, switching menus, start up times, etc. are just so much better. My WEI numbers are way up over my 780G/5050e combination from before.

This was my second HTPC build, both with Gigabyte mobos. I have to say I am very happy.

Now, as for sound, I did get DD5.1 working without disabling the onboard audio. I installed the Realtek drivers from the Realtek site. I then had to go into the Realtek HD Audio configuration and add DD5.1, DTS, etc. as supported formats and save. I accessed this through the Control Panel > Sounds > Manage Audio Devices. Then you click on the Realtek device, hit the properties button and go to the Supported Formats tab. Only then did I start getting DD5.1 on my AVR through the HDMI. So, yeah, it works. You can even set it up so it outputs DD5.1 all the time, even for Windows sounds. What's nice about that is no delay/clicking in my AVR when it switches back and forth between 2-ch LPCM and DD5.1.

Does it make a difference that you are using the UD2H mobo, as opposed to the US2H mobo for the 5.1 to pass over the HDMI? When you look in the Realtek control panel at the speaker config, do you see 5.1 in the drop down?
post #483 of 728 Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Hello to all,

I assume that this particular threath/topic is still being looked at. I got the GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard over the christmas break. I put it together last week. I can't complain about problems except the audio, hence my post and me reading all of these 17pages. Some of the advice that is given here is good, I'll give it a try when I get home, however, since all of us have different set up, I'd like to ask you guys what would be the best for me based on the information I give you.

This is what I have - AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4 gigs of ram, WIN 7 ultimate 64 bit, the motherboad of course. I have it connected the following way, HDMI from a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 220 to a VIZIO LCD TV 47", I have no problems with this, it's perfect. The audio though, connection SPDIF OUT from the onboard port to a LG receiver 5.1. I am able to hear sound, however, when I want to set up the speakers, I can see them but there is no sound at all.
Can you kindly advice what would I need to do or what would work best for me to do the 5.1 set up and is it even possible to include the TV speakers to have them work simultaneously with the home theather system?

Thanks!
post #484 of 728 Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Can someone confirm ECC memory support in the BIOS? Do any ECC options exist in there? If someone could confirm I'd appreciate it!! I can't find this information anywhere.

sh0x
post #485 of 728 Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvario View Post

Hello to all,

I am able to hear sound, however, when I want to set up the speakers, I can see them but there is no sound at all.

@calvario: huh?
post #486 of 728 Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Hi Sh0x:

It does not make sense now that I read it eh. Let me try to explain. When I go to the sounds icon on control panel, I have three options: 1) My TV SV470M-C-1, Nvidia High Definition Audio 2) Speakers and 3) Realtek Digital Audio.
When I click on Speakers, there is an option to configure it, then I get the audio channels, I choose 5.1 but when I click on the speakers nothing comes out, there is no sounds. None of the options come out with sound.
If I click on TV high definition audio, and click on configure, I get only two speakers which are stereo and I hear sound when I click on them.
That's what I was trying to explain.

I did try however, what IVAN posted on page 16, connect through HDMI from PC to TV and then SPDIF from home theather device to TV. I get sounds as well coming from TV and home theather device, but it's out of sync. I guess this is the only option I have for this now.
Question - how can I set AC3 and DTS decoders to bypass?
Would there be any other options to make the sound better? Like software wise or should I just buy a sound card with SPDIF port? If so, do you have any brand that's good to recommend?

I hope this clears it a bit, if not, please let me know.

Thanks,
post #487 of 728 Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htaddicted View Post

Thanks for your reply. The 4-pin ATX connector could only be inserted into the bottom two pins. The way they designed it, I couldn't insert them into the top. So, I think I have that correct. And yes, my beep sequence doesn't really match any that the manual says but the sequence is correct.

Just wanted to post back to say I got it figured out. Stupid mistake. I thought I had pushed RAM sticks all the way in but I guess it wasn't completely seated in. So, once I put it all in, voila. Got it to boot! As for the sequence of beeps, I have no clue why it was different than what's in the manual.
post #488 of 728 Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Folks,

I am not sure where to ask this - but this seems the right place.

I am having issues with Live TV and recorded stuttering, I also sometimes get a blank screen of nothing recorded midway through a recording.

I believe I am using the lastest drivers as I only built it last month.

I also sometimes get Windows 7 being a bit non-responsive.

My initial thoughts are - change the drive, perhaps the Green WD is holding things up.

Any other thoughts ?

Here is my set-up

The Board - MA785GM-US2H
Memory 4 GB DDR2-800 (Crucial)
Video - none - I am using the HDMI port
Audio - onboard ports only
Decoder card - ATI TV Wonder 650 - I have just using the signal from a STB
Harddisk - WD 1.5 TB Green Drive - single drive for OS and recordings
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
PSU - Enermax Tomahawk 405W
Case - nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B Micro ATX case

I do link the media center through a Airlink Homelink plug to my router upstairs for internet access. Disconnecting this seems makes no difference.

There is also a WHS that move recordings to everynight. But the issues occur when recordings are not moved to WHS, the recordings only move to the WHS at 3am when there are no recordings
post #489 of 728 Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Calvario,

Have you tried going in and disabling the on board audio? I was having the same problem with my board. I couldn't get HDMI audio to work while, the opto connection worked fine. If I disabled the onboard audio, the ATI audio takes over and that will give you HDMI audio out. You need to disable the onboard audio in the CMOS options.
post #490 of 728 Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwkurt View Post

Calvario,

Have you tried going in and disabling the on board audio? I was having the same problem with my board. I couldn't get HDMI audio to work while, the opto connection worked fine. If I disabled the onboard audio, the ATI audio takes over and that will give you HDMI audio out. You need to disable the onboard audio in the CMOS options.

I can change it back and forth easily on mine. You go into the control panel under audio and choose which one you want as default.
post #491 of 728 Old 01-22-2010, 03:23 PM

I cannot get this board to recognise my SATA drives. Regardless of mode (Native IDE, Raid, AHCI), regardless of bios version (flashed to latest), and regardless of plug on the board itself (worst position for SATA plugs ever btw).

Any ideas?
post #492 of 728 Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM

I've resolved my audio issue.

This may have been covered at some point earlier, so I apologize if that is the case. I've been having an issue with TMT3 when I come out of S3. If I try to play media (from WHS, from local disc, from BD ROM) after bringing the PC out of S3, it locks up the PC. It locks to the point that I can't even kill TMT3 using task manager.

Has anybody else had the same issue? If so, how did you take care of it?
post #493 of 728 Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post

Does it make a difference that you are using the UD2H mobo, as opposed to the US2H mobo for the 5.1 to pass over the HDMI? When you look in the Realtek control panel at the speaker config, do you see 5.1 in the drop down?

I saw DTS and DD as supported formats and added them. I am pretty sure all that does is tell it to pass through the DTS and DD instead of decoding it.

post #494 of 728 Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

This may have been covered at some point earlier, so I apologize if that is the case. I've been having an issue with TMT3 when I come out of S3. If I try to play media (from WHS, from local disc, from BD ROM) after bringing the PC out of S3, it locks up the PC. It locks to the point that I can't even kill TMT3 using task manager.

I have a similar issue but in W7MC. If I've been in S3, come out of it and then try to play a movie from the Movies menu it locks up the PC as soon as I press play. I get no response at all from the PC and need to hit the front panel reset switch. I haven't tried exiting/restarting W7MC too see if it behaves differently.

post #495 of 728 Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I have a similar issue but in W7MC. If I've been in S3, come out of it and then try to play a movie from the Movies menu it locks up the PC as soon as I press play. I get no response at all from the PC and need to hit the front panel reset switch. I haven't tried exiting/restarting W7MC too see if it behaves differently.

I have the issue if I try to open a file using just TMT3, or if I'm going through W7MCE. Exiting/restarting MCE makes no difference.
post #496 of 728 Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The problem where coming out of S3 breaks video playback is due to the Catalyst drivers. Go back to Catalyst 9.8 and the problem will go away. I know this bug affects 9.9, 9.10, 9.11, and 9.12. I'm not sure if the new 10.1 has fixed the problem. Anyone try 10.1 yet??? Does it fix playback issues on HD3200 and HD4200 chipsets?

