Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone know what the actual model is for the bluray drive installed? The only bluray drive listed on Dell's website has an entirely different model number. Can't find anything on the manufacturer's website either.

Trying to update the firmware to see if it will improve bluray playback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

Anyone know what the actual model is for the bluray drive installed? The only bluray drive listed on Dell's website has an entirely different model number. Can't find anything on the manufacturer's website either.

Trying to update the firmware to see if it will improve bluray playback

It is written on the drive. It should also have the model number listed in the Device Manager.

Go to

Start -> Computer -> System Properties -> Device Manager

Alternatively
Start -> Control Panel -> (View By Icons) -> Device Manager

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 PM

so... SIIG? not to beat a dead horse but I would appreciate some input on the usb sound card.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

It is written on the drive. It should also have the model number listed in the Device Manager.

Go to

Start -> Computer -> System Properties -> Device Manager

Alternatively
Start -> Control Panel -> (View By Icons) -> Device Manager

Yeah I got it through the system information tool. It's not a drive listed on my service page but if I search Google I see that there this is a "newer" version of the firmware listed elsewhere on Dell's website. My drive is ED-12 and the firmware update is ED-14. Don't want to flash my drive without tech giving me the go ahead so if something messes up it's on them. On the phone with them now
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mcdowell View Post

so... SIIG? not to beat a dead horse but I would appreciate some input on the usb sound card.

What is your goal?

Are you looking at the USB sound card so you can connect up to an AVR or because you want 7.1 audio out USB instead of 5.1/7.1 over HDMI (depending on what solutuion you bough with your Zino)?

If it is because you are looking to connect up to an AVR, you might consider an HDMI switcher instead.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

For about the same price as the Siig, you could get a switcher that would allow you to bring in 4 HDMI devices (Xbox, PS3, Zune Player, etc.) into it, strip out the HDMI audio, output the audio over SPDIF to an older AVR so you can use mulitple devices with your AVR instead of just the Zino.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mcdowell View Post

I'm using the VTB Micro. It is "working" but I only get pro-logic. You can look here for some of my exchanges with Dell support on the issue. I suspect that any SPDIF dongle will have this issue but I'm sure we'll find a solution at some point.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:

What is your goal?

Are you looking at the USB sound card so you can connect up to an AVR or because you want 7.1 audio out USB instead of 5.1/7.1 over HDMI (depending on what solutuion you bough with your Zino)?

If it is because you are looking to connect up to an AVR, you might consider an HDMI switcher instead.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

For about the same price as the Siig, you could get a switcher that would allow you to bring in 4 HDMI devices (Xbox, PS3, Zune Player, etc.) into it, strip out the HDMI audio, output the audio over SPDIF to an older AVR so you can use mulitple devices with your AVR instead of just the Zino.

Oh the problem is that my panasonic plasma only outputs 2 channel audio from hdmi sources, and my denon receiver has no hdmi. So I need something to output at least 5.1 (or matrixed 7.1, the receiver wont do uncompressed 7.1 unless it is analog) from ripped dvd or bd sources that connects through toslink to the receiver.

That monoprice device is interesting though, I hadn't seen them drop below $100, thanks for the tip
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 AM
JDz

Is there a quick way to get my bd files to play via pwrdvd that came installed on the Zino....it keeps saying there is no disk loaded. All I have installed is MPC-HC and Haali. I have M2ts and MKV files and none of them work. TIA.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah I got it through the system information tool. It's not a drive listed on my service page but if I search Google I see that there this is a "newer" version of the firmware listed elsewhere on Dell's website. My drive is ED-12 and the firmware update is ED-14. Don't want to flash my drive without tech giving me the go ahead so if something messes up it's on them. On the phone with them now

Flashed to 14 and didn't help one bit. Hoping to get a replacement. Perhaps the BD Drive they actually list on the service page of my pc as opposed to some other random one
Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 AM

I just recevied my Zino today with Vista Basic and the HD3200 video. I also updated the Catalyst drivers to 9.12.

I run the HDMI output to a switch and then to the TV. If I choose a different input on the switch and then return to selecting the Zino I can't get the Zino to display on the TV again without rebooting.

