HTPC loses Sharp LCD, or blown-up resolution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I have a XP Pro SP2 HTPC running video from a HDCP-enabled nVidia 8600 GTS via DVI -> HDMI cable to a Denon 3808 receiver, and from the Denon 3808 to a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos, from Costco, bought in 2007.

The HTPC is set to go to S3 sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. Power to the TV and AVR are turned off via universal remote.

Recently I've experienced two new issues: primarily, when resuming from sleep, the TV seems not to receive a signal and as a result gives no picture. Occasionally it will wake up and the resolution will be blown up to where the screen shows just a small section of the overall desktop, and moving the mouse will cause the screen to scroll around.

I don't know if this is due to computer drivers, computer hardware, something in the receiver, or the TV itself. I've tried updating the plug n play driver, but it seems like the old 2001 (or so) generic monitor driver is the latest. The card has two DVI outputs, and I have tried using both to no avail. If I reboot, I'll see "normal" resolution with the POST screen, and XP will load at the appropriate resolution. If I pull one of the HDMI cables (input to AVR, output from AVR to TV) and replug it in, the picture will return (I haven't tried when the resolution blows up / zooms).

I don't know what I could have done to bring this on, but this definitely never used to happen.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

(bump)
post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11
I have seen these problems but with amd cards video drivers not nvidea, look at the drivers get the latest or roll back to what was working before. do a search there are similar topics in here on the issue you have but as I said mostly amd cards I think.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Is it possible this has something to do with the monitor's EDID? I found a bit on this, but I'm not sure whether this is the right direction to take this.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Liked: 11
I have the exact same sharp lcd and use hdmi in with pixelmap I think its called set through the tv at 1 to 1 video set to 1920x1080p @60hz and dont have this issue with my amd card.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoppa View Post

Hi All, I have a XP Pro SP2 HTPC running video from a HDCP-enabled nVidia 8600 GTS via DVI -> HDMI cable to a Denon 3808 receiver, and from the Denon 3808 to a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos, from Costco, bought in 2007.

The HTPC is set to go to S3 sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity. Power to the TV and AVR are turned off via universal remote.

Recently I've experienced two new issues: primarily, when resuming from sleep, the TV seems not to receive a signal and as a result gives no picture. Occasionally it will wake up and the resolution will be blown up to where the screen shows just a small section of the overall desktop, and moving the mouse will cause the screen to scroll around.

I don't know if this is due to computer drivers, computer hardware, something in the receiver, or the TV itself. I've tried updating the plug n play driver, but it seems like the old 2001 (or so) generic monitor driver is the latest. The card has two DVI outputs, and I have tried using both to no avail. If I reboot, I'll see "normal" resolution with the POST screen, and XP will load at the appropriate resolution. If I pull one of the HDMI cables (input to AVR, output from AVR to TV) and replug it in, the picture will return (I haven't tried when the resolution blows up / zooms).

I don't know what I could have done to bring this on, but this definitely never used to happen.

Any ideas?

I have this issue with Windows 7 with a Nvidia 8600gt, a Denon 889 and a Sharp LCD 52". Did you find a solution? I've tried the MCE Standby tools to no avail...
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 AM

You might find your solution in the EDID override thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091403

zzyckz
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page