Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjordan View Post

More power data on mine here.

Can anyone with 3250e CPU confirm your cpu speed when idle.

it seems that the 6280 CPU will lower to 1GHz when idle, but my 3250e always stays 1.5GHz in Vista or Win7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomai View Post

Can anyone with 3250e CPU confirm your cpu speed when idle.

it seems that the 6280 CPU will lower to 1GHz when idle, but my 3250e always stays 1.5GHz in Vista or Win7.

My 3250e stays at 1.5GHz all the time as well, even at idle.
post #2583 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Have you checked for upgrades? I got 7.xx with my BD player - I installed it, clicked on the upgrade button, and downloaded a 90MB+ upgrade. After that, I had no problems playing BD.

Yes, I did.

I've also just confirmed that Dell sent me the wrong damn PowerDVD disc.

My install had PowerDVD DX 8.3.5610 installed. They sent me PowerDVD DX 7.0.

Looks like I'll be sending a nastigram to Dell.

post #2584 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Getting them to send that disc was hellish. I spent 1 hr 20 mins trying to find someone that knew what to do

Also, update on my part regarding bluray playback...

1. I reinstalled from the disc image meaning none of the dell stuff
2. Installed some of the drivers on the website but not the audio one

Installed TotalMedia again. Hangover which was skipping all over the place is no longer skipping. I'm guessing there is some sort of conflict with a Dell app? Not sure but I may put off getting the drive replaced considering this new development. Will watch both Harry Potter and Hangover by tomorrow to be sure it play backs properly
post #2585 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

Getting them to send that disc was hellish. I spent 1 hr 20 mins trying to find someone that knew what to do

It gets worse... Not only did they send me the wrong version... They charged me 16 bucks!
post #2586 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post

My 3250e stays at 1.5GHz all the time as well, even at idle.

Java Jack, can you double check with your 3250e config and see if it can throttle the speed when idle? It seems the 3250e won't lower the idle speed like the 6820.
post #2587 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Here's a table from SPCR comparing HDD acoustics and power use for some recently tested 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

2.5" drives draw about 3W less than the 3.5" "green" drives. If I were going to muck around with drive swapping, though...I'd put the 40GB Kingston SSD with the Intel controller (or similar size/priced SSD) in the box and then just get a big 3.5" storage drive connected via the eSata port for media. Less power/heat inside and faster boot/app load times.

Second, don't assume your free cpu core temperature monitoring s/w is accurate. Most of them require a calibration routine before they read temps with any accuracy. That being said, 50-60C idle is just bad in any book.

Finally, I wonder if all of the "noisy" units out there are an indicator of poorly attached cooling systems...the system monitor is trying to compensate for the high temps by running the fan at max rpm.

Where I keep all of my other posts:
Silent PC Review
post #2588 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomai View Post

Java Jack, can you double check with your 3250e config and see if it can throttle the speed when idle? It seems the 3250e won't lower the idle speed like the 6820.

I don't have access to that test box anymore and will not for at least 2-3 weeks.

We are in shut down until Jan. and then the box will likely end up at CES.

So my guess is that I will not see it again until after Jan. 10th. which is also the week I will be in Seattle meeting with MS.

So, not much help here testing for a while on my end. Sorry.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #2589 of 5041 Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM

My 3250 idles at 1.5 GHz also. Cool'n quiet enabled in bios; lower processor speed (not ramped up fan option) chosen in power management.
post #2590 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:10 AM

Not sure if anyone cares about WEI, but I finally took a peek at my Windows Experience index and it scored a 4.5
The 6850 processor appears to be the lowest score - at 4.5
post #2591 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzdalf View Post

Not sure if anyone cares about WEI, but I finally took a peek at my Windows Experience index and it scored a 4.5
The 6850 processor appears to be the lowest score - at 4.5

Great! That's actually not bad.. I have an Acer 3610 in one of my rooms and the proc scored a 3.3 if I'm not mistaken. That's an Atom dualcore 1.6ghz
post #2592 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Hey Java, I know you are interested in this little box like the rest of us, but I just wanted to thank you for all the information and answers you have posted in here.

I am sure you are busy like the rest of us, so it is really appreciated.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

I don't have access to that test box anymore and will not for at least 2-3 weeks.

So my guess is that I will not see it again until after Jan. 10th. which is also the week I will be in Seattle meeting with MS.

So, not much help here testing for a while on my end. Sorry.

post #2593 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

I feel kind of bad you guys can only afford one Zino. If I wasn't so cheap I'd donate mine.
post #2594 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz K View Post

I feel kind of bad you guys can only afford one Zino. If I wasn't so cheap I'd donate mine.

Guess we should have waited for the BF deal and the 20% cash back. LOL

Actually, there are several around, but they are in such hot demand both internally and externally, it is tough to keep one around.

Technically, all the stuff I am doing with this box is outside my official day job.

My regular job involves working with the ODM h/w and s/w partners on developing technology to support our products/platforms. I generally don't work with the OEM side of the biz at all. However, because I also write the blog, I offered to take a look at the box and blog about it.

That is the only reason I got one to begin with.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #2595 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjack11 View Post

Hey Java, I know you are interested in this little box like the rest of us, but I just wanted to thank you for all the information and answers you have posted in here.

I am sure you are busy like the rest of us, so it is really appreciated.

Jack

Thanks. Not a problem. Glad to help out.

Regards.
Java

post #2596 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I called Dell support about my hot CPU issues. They offered to send a new heat sink + fan assembly, or a new system. I picked the second option, although they said it may be a month before I get one.

I guess I will play with other stuff in the meantime.

I now have ATI 9.12 drivers installed, with Flash 10.1 Beta 2. When I start an HD stream from youtube, my 6850e + 4330 system shows 100% railed CPU usage in Coretemp. The video freezes for about 1 minute, and then the video starts. CPU usage drops to 40% or lower.

Is this normal? What performance exactly should I expect from the 6850e as a CPU?
post #2597 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post

I called Dell support about my hot CPU issues. They offered to send a new heat sink + fan assembly, or a new system. I picked the second option, although they said it may be a month before I get one.

I now have ATI 9.12 drivers installed, with Flash 10.1 Beta 2. When I start an HD stream from youtube, my 6850e + 4330 system shows 100% railed CPU usage in Coretemp. The video freezes for about 1 minute, and then the video starts. CPU usage drops to 40% or lower.

Is this normal? What performance exactly should I expect from the 6850e as a CPU?

I have not tried 9.12 or Beta 2. However, that does not sound right. You should not get any video freeze. You might see a very brief hesitation when starting, but that should be about it.

What type of broadband connection do you have?

CPU load would be dependent on the content itself. If you look at the numbers I posted earlier in the thread or in the 2nd blog, you will notice that CPU load varied by content. But you should see the CPU load drop. Therefore, it is hard to say if sub 40% is right because it is content dependent.

Regards.
Java

post #2598 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Anyone think this simple mod of installing a Broadcom HD decoder would work for the Zino? One would have to toss the WiFi card. Apparently it's working in Atom-based Netbooks.

www dot sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?36683

www dot broadcom.com/products/Consumer-Electronics/Netbook-and-Nettop-Solutions/BCM70012

If it does, it would eliminate the need for the higher end dual core processors. Blu Ray and other 1080P media works well on the new netbooks that have this chipset.
post #2599 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 PM

For anyone who hasn't ordered a Zino yet and wants one asap, there are about 25 listed on eBay. A couple 3250e's with the HD3200 and a couple single cores. The 3250e's are going for $298 and eBay has Bing cashback at 10% right now, so $269 after cashback. Just thought I would share
post #2600 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Well that kind of sucks that you can't buy one from Dell (without waiting for weeks and weeks) but you can get one shipped from ebay today... Did someone at ebay steal a shipment of Dells (probably mine) thus causing our shipments to be delayed multiple times???

The world's just not fair sometimes!
post #2601 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post

What were your temps again?

And while I'm on the subject - does it make any sense that temps are lower after reinstalling the OS without the Dell apps etc? Idle temps seem to be better but then again I haven't done a whole lot to stress the system. But even so, before reinstalling the OS and after a movie was played the temps never really dropped.

This is interesting but I'll have to see things change as I use the system tonight

EDIT - I think it's the hard drive that is increasing the temps all around. I think I'm going to order a 2.5 and see if I can install it using brackets
post #2602 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM

so what codecs are ppl installing for h.264?
post #2603 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

What were your temps again?

And while I'm on the subject - does it make any sense that temps are lower after reinstalling the OS without the Dell apps etc? Idle temps seem to be better but then again I haven't done a whole lot to stress the system. But even so, before reinstalling the OS and after a movie was played the temps never really dropped.

This is interesting but I'll have to see things change as I use the system tonight

EDIT - I think it's the hard drive that is increasing the temps all around. I think I'm going to order a 2.5 and see if I can install it using brackets

If you think it's the hdd, I think the best way to check (rather than installing a 2.5" drive) would be to install the OS on an external -- preferably eSATA -- and see what kind of temperatures you get without any hard drive within the system. You may also be able to get away with using a ubuntu liveUSB or install with lm-sensors and sensors-applet installed. Then compare having the internal hdd either powered or unpowered inside.
post #2604 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus_2001 View Post

My order date was pushed out to 2/24 and as much as it sucks, I am not in a big hurry, so I have convinced myself to wait

But, at this point is it too early to rate the Zino on a scale of 1-10 <10 being best>?

I'd love to hear comments from folks who are have used a DIY HTPC or a pre-built one apart from the Zino. If it's not up to the mark (I understand this is relative to what you want from your HTPC), then I am better of cancelling and buy another pre-built.

My config:
6850e
4 GB
Blu-Ray

No gaming requirements.

Thx!

Bump :- I hope its an ok q to ask?
post #2605 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
JDz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post

Couple of questions abou this if you don't mind.....

1. What player are you playing through Mediabrowser...WMP/MPC-HC
2. I have installed MPC-HC and Haali and it plays my rips fine. The only thing I question is if I use something other than MPC-HC what will I need if I use Mediabrowser. I downloaded everything from the post earlier in this thread about getting DXVA to work with ATI cards which was an older version of MPC-HC and Haali and I know the MPC-HC was 32 bit not for sure about Haali. I would imagine it is 32 bit. Do I need the 64 bit version of Haali if they even make one? I have different version of rips made....mkv, m2ts etc. I don't know what would be the best way to go for the Zino. Right now I only have BD rips so I thought about making them all flac since I don't have bitstreaming capabilities. Or, will the new products coming out allow me to change something out in the Zino to allow me to bitstream?

Sorry for all the question but I am very new to all of this. I have been a lurker for a long time but now I have finally jumped in.

Just bumping this if someone has some info/opinions about it.

Thanks.
post #2606 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Also, update on my part regarding bluray playback...

1. I reinstalled from the disc image meaning none of the dell stuff
2. Installed some of the drivers on the website but not the audio one

Installed TotalMedia again. Hangover which was skipping all over the place is no longer skipping. I'm guessing there is some sort of conflict with a Dell app? Not sure but I may put off getting the drive replaced considering this new development. Will watch both Harry Potter and Hangover by tomorrow to be sure it play backs properly

Andy... did you play both Harry Potter and Hangover today. How did they play?
post #2607 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf002 View Post

so what codecs are ppl installing for h.264?

I've gotten extremely consistent results from CoreAVC (which is on sale for 9.95 at the moment). I've tried several codec packs including the Shark pack, which produced pretty good results as well. My personal recommendation is CoreAVC, especially with it's CUDA support for hardware acceleration.

-Sinjen
post #2608 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjen View Post

I've gotten extremely consistent results from CoreAVC (which is on sale for 9.95 at the moment). I've tried several codec packs including the Shark pack, which produced pretty good results as well. My personal recommendation is CoreAVC, especially with it's CUDA support for hardware acceleration.

-Sinjen

Just to be clear for other people, the CUDA support doesn't work with ATI stuff obviously.
post #2609 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 06:29 PM

This may be a noob question, but JJ, how did you enable/disable the hardware acceleration in the Flash 10.1 beta? I installed the beta and still getting choppy flash playback so I'm guessing its not using the hardware acceleration (I have the HD4330). Thanks.
post #2610 of 5041 Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilson37 View Post

Andy... did you play both Harry Potter and Hangover today. How did they play?

I watched Hangover last night and that played perfectly. I just put on Harry Potter now. I had issues with trailers at the start when the movie first played played just now - also ran perfectly. I suspect the movie will play ok as well but we'll see. I won't be able to watch it tonight but I'll report back when I watch it during the week.

Not sure what could have been causing playback issues. Not sure if it was something else I installed if there is something up with what Dell has factory installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page