I haven't done a lot of testing yet but I searched this forum and didn't see it discussed.

Is anyone else feeding the HDMI output of their Zino into a switch and getting it to work reliably when switching the Zino in and out? What is your set-up?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post

Ok, so I opened up my unit and checked all screws. Everything seems tight. There's one heatsink on the system board, which is mounted with two plastic head, spring loaded type screws. Anyone know what that is? Southbridge type chip? In any case, they are loose, and I see no way to tighten them.

Second thing I noticed is that the GPU heat pipe is sort of hanging in air next to the GPU fan. I can push down on it to make it touch the board. Is is supposed to be like this?

Finally, I put humpty dumpty back together, booted and lo and behold, coretemp reported idle temp at 33 deg C ! First time I saw that. Fan was fairly silent as well. I was elated, and figured I've fixed something unknowingly.

Well, unfortunately, after about 15 to 20 minutes, I am back to where I started. Coretemp is back in the 50s at idle, spiking to 70s under load.

I must say, though, that the build quality on this thing doesnt inspire confidence. The black plastic case is very flimsy, especially around the lips near the optical drive, for example. The bottom cover only has two screws, the other two just sort of hang in air.

I am debating whether to just return it to Dell, ask for a replacement, or just try a Dell Studio Slim in exchange. How loud do those get?

Isn't that because its warming up for the first 15-20 minutes?

Core Temp and Speedfan both gives different readings even when run together. Right now its fairly idle and I get about 60 on Core Temp but Speedfan shows 40. I think one of them is giving the wrong reading.

If Java Jack has the tools to actually check which one is giving the more "correct" reading a lot of people will sleep better

Unfortunately AMD Overdrive doesn't get any reading for this.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkasper View Post

I just recevied my Zino today with Vista Basic and the HD3200 video. I also updated the Catalyst drivers to 9.12.

I run the HDMI output to a switch and then to the TV. If I choose a different input on the switch and then return to selecting the Zino I can't get the Zino to display on the TV again without rebooting.

I haven't done a lot of testing yet but I searched this forum and didn't see it discussed.

Is anyone else feeding the HDMI output of their Zino into a switch and getting it to work reliably when switching the Zino in and out? What is your set-up?

How did you update to 9.12? Because the control panel doesn't open for me when I update to 9.12
Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

So I'm getting my bluray drive replaced. I don't know what is going on but the bluray drive isn't listed on my support page. Not only that, but the shipped firmware was pretty old and the latest one is from August. This is while all the other drives listed on the support page have firmware updates from Oct - Dec.

I'm thinking this is a supply issue and they are grabbing whatever they can to fulfill orders even though it wasn't the intended drive. I specifically requested the drive listed on the support page to see if that makes a difference with video playback

So it's clear - a few of my movies (eg Harry Potter 6 / Hangover) are stuttering / skipping. Tried...

TotalMedia
PowerDVD (and applied latest update)
Updated BD firmware of the PLDS drive to ED-14

Nothing helped
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post

Is there a quick way to get my bd files to play via pwrdvd that came installed on the Zino....it keeps saying there is no disk loaded. All I have installed is MPC-HC and Haali. I have M2ts and MKV files and none of them work. TIA.

I searched for about a half an hour the other day trying to find a way to get it to playback files before giving up. As far as I can tell, that powerdvd app will only look for physical disks in the DVD drive, you can't use it to open files on your HD.

You should be able to play those files in media center after you add their folder location to the video library.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:

I personally just use AnyDVD and My Movies. 1 button to rip the movie to the HDD in VOB folders. My Movies will auto add it to the library. It only takes about 20 mins or so per movie on my quad core HTPC. Arcsoft TMT can play it back without issue from inside Media Center. I can stream them over the network to the Zino and playback with TMT there, no problem. It all just works.

I don't bother ripping BDs, only DVDs. DVDs only take up about 5GB per movie and look really good on a 50" plasma. BD's would take up too much space. Sure, you can covert/compress them into MKVs, but that is entirely too much work. The entire process is quite simple.

