Windows failed to play the test tone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all

I'm a little new around here and have an issue with a Dell Studio 1555 laptop which has an HDMI port that I'm trying to make use of.

Now I have a few issues, and from Googling until the early hours of the morning it seems I'm not alone.

My setup is as follows:
I have a Yamaha DSP-AX763 setup which has been working fine with a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and Sky HD as the HDMI sources.

I've had no issues with these, however, I've no tried to connect my new laptop, it's a Dell Studio 1555 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 on board card with an HDMI out. I don't have a DVI output on the laptop, so I can't use Gefen's DVI Detective I'm afraid.

Now my issue is that when I play the Dell through the amp I don't get any audio, the video works fine.
However, when I plug the laptop straight into the screen which is a Panasonic TH42PV500 I get sound and video.

Now I've been looking around at that one and I've had no success in finding a solution that works for me, so any advice would be great.

I also have another issue, where Windows won't allow me to play a test sound, either a DTS or Dolby Digital sound. I get the following error message: "windows was unable to play the test tone support for this format will be disabled" I've tried various tests and I still have no luck.
Is this just a simple issue like a missing driver? If it is I can't seem to find a driver for it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've done a lot of reading on this forum and the level of knowledge and help looks superb so hopefully you will be able to help me out as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyfold View Post

Hey all

I'm a little new around here and have an issue with a Dell Studio 1555 laptop which has an HDMI port that I'm trying to make use of.

Now I have a few issues, and from Googling until the early hours of the morning it seems I'm not alone.

My setup is as follows:
I have a Yamaha DSP-AX763 setup which has been working fine with a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and Sky HD as the HDMI sources.

I've had no issues with these, however, I've no tried to connect my new laptop, it's a Dell Studio 1555 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 on board card with an HDMI out. I don't have a DVI output on the laptop, so I can't use Gefen's DVI Detective I'm afraid.

Now my issue is that when I play the Dell through the amp I don't get any audio, the video works fine.
However, when I plug the laptop straight into the screen which is a Panasonic TH42PV500 I get sound and video.

Now I've been looking around at that one and I've had no success in finding a solution that works for me, so any advice would be great.

I also have another issue, where Windows won't allow me to play a test sound, either a DTS or Dolby Digital sound. I get the following error message: "windows was unable to play the test tone support for this format will be disabled" I've tried various tests and I still have no luck.
Is this just a simple issue like a missing driver? If it is I can't seem to find a driver for it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've done a lot of reading on this forum and the level of knowledge and help looks superb so hopefully you will be able to help me out as well.

Thanks

Have you set up the HDMI as the default audio path in the audio properties panel?

Right click on the speaker icon and select playback devices.
Then select HDMI as the default audio path.

Wait, just re read your post...you don't get audio through the AVR but do get it straight to the TV.

Odd. Would seem like an input select issue on your AVR, but if video is coming through but not audio, that would not make sense.

Is your AVR HDMI 1.3 compliant?

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Have you set up the HDMI as the default audio path in the audio properties panel?

Is your AVR HDMI 1.3 compliant?

Yes and yes.

I'm somewhat confused, and I hate being beaten by stuff like this!!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

James, you should have started a new thread, since your problem has nothing to do with the original thread, and it's 6 months old.

What software are you using to play the blu-rays? It's possible that it doesn't support hardware acceleration of the video, or that it's disabled.

Quote:

updating drivers (didn't follow through on this)

Why didn't you do this? Always run the latest drivers.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
So, I had this same problem last night trying to switch from using SPDIF to HDMI audio. No test tone. I have a homemade build and a Onkyo HTIB AVR.

After fiddling for a while and becoming frustrated I realized I hadn't changed the sound input on my AVR to use HDMI! Given that it works with your TV, any chance this is a config problem on your AVR? Do you need to go into the AVR setup and tell it to use HDMI for the sound? I did.

Oh, and don't be dismayed if your HDA config says it's only 2-channel LPCM. That just means the PC isn't going to do the decoding of DD/DTS 5.1. It'll still send it to your AVR to decode it. At least, in my case anyway with ATI HD3200 (780G) and HDMI.

[EDIT]
Oh sh*t, I didn't realize this thread was ancient. I hope the OP got it straightened.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, something wasn't right. Glad to hear they're replacing it.

This whole forum is for HTPC topics. Just start a new thread next time
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

As there is not a catagory of Windows HTPC how do folks find it?
How do I start a new thread if there is not a catagory for it? There really should be one for Windows.
Thanks for your help.?

The Mac and Linux forums are SUB-Forums. Everything that doesn't go in those goes in the main board here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page