upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 354 Old 03-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Power it's never enought, but:

1) With an Intel E8400 dual core I'm able to obtain the frame doubling for PAL DVDs using MPC-HC with FFDShow (audio and video decoder) + AviSynth ReClock + madVR.

2) For the frame doubling of 1080p 24fps (to 48fps) or 25fps (to 50fps) I use an intel I7 860 with a little overclock (same configuration of above, just a different script in AviSynth - less heavy than the one for DVDs).

3) I got stuttering when doubling the 1080p 30fps using the 2) configuration, but I'm almost sure it's a GPU problem for the shader's use that the script does (the Ati Radeon HD 4850 it's not enough powerful, I suppose I would need at least a 5700 Series or more).

My 50 Cents...

Best Regards. Leo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks a lot, YGPMOLE.

So, for DVD + FFDShow, i3 2100 would be good enough;
And for BluRay double frame rate playback, OC'ed i5 2500k would be a much proper choice;
A discrect Graphic card (such as, ATI HD67xx) should be considered seriously.

I got you, thanks again!
post #333 of 354 Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Hi. I have a q6600 htpc, with a ceton cable tuner, a bluray player, and an amd 6450 video card. its outputing to a yamaha receiver which does upscalling via hdmi, and then to a sharp 60in 1080P TV. I use primarily windows media center and occasionaly xbmc.
I am finding a lot of this upscaling confusing, and would be very greateful if someone could help me. I read in a review that the upscaling chips in receivers do a better job than the gpu. dont know if this correct.
1. on the default setting, does my gpu essentially upscale everything to 1080P and my receiver just passes it through?
2. Is my option limited to having my gpu do the upscaling or do a software upscaling like ffdshow which I guess is more cpu intensive?
3. is there much difference in image quality
4. does any of this even work with windows media center?
5. Is there a way of having my receiver do the upscaling, and is that even desirable.
If there is reading that someone can direct me to,, that would be awesome too.
post #334 of 354 Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM

1) Yes (for what I know about it).
2) I think that with your CPU you can easily do both DVDs upscaling and frame doubling.
3) There should be (it depends from the script you'll use).
4) I Don't know (I don't use M.C.).
5) You should set the GPU output resolution to the same DVDs resolution (then this thread becomes unuseful for you), and the final quality depends on the upscaling chip quality in the receiver.

Best Regards. Leo!
post #335 of 354 Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM

Leo, thanks for your answers. Given I watch dvd, bluray, and bunch of other programs, I am not sure if its worth it to keep changing the resolution of the video card based on what I am watching. but its a good tought. the frame doubling is very interesting. I suppose ti allows for a cleaner transition. I my try using ffdshow with xbmc, and see if the images look better. thanks for your input. cheers.
post #336 of 354 Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the sw kit or a list of what was in it? The links are broken.... and it seems to be the best solution I found.

Thanks!
post #337 of 354 Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Liked: 17
Same here, anyone that could re-upload the software kit? Thanks
post #338 of 354 Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM

What AM2+ socket processor are you recomending as the minimum for the scripts?
post #339 of 354 Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM

So if I have DVD Rips on my computer, how close to real blu-ray 1080p quality will this process bring them?

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #340 of 354 Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Could you please re-upload the files? Unfortunately, links are down. Thanks.
post #341 of 354 Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What exactly does this process do for me? Will it work on DVD tv shows?

Is it as difficult as the instructions make it seem? I am relatively new to all of this stuff.

Thanks,
Ser

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #342 of 354 Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
It works with any files as long as ffdshow video decoder is loaded.

Setting up is pretty straightforward (if you are patient enough).

Another tutorial on ffdshow at HomeCinema-HD, that is much more readable than the first page (8:13's presentation is surprisingly poor smile.gif).
post #343 of 354 Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

It works with any files as long as ffdshow video decoder is loaded.
Setting up is pretty straightforward (if you are patient enough).
Another tutorial on ffdshow at HomeCinema-HD, that is much more readable than the first page (8:13's presentation is surprisingly poor smile.gif).

ty, I will take a look at that a bit later.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #344 of 354 Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

@ 8:13

I'm using MPC-HC with LAV Splitter (video and audio decoder), FFDShow, ReClock and madVR on a Windows 7 64 bit O.S and Intel I7 860 CPU.: Avisynth is used for frame doubling and (added two day ago) Finesharp scripts.

Not problems at all when the DVDs menus have some moving backgrounds (i.e. films scene), but when they just have a static image (and this often happens with the older DVDs), I'm not able to highlight the various entries and when click on one of them the backgroud image remains the same even if I entered in the new menu (so I'm not able to go back to the previous menu or to know what selection I'm going to do in the actual one).

Trying to explain better...

Suppose to be in the main menu of a TV series DVD with 4 episodes. If I wanted to choose one of them, the highlighting doesn't follow the cursor, so I can't make my choice using the remote: I have to use the mouse and follow the cursor, clicking when it changes from the "little arrow" to the "little hand".

If I do that to change the menu (i.e. to go in the audio language and subtitles menu, or in the extras menu), the background image remains the one of the main menu, so from this moment I'm even not able to know where the menu entries are, and how to go back.
I discover that leaving just the Finesharp script everything works perfectly, so the problem is on the frame doubler script.

I figure out that when there is a static menu on the screen, as if the buffer isn't able to drainy and it shows the last image in it's memory, so when I try to highlight a selection the image remains the same.
Changing the values of back/ahead buffer changes the background "frozen" image just of a single frame when I try to highlight a selection, which means that when I move the cursor (or I use the remote) it's like I "forward one step" in a slow motion (I hope I have explained it in an understandable way...) but this happens just once.

No one had the same problem? Suggestion or solution??!?

Best Regards. Leo!
post #345 of 354 Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Hmmm, so no more SW kit.

What can I do now that that is gone? I guess I should have made sure I had that before I started. frown.gif

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #346 of 354 Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM

Don't worry about the software Kit: just download the latest version of each single software you need and it will work: I use MPC-HC 1.6.5, Avisynth 2.60 MT, FFDShow 4499, LAV Splitter 55.1, madVR 0.85.7, and the latest version of the .dlls

Best Regards. Leo!
post #347 of 354 Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post

i would be extremely grateful if someone could take the time to explain how i can achieve the following in simple terms. try as a may i am having exstreme difficulty in understanding this thread especially when referring to 'scripts'. what are they and where do they go etc?

i would very much like to:

1 improve sd dvd for display on a 1080p projector

2 apply some form of noise reduction to avi files

audio just needs to be output in 5.1 for Reclock to work

thats it!

i use TMT for all my hd needs

i have tried to avoid ffdshow etc but have come to the ned of my patience after spending weeks trying to get a decent sd picture with the standalone software available like pdvd etc

i managed to get madvr working but see very little improvement in sharpness

also followed another tutorial here:
http://www.homecinema-hd.com/pack-in...tion-1_en.html

but its result is way over the top when displayed on a huge screen

thanks very much in advance and please be gentle with a newbie

I am also a relative "newbie", and reading over this thread all I can say is Holy Crap! Definitely not for the faint of heart or people looking for simple tweaks to enhance performance. This is extremely intricate and complicated.

I have an i5 3570K with 8 GB RAM using integrated HD4000 graphics on Windows 7 64 bit, so should have the hardware to support this. I rip most of my content (SD and HD) using MakeMKV onto my hard drive into .mkv format. I was looking for a simple way to "upconvert" my .mkv's ripped from DVD to 1080p or 720p, and do the same when playing a DVD Disc, while doing nothing to my .mkv's ripped from Blu Ray.

After reading this thread and almost pulling my hair out doing so, it appears that there is no relatively simple and uncomplicated way to make this happen. If I were to spend all the time installing, uninstalling and tinkering around trying to fine tune it, I'm wondering if at the end of the day I'll notice any real noticeable improvement in Picture Quality? My setup now I used Assassin's HTPC guides to setup WMC/MB and the LAV Splitters.

Whenever you install and uninstall things it invariably leaves traces in your Windows registry and things get jacked. So before even contemplating messing around, personally I'd create a new backup image of my C: drive so if it didn't work out I could refresh this image back to a clean install and bring my system back to how it was before I tinkered with any of these settings.

For the people who have invested the time to understand this process and invested more time to actually make the tweaks, from your perspective was the reward (resulting improvement in picture quality) worth the investment (time) required to achieve this? If only a marginal or minimal improvement but it takes several hours of tinkering around to achieve, I'll probably not bother with it.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide, this newbie appreciates it.
post #348 of 354 Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post

Don't worry about the software Kit: just download the latest version of each single software you need and it will work: I use MPC-HC 1.6.5, Avisynth 2.60 MT, FFDShow 4499, LAV Splitter 55.1, madVR 0.85.7, and the latest version of the .dlls

I've downloaded all the softwares manually and configured as per the installation video. however i am not able to find the dll files that needs to be added to the plugin folder of avisynth software.
Can someone upload just those dll files?
post #349 of 354 Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Noob question - should this guide still be followed if you only plan on using xbmc?

Panasonic tc-p60st60 | Onkyo tx-nr626 | Paradigm CT 110 | HTPC | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 Slim
post #350 of 354 Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

No. XBMC does not support DirectShow filters such as ffdshow, unless you use DSPlayer Frodo build.
post #351 of 354 Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Liked: 15
what do most people prefer now?
Avisynth filters? Custom shaders. MadVR ?
Any suggestions?
post #352 of 354 Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been using MadVR over ffdshow and it's been pretty good do far.
post #353 of 354 Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
post #354 of 354 Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

EVR CP uses Bilinear upscaling by default, that's pretty poor.

EVR vanilla uses the graphics driver's algorithm (Intel's is equivalent to madVR Lanczos+AR).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page