A look at some Wireless Keyboard solutions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those interested, just posted a blog on a few wireless keyboard solutions for the HTPC.

http://links.amd.com/remote1

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I had tried the MS 7000 Ent. Desktop and had connectivity issues with the mouse. The keyboard's touchpad was hit or miss as well.

I recently purchased the Logitech DiNovo Keyboard for Notebooks and the Logitech MX Revolution Mouse. Both products are RF and so far have been flawless from my 12 to 15 foot range. It would have been nice to have some sort of mouse control on the keyboard, but I haven't missed it yet. The mouse works perfect for me and most often I just grab the mouse when I need HTPC control that my remote or RDP from my laptop will not provide.

post #3 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I had tried the MS 7000 Ent. Desktop and had connectivity issues with the mouse. The keyboard's touchpad was hit or miss as well.

I recently purchased the Logitech DiNovo Keyboard for Notebooks and the Logitech MX Revolution Mouse. Both products are RF and so far have been flawless from my 12 to 15 foot range. It would have been nice to have some sort of mouse control on the keyboard, but I haven't missed it yet. The mouse works perfect for me and most often I just grab the mouse when I need HTPC control that my remote or RDP from my laptop will not provide.

I have heard a lot of people that liked the MS 7000, but I did not have it to personally test out. However, the goal was to show a few different solutions.

I recently saw a post here on one of the logitech keyboards on sale for ~$20 or so. Looked to be a great deal for a keyboard only solution.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #4 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM

I don't have any product reviews, but I did come across this site:

http://www.ergogeek.com/htpc-keyboard.html

No, I'm not affiliated with them. I'm looking to order from there at some point in the near future though. I'm about ready to smash my logitech keyboard / mouse set.

The 2.4Ghz models are what I'm looking at. I don't have a need for an actual 'remote' though, so I'm considering the models with the built in mouse / trackball solution.

[edit]
The reason I'm looking at 2.4Ghz is because my logitech desktop combo is IR and the thing can be 6 feet away and flake out on me. The next day it can be 10 ft away and work perfectly. I hate inconsistency.
[/edit]
post #5 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
This prob the best KB/track pad combo that I used (I got 6 and sold 3 to clients and keeping the rest for myself) for a HTPC. I gone thru a lot of "HTPC" Keyboards in the past. Too bad Logi discontinued it and replaced it with a black Bluetooth version that don't seem to work as well. The pad works well and the combo has a good 10ft range. They were cheap when I got them as they were being discontinued. Still find them on e-bay. Regardless that the box says PS3 they where out for the PS2.

Here is the Bluetooth version. It do not come with a bluetooth adapter/dongle since its meant to go with the PS3. The bluetooth dongle sitting on the box is one that I found to work with this keyboard, Syba (http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=34...nufacture=Syba) based on Broadcom BCM2045.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

I have heard a lot of people that liked the MS 7000, but I did not have it to personally test out. However, the goal was to show a few different solutions.

I recently saw a post here on one of the logitech keyboards on sale for ~$20 or so. Looked to be a great deal for a keyboard only solution.

My keyboard was the one on sale for $20 ($50 and a $30 rebate that expired on the 1st). It is now for sale for about $90 on most sites. Then I paired the MX Revolution mouse with it.

post #7 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

For those interested in a spendy but cool alternative, I went with the blutooth mac wireless keyboard for my HTPC. The thing is tiny and easy to hide. I slip it right under my couch. It has a long range, and works on a PC. It will cost you about $80 though.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM

I have a clone of that nmedia keyboard and I really like it.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
post #9 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

This prob the best KB/track pad combo that I used (I got 6 and sold 3 to clients and keeping the rest for myself) for a HTPC. I gone thru a lot of "HTPC" Keyboards in the past. Too bad Logi discontinued it and replaced it with a black Bluetooth version that don't seem to work as well. The pad works well and the combo has a good 10ft range. They were cheap when I got them as they were being discontinued. Still find them on e-bay. Regardless that the box says PS3 they where out for the PS2.

Hey, I found a seller on ebay but they don't have any USB receivers with these keyboards. What kind of receivers do they use? Can you post an image please?
Thanks.
post #10 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Hey, I found a seller on ebay but they don't have any USB receivers with these keyboards. What kind of receivers do they use? Can you post an image please?
Thanks.

The box says Bluetooth. Just find any USB Bluetooth receiver.

post #11 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:

Thanks.

I think the dongle is a proprietary one from Logi since its has its own freg. I use two in the same room with two diff systems and they both connect to its own USB dongle.

I would not get the KB without the USB adapter since the chances of getting the dongle may be nill. But you can all ways try Logi support. The Blue Tooth version works well enuf, just not as cheap as the older version.

post #12 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He's prob talking about the silver one which is not Bluetooth. Also not all blue tooth dongles worked with the Black one. I tested a few and found the Syba was one that work for me. My netbook didn't connect over Bluetooth, and another older bluetooth dongle didn't see it either. But most newer Blue dongle shld work OK.

post #13 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The older RF one, not the Bluetooth.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the dongle is a proprietary one from Logi since its has its own freg. I use two in the same room with two diff systems and they both connect to its own USB dongle.