Once I have seen the movie on BD, if I like it, I buy the DVD and rip to the drive. If I really like it and must have the BD quality, then buy the BD.

I don't re-watch all that many movies so it is no big deal to pop in a BD if I really feel the need.

Thanks JJ. So... I just need 3 pieces of software to take my next step then. ( Arcsoft TMT, AnyDVD and My Movies) Is My Movies the free plugin for Media Center and where do I get it. Does Arcsoft TMT 3 do a better job than PowerDVD. I am using the free PowerDVD software that came with my LG Internal Blu-Ray player, which is probably the same free version that will come with my Zino HD that I got with a BD. So AnyDVD will rip a DVD to a disk file... what format is the file and is it just using AnyDVD to do this. I went to the website and was wondering how AnyDVD worked. Do I still need something else to rip the movie file and AnyDVD just removes protection. What exactly do I need to get the movie file.

Thanks again for this information.

Edit: Ahh I see now said the blind man. The My Movies program is what can copy a DVD to a file. I don't have AnyDVD yet, so what format is the file copied to and how big is it typically.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Those with bluray drives - mind posting your model number? I'm curious how many different drives there are and whether you have had problems with yours. I have a PLDS (Pioneer / Liteon) drive but the only bluray drive listed is a Hitachi LG Bluray drive

I'm just trying to see if playback is an issue with certain drives. Apparently some tech will be my place early next week and I requested the Hitachi drive - I'll see for myself whether it makes a difference
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why would you want to use Powerdvd? Just install Media Browser and use that to browse your media and play
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 View Post

Thanks JJ. So... I just need 3 pieces of software to take my next step then. ( Arcsoft TMT, AnyDVD and My Movies) Is My Movies the free plugin for Media Center and where do I get it. Does Arcsoft TMT 3 do a better job than PowerDVD. I am using the free PowerDVD software that came with my LG Internal Blu-Ray player, which is probably the same free version that will come with my Zino HD that I got with a BD. So AnyDVD will rip a DVD to a disk file... what format is the file and is it just using AnyDVD to do this. I went to the website and was wondering how AnyDVD worked. Do I still need something else to rip the movie file and AnyDVD just removes protection. What exactly do I need to get the movie file.

Thanks again for this information.

Edit: Ahh I see now said the blind man. The My Movies program is what can copy a DVD to a file. I don't have AnyDVD yet, so what format is the file copied to.

AnyDVD both rips the movie and removes the protection. When used with My Movies, it runs in the background. When you pop a movie in and run the my movies tool from the desktop, it will pop up the cover art and ask if you want to rip the movie to the hard drive.

I don't know that I would say TMT is somehow beter than Power DVD, but I prefer it over PDVD. Both seem to work fine, I guess it is just more of a preference thing for me.

My Movies is a MCE plug in. I have a link to it in my Plug Ins blog. It is free, but the developer does like donations and it is a pretty good program so I think donating is a good idea.

Regards.
Java

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkasper View Post

It might be the ATI HDMI EDID problem with certain TV/AV HDMI switch. You can try this (either create a shortcut on your desktop, a hotkey for your keyboard, or a macro assigned to one of your remote button).
Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 AM
JDz

Quote:

Why would you want to use Powerdvd? Just install Media Browser and use that to browse your media and play

Just getting set up and testing everything, have not decided what way I will go as far as front end etc. Right now I am just swapping hd with my HD dock plugged straight into the computer. Until I get a more permanent solution (ie: some sort of WHS or something) should I still set up Media Browser etc?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Those with bluray drives - mind posting your model number? I'm curious how many different drives there are and whether you have had problems with yours. I have a PLDS (Pioneer / Liteon) drive but the only bluray drive listed is a Hitachi LG Bluray drive

I'm just trying to see if playback is an issue with certain drives. Apparently some tech will be my place early next week and I requested the Hitachi drive - I'll see for myself whether it makes a difference

Fixes and Enhancements
- Ensure Windows 7 compatibility

http://support.us.dell.com/support/d...&fileid=325181

Had issues playing certain blu-ray titles originally until I upgraded the firmare under windows using Dell firmware file linked above of the PLDS DS-4E1S BD-Combo drive...think the original DS-4E1S shipped OEM firmware was ED12 or something...now WinDVD 2010 plays all my blu-rays just fine!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:

AnyDVD both rips the movie and removes the protection. When used with My Movies, it runs in the background. When you pop a movie in and run the my movies tool from the desktop, it will pop up the cover art and ask if you want to rip the movie to the hard drive.