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #497 of 728 Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett View Post

The problem where coming out of S3 breaks video playback is due to the Catalyst drivers. Go back to Catalyst 9.8 and the problem will go away. I know this bug affects 9.9, 9.10, 9.11, and 9.12. I'm not sure if the new 10.1 has fixed the problem. Anyone try 10.1 yet??? Does it fix playback issues on HD3200 and HD4200 chipsets?

So, does the issue affect HD3200 and HD4200 solely, or is it anything that 9.9 touches? I'm looking at putting a new vid card in anyway, but I'm just curious.
post #498 of 728 Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM

I can't verify, but from what I've read discreet cards are not affected by this particular bug. I was using a HD3450 PCIe card until I purchased my new motherboard and did not have problems with S3 breaking video playback with that card using 9.10. I upgraded my HTPC in November to the HD4200, but I also upgraded from Vista to Win7 at that time so I am unsure whether or not running Vista or Win7 matters.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #499 of 728 Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Hey everybody - I am struggling with the SPDIF. I just got a new toslink cable (the square one), and it will NOT plug in to the back of the board. It pops right out everytime.

It plugs into a PS2 and a PS3 just fine - did I get the wrong size or something? Is there something I have to do to the actual board?
post #500 of 728 Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM

I see a lot of people talking about this board locking up the video after S3 resume. I have this board with a HIS HD 4670 and a Hauppauge 2250. Sometimes when I come home the computer will have awoke to record and be locked up/slow/unresponsive. Process explorer shows the "system" process (not "system idle" process) at 100% cpu and it will have been this way since it started recording (not good to have the cpu pegged from a 10am recording to when I get home at 9pm). Task manager generally won't show anything. Occasionally netflix on demand will lock up the same way. Does this sound like the same problem mentioned here a few times?

Miataguy
post #501 of 728 Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Ok, I have been struggling since purchasing this board. I thought it would be an end all after my Zotac GF8200 board died.

I have an IN72 projector which runs a native resolution of 854x480. After much strife trying to get Catalyst and Powerstrip to run this res. I gave up.

Powerstrip would accept the resolution, but output it at 1024x768. I search quite a bit more and found a thread on another site that had some registry changes you could add that would force the resolutions. Now I have the resolution I like, but it is still doing something to the image that is making it out of focus. I believe it is still resizing it somehow.

Coming from experience, any Nvidia gpu has been able to attain this resolution. When they have it is i CRYSTAL clear. I was hoping to upgrade to a 4200gpu by purchasing this board.

I am using the US2H board and either HDMI or DVI to display the image on an infocus IN72 (basically SP4805).

Any info or assistance?
post #502 of 728 Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:

I don't really get it.

The onboard graphic puts 2 channel audio on hdmi. But you guys here refer to DTS (which should be more then 2.0) or do i get something wrong?

Is two channels 5.1?

I'm confused
post #503 of 728 Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't say about this board - although I may buy one this week - but the digital streams being sent to the HDMI require your external a/v receiver to decode DD5.1 and/or DTS. When they're talking about 2-channel audio it's L+R and is either a PCM digital stream, or analog... but I don't run my HDMI to my television, it goes to my A/V receiver where the Digital (SPDIF) stream is stripped and decoded. The HDMI then goes out to my PJ.
post #504 of 728 Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Can anyone tell me if this board will let me unlock the 4th core of an AMD Athlon II X3 425? Also hoping to underclock when processor intensive tasks are not in use. Thanks.
post #505 of 728 Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been testing my new system and I was successful unlocking my 435 to a Propus core (i.e. no L3 cache) as well as OC'ing to 3.4xx GHz at 1600 on my GSkill 2x2GB RAM. I've run Prime95 and it's stable! Haven't tackled the audio yet as it's still in my 'build' room away from my audio system.
post #506 of 728 Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM

I'm in love with this mobo. Was able to get Vista to recognise HDMI and now I have matrixed 7.1 from DD and dts 5.1 straight from my ONKYO 605. The only problem is the driver cd. If someone is going to buy this board I recommend going to the Gigabyte web site and download drivers rather then use the CD. The CD will lock up your computer. I've been able to overclock my Athlon 64 x2 5000+ from 2.6GHz to 3.0GHz. If your are going to OC your CPU I suggest using the AMD Overdrive Application, it's downloadable from the AMD web site it has settings for Novice and Advance.

