post #31 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

Those WD greens are the only thing I ever buy any more for storage... except a boot OS. I used to us maxtor years ago and then seagate. WD seems to be the current brand of choice for many.

Yeah, I just got one of the new 32MB cache models and ran it hard for hours. Afterwards, you couldn't even find a warm spot on it

I used to use a lot of Maxtors too. Especially when Staples was all but giving them away with rebates and coupons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-05-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

could i use http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...e.html?ms-whso on my old pc to turn it into a media server and would it work fine on on old machine which is a pentium 4 3gz
post #33 of 38 Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They discussion on power use for that old Pentium 4, motherboard, and 9800 ati graphics card is very relevant.
For about $100 you can get the NewEgg motherboard+cpu deal of the day, an e5200 CPU + G31 based motherboard. Replacing the P4 + old m-board + 9800 graphics with e5200 + embedded graphics will probably drop your power use by 50-100 watts, that will easily pay for the upgrade from energy cost savings.
post #34 of 38 Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie26 View Post

could i use http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...e.html?ms-whso on my old pc to turn it into a media server and would it work fine on on old machine which is a pentium 4 3gz

Yes. WHS will run just fine on any P4-based system. I would recommend at least 1GB of RAM though.
post #35 of 38 Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...rver/eval.mspx thanks for all your help, im going to try this trial, ive burned it to dvd and just wanted to know is, do i just have to put the dvd into the old computer and install just like you would with vista, sorry totally new to all this, many thanks for any help
post #36 of 38 Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM

I am in the process of attempting this same thing, and I just have a question regarding network speed for streaming video. The PC has a built in 100mbs network, and I was wondering if it's worth it to go out and get a PCI gigabit network card. If I also install a pci raid card, could the network and raid card fighting for bandwidth on the pci bus really slow the whole process down? Is a 100mbs network fast enough if I wanted to one day stream blu-ray?
post #37 of 38 Old 08-09-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

hey all, can anyone help me please, ive downloaded http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...rver/eval.mspx burned it to dvd, put it into my old xp pc but it wont boot, the pc is set to boot from dvd but it does not seem to boot from the dvd can anyone help me please
post #38 of 38 Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been thinking about combining my daughter's desktop and my media server as of late.

She has a laptop that she basically uses as a desktop replacement. She does use her desktop anymore unless she is playing a demanding game (1st person shooter) but even that is rare.

She plays games like AOE AOM Guild Wars. Her HP Pavilion DV4307 does fine. I am upgrading from a 1.73 Pentium M to 2.13 and upping it from 1 to 2gbs.

I have been thinking of picking up a cheap dock for her laptop and combining them. We have one of those computer switches at work that switches the monitor as well as the keyboard and mouse. We used to use that with our work server before we went with a rack sysem.

Seeing as she uses the laptop 95% of the time, I think I may combine the two.

Not sure if this would work for you, but many of us have spare computers in different rooms. No reason you couldn't dual function a machine.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page