I would not get the KB without the USB adapter since the chances of getting the dongle may be nill. But you can all ways try Logi support. The Blue Tooth version works well enuf, just not as cheap as the older version.

Thanks man, probably why its only $10 from the seller. You might want to get more since you already have the dongles. Or wouldn't they work with yours?
post #15 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man, probably why its only $10 from the seller. You might want to get more since you already have the dongles. Or wouldn't they work with yours?

Not sure since they seem to sync with each dongle separately. But I now use the blue tooth version for builds. Expensive but at least its available... esp with the KB's price and then the added blue tooth dongle cost.

Tried to see if my supplier could get any more of the old RF vers but they seem to be all gone.

post #16 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure since they seem to sync with each dongle separately. But I now use the blue tooth version for builds. Expensive but at least its available... esp with the KB's price and then the added blue tooth dongle cost.

Tried to see if my supplier could get any more of the old RF vers but they seem to be all gone.

hmm....I'm going to ask the seller. They have posted that all keyboards were tested on a PC (& not on a PS3) and guaranteed to work. I want to know how they tested all of them.
post #17 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 AM

This is my keyboard of choice it was expensive but it has a range of thirty feet and it has performed flawlessly for over a year. Made by Vidabox.
LL
post #18 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaj7574 View Post

This is my keyboard of choice it was expensive but it has a range of thirty feet and it has performed flawlessly for over a year. Made by Vidabox.

I have the same keyboard, I agree, it works flawlessly.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Been using diNovo Mini, love it. Very compact, yet comfortable to use, with a nice backlight.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...055&CatId=1482
Adesso RF with trackball. A bit pricey but is the range is 30 ft and it has the built in mouse which makes it perfect for my needs.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #21 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Any full size back-light solutions out there ?
post #22 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM

DiNovo Mini is the way to go if you want a small, back lit keyboard..
post #23 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullie View Post

DiNovo Mini is the way to go if you want a small, back lit keyboard..

I"m really looking for a full size back-lite wireless keyboard. I do a lot of online chatting and my setup is on front projection so I'm really in the dark

Been looking for a few days can't seem to find a full size solution

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction ?
post #24 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered this one the other night for just $38, so it's another one to consider if you're not looking to spend much money:
IOGEAR GKM561R 2.4GHz Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=AA93005

But, it's not full size, and it isn't backlit...
post #25 of 35 Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Nice looking keyboard and cheap

Man i need back-lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

I just ordered this one the other night for just $38, so it's another one to consider if you're not looking to spend much money:
IOGEAR GKM561R 2.4GHz Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=AA93005

But, it's not full size, and it isn't backlit...

post #26 of 35 Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 AM

I use the Lenovo palm sized RF remote. It has a trackball and is 2.4Ghz so it works 30 feet away and thru cabinets.
It's not back lit, but I picked it up with a 40% off coupon so that made it about $35 to me.
post #27 of 35 Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Great but I'm in the dark with front projection i need back-light ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo5150 View Post

I use the Lenovo palm sized RF remote. It has a trackball and is 2.4Ghz so it works 30 feet away and thru cabinets.
It's not back lit, but I picked it up with a 40% off coupon so that made it about $35 to me.

post #28 of 35 Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo5150 View Post

I have one of those as well, but I'm replacing it with the IOGEAR I linked to above.

the reasons are the phone-like keypad is just WAY too small to use in a dimly lit room, and the lack of a scroll-wheel was pretty much a deal-breaker. I figure I can get by with a keyboard that has large enough keys to sense in the dark, so the IOGEAR will hopefully solve that problem.

I may sell the Lenovo if anyone is interested. The trackball aspect is definitely comfortable to use...
post #29 of 35 Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM

I use my iphone to control my htpc using the airmouse app, and its a far superior interface compared to my wireless kb+trackball.

http://www.mobilemouse.com/

--Sri

-------------------------------------------------------------
My windows 7 media center http://www.hellosri.com
post #30 of 35 Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FWIW, I own both the IOGear and the Adesso and a front-projection system. The adesso is 10x easier to type on in the dark - the iogear's keys have a shorter travel so it is super-easy to fat-finger an adjacent key. The adesso also has separate pgup/pgdn keys which make scrolling in a web-browser much easier.

Unfortunately, my experience with the adesso is that they've got reliability problems I bought two (first one worked great, but got dropped one too many times and the case cracked really bad -- 100% my fault) - the second one has had intermittant hangs and/or keys that get stuck on repeat from day one that require that I either pull the batteries out for a few seconds or pull the USB dongle and plug it back in - and no rhyme or reason as to which action is required each time it gets messed up.

Neither is back-lit though and I share your frustration in not being able to find a backlit keyboard with full-sized keys.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page