Oh and another thing it even supports DDR2 PC4200 (533MHz) eventhough the documentation doesn't say that.
post #507 of 728 Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

But with 4200 you only get 2 channel lpcm which can be used for 5.1 DD or DTS. Same as spdif but over hdmi.

So when i understand it correct, when i watch a .MKV file with DD5.1 / DTS sound the 4200 will passes DD5.1/DTS over the HDMI connection on too my AVR? And if i watch a Dolby TrueHD movie, the 4200 chip will downmix that to 5.1 i presume?

Thanks for the answer
post #508 of 728 Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post

Folks,

I am not sure where to ask this - but this seems the right place.

I am having issues with Live TV and recorded stuttering, I also sometimes get a blank screen of nothing recorded midway through a recording.

I believe I am using the lastest drivers as I only built it last month.

I also sometimes get Windows 7 being a bit non-responsive.

My initial thoughts are - change the drive, perhaps the Green WD is holding things up.

Any other thoughts ?

Here is my set-up

The Board - MA785GM-US2H
Memory 4 GB DDR2-800 (Crucial)
Video - none - I am using the HDMI port
Audio - onboard ports only
Decoder card - ATI TV Wonder 650 - I have just using the signal from a STB
Harddisk - WD 1.5 TB Green Drive - single drive for OS and recordings
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
PSU - Enermax Tomahawk 405W
Case - nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B Micro ATX case

I do link the media center through a Airlink Homelink plug to my router upstairs for internet access. Disconnecting this seems makes no difference.

There is also a WHS that move recordings to everynight. But the issues occur when recordings are not moved to WHS, the recordings only move to the WHS at 3am when there are no recordings

I as well am experiencing stuttering HDTV playback in my fresh Win7 64 install in 7MC using onboard graphics (IGP Radeon 4200). the strange thing is, If I uninstall all Radeon drivers (in control panel), the stuttering playback issue dissapears and video runs flawlessly. Regardless of Catalyst install though, I can playback 1080P MKV in XBMC without a single issue.

I am going to try to increase IGP memory in bios (from 128MB to higher amount like 512MB). I'll report back.
post #509 of 728 Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Posted elsewhere, similar to the above:

Just built a new HTPC

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H MoBo
4GB DDR2 RAM
Hauppauge 2250 Tuner
Phenom 240 REGOR (2.N GHZ whatever)
HDD
Installed fresh Home Premium Win 7 OEM edition. Everything working stable.

I am experiencing an absolutely bizarre problem though. Installing the latest Catalyst drivers leads to terrible/stuttering HDTV watching in Windows Media Center (7MC) software. When I uninstall all Radeon drivers (and windows uses default driver) playback is silky smooth. I have tried the latest 10.2 Catalyst as well as an older version (9.12) and this leads to the same problem in playback. BOTH playback as well as the Media Center GUI animations struggle. Uninstall all Radeon drivers in control panel and I get flawless 7MC playback.

With or without Radeon drivers, I can playback 1080P MKV files without issue or dropped frames in the 9.11 XBMC software (CPU decoding).

Anyone have any experience with this? I've read somewhere that increasing the amount of RAM available to the IGP in the BIOS helps, but can't figure out why no Radeon drivers trumps latest drivers? Perhaps 7MC without drivers becomes CPU bound for the directshow decoder and when I install the drivers tries to use the IGP and struggles due to low memory?

Thanks for any help...
post #510 of 728 Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You are a bit ahead of me in my build but I would suggest the 512 Video RAM in BIOS. I've read where 7MC isn't very good with studder but I plan to use MediaPortal.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page