I don't know that I would say TMT is somehow beter than Power DVD, but I prefer it over PDVD. Both seem to work fine, I guess it is just more of a preference thing for me.

My Movies is a MCE plug in. I have a link to it in my Plug Ins blog. It is free, but the developer does like donations and it is a pretty good program so I think donating is a good idea.

What type of file is the My Movies/AnyDVD rip and the file has removed copy protection, so I could move it to a different computer that does not have AnyDVD running and play it. Will it play using the stock PowerDVD that comes with the Zino. If I purchase TMT, can I put it on multiple computers in my house.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just getting set up and testing everything, have not decided what way I will go as far as front end etc. Right now I am just swapping hd with my HD dock plugged straight into the computer. Until I get a more permanent solution (ie: some sort of WHS or something) should I still set up Media Browser etc?

Yeah, sure. I plan to set up WHS as well but that shouldn't prevent you from using Media Browser. It's just a plugin that browses your media and then load the video in WMC when selected. Has support for external players but shouldn't be necessary
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms View Post

Fixes and Enhancements
- Ensure Windows 7 compatibility

http://support.us.dell.com/support/d...&fileid=325181

Had issues playing certain blu-ray titles originally until I upgraded the firmare under windows using Dell firmware file linked above of the PLDS DS-4E1S BD-Combo drive...think the original DS-4E1S shipped OEM firmware was ED12 or something...now WinDVD 2010 plays all my blu-rays just fine!

Same here. I used that link but hasn't helped me. So you're using Windvd and not Powerdvd? I tried TotalMedia as an alternative but that didn't help
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Between installing WinDVD 2010, updating the firmware of the drive and also tossed the rather weak 75W power adapter that shipped w/system in favor of a 90W adapter from a Dell Inspiron notebook...my blu-ray issues went away.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=310-8275

Debating on whether I should upgrade to 130W adapter for the Zino but at $100 new from Dell, this is kinda steep...

Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

I've been thinking about the heat and the hard drive - did they really use a 3.5 drive? That seems like a bad move for such a small space.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms View Post

Between installing WinDVD 2010, updating the firmware of the drive and also tossed the rather weak 75W power adapter that shipped w/system in favor of a 90W adapter from a Dell Inspiron notebook...my blu-ray issues went away.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=310-8275

Debating on whether I should upgrade to 130W adapter for the Zino but at $100 new from Dell, this is kinda steep...

Why would that matter?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM

My order date was pushed out to 2/24 and as much as it sucks, I am not in a big hurry, so I have convinced myself to wait

But, at this point is it too early to rate the Zino on a scale of 1-10 <10 being best>?

I'd love to hear comments from folks who are have used a DIY HTPC or a pre-built one apart from the Zino. If it's not up to the mark (I understand this is relative to what you want from your HTPC), then I am better of cancelling and buy another pre-built.

My config:
6850e
4 GB
Blu-Ray

No gaming requirements.

Thx!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Why would that matter?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=437800

Bigger is always better!

Think I was stressing my ZinoHD original 75W with all the devices I had connected tuner, external eSATA, ect., ect... 90W seems to be doing the job much better now...

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

No reason to not set up Media Browser as it is independent of WHS. I have all my media saved on my WHS machine and use MediaBrowser on my HTPCs. Here is my writeup on setting up MediaBrowser:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...1-3-0-phoenix/

Keep in mind that MediaBrowser will eventually be going to a paid model, possibly with the next release due out on 20-Dec. There has been no official confirmation of the pricing structure, and honestly if they were planning on going the paid way with the upcoming release they would have given advanced notice.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement