Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mike99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does anyone know if upgrading to the "Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio" will give you coax or optical DD5.1 output?
Mike99 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Newbie
 
akirhol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the links regarding the 199 deal, and thank you JJ for all your testing to appease the masses. I just pulled the trigger on this... between the 199/free shipping deal and my discount, got the 1.5Ghz X2 with the rest of the options at base for 205 shipped. Estimated delivery date is before 12/10/2009, just in time for Christmas.
akirhol is offline  
post #363 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
In2Photos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Does anyone know if upgrading to the "Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio" will give you coax or optical DD5.1 output?

It does not. That option is only for software based "surround sound". For coax or optical you need a USB to SPDIF device from somewhere like Newegg.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
In2Photos is offline  
post #364 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
candre23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame168 View Post

Integrated 2.1 High Definition Audio

If you're paying for the X-fi drivers, you're getting ripped off. The 4330 will do 5.1/7.1 over HDMI just fine. All the X-fi drivers give you is "simulated" surround sound over analog stereo.
candre23 is offline  
post #365 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
Hellstorm10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that most here have been tring to keep their optional config costs low, but after I saw the discounts available here today, I couldn't resist.

I know I don't really need it, but I like to max-out the RAM on my systems.
The 8GB memory upgrade with Dell is currently way cheaper than anything available on NewEgg.com.
I was already planing to put the rest of these upgrades into the system I wanted anyway.
And for some reason the basic Optical Mouse was already upgraded to a Laser Mouse at the begining of the $199 discount basic system configuration at no additional cost.

Inspiron Zino HD
Estimated Delivery Date: 12/10/2009

AMD Athlon Neo X2 6850e (1MB L2, 1.8GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 4330 512 MB
8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2 DIMM
Blu-ray Disc (BD/DVD) Combo Drive
Integrated 2.1 High Definition Audio
Dell 1520 802.11 b/g/n wireless card
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Plum Purple

Incentives to Buy
Free Shipping - $39.00
Save $70 off this Inspiron Desktop - $70.00
$60 Dell Promo Gift Card - Arrives in 6-8 wks - $60.00
Free Dell Laser Mouse
No interest on Inspiron purchases of $699 or more if paid in full within 6 months!

Order Subtotal: $703.00
Tax Total: $45.69
Total Amount: $748.69

**Not sure I'll get any cashback/credit for using Bing.
I priced this config a few days ago and it was well into the $900+ price range.
Hellstorm10 is offline  
post #366 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
akirhol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Does anyone know if upgrading to the "Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio" will give you coax or optical DD5.1 output?

It will not, it is software only for simulating surround sound with the 2.1 analog. You're only way of getting 5.1 is through HDMI.
akirhol is offline  
post #367 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fcorona76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

You should get a $60 gift card too. Look further down on the Accessories portion of the build screen.

I saw that at checkout...I edited my big-ass text above
fcorona76 is offline  
post #368 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Member
 
filipp2442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm10 View Post

I know that most here have been tring to keep their optional config costs low, but after I saw the discounts available here today, I couldn't resist.

I know I don't really need it, but I like to max-out the RAM on my systems.
The 8GB memory upgrade with Dell is currently way cheaper than anything available on NewEgg.com.
I was already planing to put the rest of these upgrades into the system I wanted anyway.
And for some reason the basic Optical Mouse was already upgraded to a Laser Mouse at the begining of the $199 discount basic system configuration at no additional cost.

Inspiron Zino HD
Estimated Delivery Date: 12/10/2009

AMD Athlon Neo X2 6850e (1MB L2, 1.8GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 4330 512 MB
8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2 DIMM
Blu-ray Disc (BD/DVD) Combo Drive
Integrated 2.1 High Definition Audio
Dell 1520 802.11 b/g/n wireless card
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Plum Purple

Incentives to Buy
Free Shipping - $39.00
Save $70 off this Inspiron Desktop - $70.00
$60 Dell Promo Gift Card - Arrives in 6-8 wks - $60.00
Free Dell Laser Mouse
No interest on Inspiron purchases of $699 or more if paid in full within 6 months!

Order Subtotal: $703.00
Tax Total: $45.69
Total Amount: $748.69

**Not sure I'll get any cashback/credit for using Bing.
I priced this config a few days ago and it was well into the $900+ price range.

Pretty sure for that amount you can build your own better configuration with upgradable components down the line.
filipp2442 is offline  
post #369 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
The $60 gift card has been removed from the listing. Crap!
captain_video is offline  
post #370 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ewilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mounds View, MN, USA
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

I am in checkout right now and it is not just a $60 gift card right now it is also $70 off immediately plus free shipping. I'm ordering now...

So for ~$325 I'm getting Windows 7, the 6850e, and 2GB ram. This deal is the best one out there right now.

All the systems are $70 off :-). You can actually get that config for $309 following the previously-posted link, but you don't appear to get the gift card any more.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
ewilts is offline  
post #371 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
Hellstorm10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipp2442 View Post

Pretty sure for that amount you can build your own better configuration with upgradable components down the line.

Your right. I did build my own last year.
Still have it and it runs great. MiniITX, C2Duo, BD Drive, 4GB Ram Max...
but the mini ITX cases avaliable were nowhere THIS small and most cases available today are still butt-ass ugly.
Hellstorm10 is offline  
post #372 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
ewilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mounds View, MN, USA
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm10 View Post

And for some reason the basic Optical Mouse was already upgraded to a Laser Mouse at the begining of the $199 discount basic system configuration at no additional cost.

I didn't catch that when I ordered because I was going to add a wireless keyboard/mouse later anyway (probably the Logitech dinovo mini) and just reviewed my order - sure enough, I've got the 6-button laser mouse coming. Thanks!

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
ewilts is offline  
post #373 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
andyd2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy77 View Post

Just placed an order for the Zino HD with the get10extra deal. Saved $109 from what I thought I was going to pay before this deal.

There is also a $60 Dell gift card added to the order that is said to arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. A message said something to the effect of sorry this system is not compatible with Napster so please accept a $60 gift card. I don't know what they are referring to, but I will gladly take the gift card.

Estimated delivery is 12/09.

Now I have to upgrade my internet connection to handle HD streaming.


how are you guys finding coupon codes for the 10% deal?
andyd2k is online now  
post #374 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ewilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mounds View, MN, USA
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

how are you guys finding coupon codes for the 10% deal?

Just go directly to http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...dhs&oc=ddpduy1 for the deal. No coupon codes required.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
ewilts is offline  
post #375 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lee L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Morrisville, NC USA
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I was in the middle of configuring my order and the message came up that the E value code was wrong. I started over and the system is now over $500 to start -$70. Some of the higher priced options are selected, but I can only get it down to $408 because many of the low end stuff like 2gig memory, the 250 gig hard drive and the low end processors are not available at all.

I started over and the low end unit is back to regular price with no discounts and no free shipping. Congrats to those who got it at that price.

THe must be reconfiguring things on the fly, had only a certain number ot sell at the low price or they started the -$70 before they upped the price. Possibly they are running our of low end parts as well.






ewilts, that link gets the E-value code error now.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
Lee L is offline  
post #376 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
ewilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mounds View, MN, USA
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The great deal has already expired. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that $60 gift card that did the deal in.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
ewilts is offline  
post #377 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Member
 
bobo529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any other way to get 5.1 output besides HDMI with this? USB device, etc?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/indetail.aspx
bobo529 is offline  
post #378 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Member
 
filipp2442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am semi tempted to cancel my order since ION2 is around the corner which will drop the ION/Atom 330 prices so it would hit 200-250 and even ION2 might be 250$. My order configuration was 273$ after tax for the upgraded dual core processor and 20$ wifi.
filipp2442 is offline  
post #379 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Java Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipp2442 View Post

I am semi tempted to cancel my order since ION2 is around the corner which will drop the ION/Atom 330 prices so it would hit 200-250 and even ION2 might be 250$. My order configuration was 273$ after tax for the upgraded dual core processor and 20$ wifi.

Considering that the deal is no longer available, I would suggest keeping it. It is doubtful that such a deal will be available again.

Even with Ion 2 coming out, I suspect that the Athlon CPU in the Dell box is a better CPU than the Atom solution.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Java Jack is offline  
post #380 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Member
 
dcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ready to do this, but don't even see free shipping. Don't see any available anything, no shipping, no promos, no coupons.

Are ANY discounts available at this point....am I missing something? Have to go further in the order process? Have to join a special club?
dcard is offline  
post #381 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Member
 
filipp2442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Considering that the deal is no longer available, I would suggest keeping it. It is doubtful that such a deal will be available again.

Even with Ion 2 coming out, I suspect that the Athlon CPU in the Dell box is a better CPU than the Atom solution.

I found this benchmark of the CPU

Atom 230 - PCMARK 05 CPU score: 683
Atom 330 with hyperthreading: 1966
Celeron 220 (D201GLY2): 2164
Celeron 420 - 2768
AMD 3250e - 2919
AMD 3600 X2 - 3881

I ordered the 3250E which does seem better than the Atom 330 but won't Ion2 be better than the ATI 3200? Since ION1 is on par with it I am assuming.
filipp2442 is offline  
post #382 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Member
 
filipp2442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcard View Post

Ready to do this, but don't even see free shipping. Don't see any available anything, no shipping, no promos, no coupons.

Are ANY discounts available at this point....am I missing something? Have to go further in the order process? Have to join a special club?

The deal is dead, before it was 70$ off and a 60$ dell gift card now it's nothing. You came 20minutes late to the party.
filipp2442 is offline  
post #383 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Java Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipp2442 View Post

I found this benchmark of the CPU

Atom 230 - PCMARK 05 CPU score: 683
Atom 330 with hyperthreading: 1966
Celeron 220 (D201GLY2): 2164
Celeron 420 - 2768
AMD 3250e - 2919
AMD 3600 X2 - 3881

I ordered the 3250E which does seem better than the Atom 330 but won't Ion2 be better than the ATI 3200? Since ION1 is on par with it I am assuming.

Until it is released, it is hard to say. It could be better, don't know. However, based upon my testing, the Zino HD with a 3250/780 can handle most things pretty well.

Therefore, is an Ion 2 really needed?

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Java Jack is offline  
post #384 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Member
 
baltik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sooo I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on my first HTPC
in a perfect world I would like it to do the following:
Run a slick front end like mediabrowser with little to no lag
Play 1080p MKVs flawlessly
Play Blu-ray's flawlessly
Since bitstreaming won't be available on these - I would need it to handle internal software decoding to ouptut as LPCM via hdmi

soo do i need the top end build with the stnadalone GPU or can i downgrade the processor one notch? Alternatively should I be looking at the ION/Ion2 platform to achieve my needs?

thnks
baltik is offline  
post #385 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Considering that the deal is no longer available, I would suggest keeping it. It is doubtful that such a deal will be available again.

I purchased three computers from Dell, but all through a former company at which I no longer work. For average consumers, does Dell offer a discount around Christmas?

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #386 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Member
 
jbworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the onboard video support two simultaneous monitors?
jbworks is offline  
post #387 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Java Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I purchased three computers from Dell, but all through a former company at which I no longer work. For average consumers, does Dell offer a discount around Christmas?

Since I don't work for Dell, I don't know what deals they might offer nor am I privy to anything. I have been looking on the EPP site but it is not listed there yet.

Perhaps black friday they will have something, I don't know.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Java Jack is offline  
post #388 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Member
 
SweetSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbworks View Post

Will the onboard video support two simultaneous monitors?

Yes, the 780G/HD3200 has dual-display support for VGA+HDMI.
SweetSpot is offline  
post #389 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Until it is released, it is hard to say. It could be better, don't know. However, based upon my testing, the Zino HD with a 3250/780 can handle most things pretty well.

Therefore, is an Ion 2 really needed?

I think that's right... Though Pinewview is supposed to be much more capable. But in general I agree that having a adequate GPU with a medium fast CPU is better than having a higher end GPU and a slow CPU, at least for HTPC use.

The one issue is if Ion 2 supports full HD audio passthrough and bitstreaming, which I think is unlikely, but could change the equation. The 780G is fine for HD video in my experience, but substandard for HD audio. The current ION does HD LPCM audio, but does not support bitstreaming.
MikeSM is offline  
post #390 of 5041 Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I think that's right... Though Pinewview is supposed to be much more capable. But in general I agree that having a adequate GPU with a medium fast CPU is better than having a higher end GPU and a slow CPU, at least for HTPC use.

The one issue is if Ion 2 supports full HD audio passthrough and bitstreaming, which I think is unlikely, but could change the equation. The 780G is fine for HD video in my experience, but substandard for HD audio. The current ION does HD LPCM audio, but does not support bitstreaming.

I think Clarkdale is going to be first to the market to support bitstream at some point Q1 2010, although no clue where the costs will be on that one.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off