Windows 7 Room Correction - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am under the impression that Windows Vista included the ability to do digital room correction, as suggested by this page (scroll down to "Room Correction"), but when I go to the same place in Windows 7 (build 7100), the "Enhancements" tab that previously housed the room correction setting doesn't seem to be there.

Does anyone know if it has been moved in or removed from Windows 7? I know there are alternatives, but they seem overly complex or overly expensive, and I'm really only wanting some basic room correction.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The "Enhancements" tab is there in my Realtek + ATI HDMI Win7 RTM system , but not for my Asus HDAV1.3 or E-MU cards in both Vista and Win7 RTM.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

The "Enhancements" tab is there in my Realtek + ATI HDMI Win7 RTM system , but not for my Asus HDAV1.3 or E-MU cards in both Vista and Win7 RTM.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Thanks. I have the ASUS HDAV1.3, so that must be why. I wonder if this will be fixed via a future update to either the ASUS HDAV1.3, or a windows update.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't even think these are 'Windows' enhancements but enhancements provided by the driver of your sound card, or at least a combination of the two (the hardware driver has to support the Windows enhancement features).

When I go to the settings for my X-Fi XtremeGamer I have no enhancements. When I go to the on board realtek sound, I do have the enhancement tab.

Since the majority of people these days use on board realtek and not external sound cards, it could easily be confused as a Window's feature, especially when the article in question is from a blog.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Problem with the HDAV1.3 is the PAP issue. If the audio path is proprietarily protected by the Arcsoft/TMT SW/HW solution, then there's no way for Windows doing DRC on the audio stream. For the HDAV1.3 Deluxe in analogue mode this could be a problem, as we're left with the very crude 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter + FlexBass capabilities in the Xonar HDAV Center, and of course, basic receiver/pre-pro adjustments.

Now so far there's no indication that Asus nor Arcsoft care very much about HDAV1.3 analogue anymore as the problem of 24->16 bit-depth donwconversion is still there, main focus being bitstreaming. So, yes I'm really pessimistic that we'll see any new development in this direction.

With Slyplayer hopefully soon in town the 7.1 Essence ST looks like the best analogue sound card to get. With no PAP in the way you get Windows DRC (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong, the XONAR D2X accepts Windows DRC) and lossless, non downsampled/downconverted audio, and excellent SQ of course.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calan View Post

Hi. I am under the impression that Windows Vista included the ability to do digital room correction, as suggested by this page (scroll down to "Room Correction"), but when I go to the same place in Windows 7 (build 7100), the "Enhancements" tab that previously housed the room correction setting doesn't seem to be there.

Does anyone know if it has been moved in or removed from Windows 7? I know there are alternatives, but they seem overly complex or overly expensive, and I'm really only wanting some basic room correction.

Thanks.

Nope, still there in Windows 7. But, as has been said, it depends on which hardware and drivers are installed as to if it's available or not.

Specifically, Windows Vista and 7 have built-in DRC, and using the native audio drivers (if they work), DRC should always appear. However, many sound card drivers override the built-in Windows DRC, either making it unavailable or replacing it with the driver provider's own DRC (such as Realtek does), which is more often than not vastly inferior to the native Windows DRC.

--michael
Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Windows has a set of default APOs (Audio Processing Objects) that are built into Windows. The APOs must be loaded by the driver so if you use a non-Microsoft driver it will be hit and miss if the driver vendor has included the Microsoft APOs in the install. If you use the Microsoft driver (there is a built in driver for HD Audio and USB) then you will be able to use APOs and they will be listed under the enhancements tap of the endpoint properties.

Windows 7 does include the room correction enhancements.

-Rian
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchung View Post

Windows has a set of default APOs (Audio Processing Objects) that are built into Windows. The APOs must be loaded by the driver so if you use a non-Microsoft driver it will be hit and miss if the driver vendor has included the Microsoft APOs in the install. If you use the Microsoft driver (there is a built in driver for HD Audio and USB) then you will be able to use APOs and they will be listed under the enhancements tap of the endpoint properties.

Windows 7 does include the room correction enhancements.

-Rian

Hi Rian,
About a year ago you guided me through the steps to reconfigure my computer to use the Microsoft driver so that I could use the DRC in vista. At the time, you were annoyed that so few of the driver vendors had given users access to the APOs, including DRC. I am sorry to see that the vendors have done so little to remedy this situation.

Does 7 have any features that vista does not? I could not figure out any way, for example, to tailor the correction target curve in the vista DRC to something closer to my preference.

best
jeff
Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so any other alternatives rather then the windows software that does the same thing ?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Look at my sig, diy dsp. A product called Equalizer APO is open source for windows. You can use a mic with REW (room eq wizard) to measure, equalize and export text filter settings that work with equalizer APO. It rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement