Possible to stream blu ray rips to xbox 360?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HTPC is fried and I don't have the time/energy to build a new one right now. I simply need a way to stream my bluray rips from my computer in the upstairs office to the tv room in the basement. Would an xbox 360 extender work for this? Or would I be better off with something like a popcorn hour.

The blurays rips are mkv with flac but I only have about 20 so far so I can re rip to some other format if necessary.

I've tried to do some research and found that mp4 may be a better format. I don't need the hd audio formats so if I can just rip the video stream and dd or dts and stream to xbox 360 I'd be happy. However, the few guides I've read indicate you have to recompress the audio to 2 channels??? Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I can tell you that the xbox won't play the flac audio track. The video may be able to be converted into something the xbox play.

If you don't want to make a lot of work for yourself, buy the popcorn hour.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have tried.. the only way is on Windows 7. The container must be AVI, the codec must be H.264 (not VC1) and the audio must be AC3.

Get a popcorn hour OR build a HTPC and be done with it... I am very surprised on how limited the XBOX360 is as a media player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.sanbower View Post

My HTPC is fried and I don't have the time/energy to build a new one right now. I simply need a way to stream my bluray rips from my computer in the upstairs office to the tv room in the basement. Would an xbox 360 extender work for this? Or would I be better off with something like a popcorn hour.

The blurays rips are mkv with flac but I only have about 20 so far so I can re rip to some other format if necessary.

I've tried to do some research and found that mp4 may be a better format. I don't need the hd audio formats so if I can just rip the video stream and dd or dts and stream to xbox 360 I'd be happy. However, the few guides I've read indicate you have to recompress the audio to 2 channels??? Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page