upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 354 Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

Sounds like the output color in ffdshow doesn't agree with either vmr or evr.
Try changing the ffdshow output color to something else and try this with vmr then evr to see what works for you.

Don't use the ffdshow video decoder mpeg2 codec when using theatertek.

Thanks 8:13. I switched from RGB32 to YUY2 and now I get normal color. YUY2 is the correct output I should be using right? Or should I use YV12? I'll also switch off the MPEG2 decoder in ffdshow and just leave it on using RAW and AVISynth.

I also notice that in faster moving scenes (like when someone is running), things aren't as smooth as I'd like them to be. I was wondering if there's something I can do to fix that.

I don't have reclock installed because I was unsure if I should be running that with Windows 7. Should I still use reclock with Windows 7? Could that possibly smooth things out a bit? There's also a drop down select box within the AVISynth section of ffdshow and your medium settings say to have that set to "Ignore Pulldown," but your advanced settings say to have it set on "Smooth timestamps." I'm not exactly sure what smooth timestamps does... but I'm thinking that would possibly smooth out the frames a bit (thereby making faster moving things look more fluid)?

Thank you very much for taking the time to create this guide and an all-in-one download of all the needed files. You're making something pretty complicated easy enough for someone like me to follow and get some good results.

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 354 Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 AM

resize: downscaling from 1080 to 720
------------------------------------

When I upscale videos I use "Spline"

what about downscale videos? What is the best method for it?

I dont find any page showing images with diferent resize methods..
I notice that using "Gauss" instead "Spline" I save CPu.. but Im not sure if Im losing picture quality (I dont notice so much diference).

Anyone know about these modes: 2xsaI super2xsaI hq2x?
My videoplayer crashes when using them..
They provides better quality than spline? or they have a special usage scenario?
post #33 of 354 Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM

Spline resize wins!!!!
(There are many wrong posts in internet saying that lanczos 4 is the best ;/ )

New question: what one is the best sharp mode into ffdshow?
------------------------------------------------------------

Check the 2 images...

First one is your original

Second my one using sharp filter before resize (sharp mode: swscaler)

My problem now is that if I increase the sharpness.. the halos appear everywhere (check border lines). If I decrease the sharpness the little circles at the left become invisible...

so what one is the solution to show the circles without halo in the lines?
post #34 of 354 Old 09-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Travolter,

sharpen before resize to get the dots in the test pattern.
The sharpen used affects the quality: didee's lsf and seesaw if quality, the interna ffdshow sharpeners are not as good so you get the ugly artifacts you see.

thanks again pal, seems that Ill keep current config

if I need lfs or seesaw before resize I cannt do framedoubling if I need downscale 1080->720 before

big thanks for all your useful info and help
post #35 of 354 Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM

thanks for the update pal!!
post #36 of 354 Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM

8:13 -

Will your guide and settings work on a display that supports 1080i but not 1080p? Display is a Sony GWIII 60" LCD.

Thank you.
post #37 of 354 Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Holy crap. Wow. Can someone quickly explain to a novice what is going on here.

I am looking to have my computer run Blu-Ray, DVD, and cable.

ffdshow is a part of this?
post #38 of 354 Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 AM

a (possibly) stupid question, do i have to add reclock to external filters in MLC? i only see the ffdshow filters there.
thanks! this is an extremely helpful / informative thread, i really appreciate all the effort you put into it.

nvm, it's in the tutorial. i must have missed that bit at the first time.
post #39 of 354 Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolter View Post

a= last
b=a.Spresso()
SeeSaw(a,b)
LimitedSharpenFaster(strength=11)
LimitedSharpenFaster(strength=11)

and I see the little circles and fantastic image quality...

But

I need to resize from 1080 to 720 before apply any processing ---- (my cpu is slow!

all the resizers (ffdshow and avisynth internal Spline ones downgrade a lot the image so the little circles at the left dissapear.

Im testing with:

LimitedSharpenFaster(dest_x=1280,dest_y=720,strength=11)
and the resizer conserve these little circles... but it apply sharpness before resize and not after ;/

Its possible modify the LSF script to apply the resize before the sharp?

Or applying the resize before the sharp will kill also these circles?
post #40 of 354 Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM

I use tversity to play content from my pc to an hdtv. Can these effects still be maintained? Furthermore, will the 120hz smooth video effect work for non-dvd content? I have 720p and 1080p content that I'd like to see with the 120hz effect (once again through tversity). Thanks in advance!
post #41 of 354 Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Will this work for playing VOBs ripped to harddisk? Sorry about the stupid question, kind of a newb to all this.
post #42 of 354 Old 10-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
I was wondering the same thing- I need to check the media portal guide again - what I'm interested in is having ALL SD media be upscaled, but bluray etc be untouched.
post #43 of 354 Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM

8:13,

In your first post, you stated that with your ATI card and drivers, you set the pixel format to ycbcr 4:2:2. Is there a particular reason for that choice? I could have sworn that in your previous long thread that has since been deleted, that you had chosen full RGB 4:4:4 at one point.
post #44 of 354 Old 10-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Finally got around to setting this up.

First, this is a fantastic guide 8:13. The picture, IMO, looks beautiful. I'm currently using the intermediate settings.

CPU load seems to average around 85%. I'm currently running an Athlon II X2 2.8 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM. Is that CPU load normal?

I've basically got all my DVDs ripped as VOBs, and I use 7MC to watch them. Here's where the problem arises. I start up Media Center, and start watching a movie. Everything is fine. But when I stop it, and switch to another one, the movie will slow to a craw eventually. Then I go back and switch to another, it will take MC a long time to open it. I have to shut the Media Center and start it back again. Its as if, if you switch movies in 7MC the previous movie doesn't get shut down or something. Didn't see this issue using basic settings.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
post #45 of 354 Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A few questions,

I'm about to install Avisynth and the plugins you have linked is there any problem running these on Win7 x64?

*Also do I install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) or (x86) if I'm running Win7 x64?
*I installed the (x86) seems okay.

**One more... what does the ffdshow.ax do and any problems with x64?
** I installed the ffdshow.ax so know know.

I'm using your "Mid range ffdshow" seetings.

Thanks.
post #46 of 354 Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Also I can't find msvcp71 and msvcr71.dll after downloading the plugins and intalling Avisynth.
post #47 of 354 Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 AM

I need a deband for Mid range ffdshow settings.

The default deband plugin of ffdshow requires too much cpu...

There is a deband setting into LFS or seesaw?

Any lowCPU avisynth deband plugin to test?
post #48 of 354 Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

First, thanks 8:13 for creating such an extensive tutorial. I would be clueless without it.

I'm running into a few issues that I'm sure can be fixed with the help of the experts on this forum.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.
e7500 dual core processor..
4gb of ram.
Radeon 4850 with 9.10 Catalyst drivers.
32inch Samsung LCD HDTV 720p.

I installed all of the software and used the midrange settings with ffdshow, exactly as 8:13 said to do. I mount my DVD isos with daemon tools and use MPC to watch them.

Just like Artslinger, I'm getting confused with the 32bit and 64bit software. I chose to stick with installing all 32bit. But I'm still kinda confused when it comes to the system32 and SysWOW64 folders.

First issue; if I have Avisynth checked on ffdshow the dvd iso is unwatchable. I can hear the sound but the movie seems like it pauses and unpauses every couple of seconds, all while the sound is fine. If I uncheck Avisynth the movie plays almost perfectly. I tried changing the buffer setting but no luck. Any ideas?

Next issue, while avisynth is unchecked of course. Again, I used the midrange setting on ffshow. The dvd looks great and very clear except for some jittery movement every couple of minutes. Jittery movement happens sporadically and not on a constant basis and it only last for a second or 2. I don't how else to explain it, I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at. Do you have any ideas or settings I could try changing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
post #49 of 354 Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM

I just followed the instructions, and now I get a prompt when I try to play a movie (in Media Player Classic), "Script error: there is no function named 'setmtmode' (ffdshow_filter_avisynth_script, line 1)"

Also, when I try to play a movie in Zoom Player, I get the following message, "Unable to play []
This may be due to a corrupt file, missing filters, filter conflicts, or hardware related issues."

I'm trying to play an .mkv file. Note: I unchecked the force resolution because I am using a 720p television and I want the program to rely on nvidia's screen resize.

Thanks!
post #50 of 354 Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 AM

Thank's for the reply. I will check on those fix's later tonight when I get home.
post #51 of 354 Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM

i had the same problem and my fix was to open zoom player and select options/setup. once there select system then missing formats. at the bottom of the main window there u will see click here to run the install center and missing components. check all and have zoom player install all components.

after installation of all missing components u should be able to play all formats.
post #52 of 354 Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 AM

Liked: 14
I'm in the process of setting up my first HTPC and I'm new to all of this. I downloaded the software package and watched the YouTube video. I noticed that their are three types of settings (basic, intermediate, and advanced). I have a couple of questions.

1. Which of these settings is demonstrated in the YouTube video?
2. Is there a significant quality difference between the three settings?

The HTPC I'm building is based on the AMD 785G platform with an Athlon X2 processor at 2.9 GHz.

Thanks
post #53 of 354 Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can try setting the fps in reclock configuration to 30 instead of 24.

Has anyone tried this or another way to use frame doubling on a 60hz display? I would like to be able to improve motion from my DVD's, if that is possible. Although, I don't know what frame doubling would even look like from DVD material on a 60hz display, if it would look unnatural or what.
post #54 of 354 Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Has anyone tried this or another way to use frame doubling on a 60hz display? I would like to be able to improve motion from my DVD's, if that is possible. Although, I don't know what frame doubling would even look like from DVD material on a 60hz display, if it would look unnatural or what.

Im using it daily.. and works amazing. The movemoent is totally smooth. Some people hates the effect.. but others love it (like me

read the ________ advanced ffdshow: framerate doubler ________ at the first page to set it up.
post #55 of 354 Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Im using it daily.. and works amazing. The movemoent is totally smooth. ...framerate doubler...

What about 720p or 1080p?
I mean FPS: 23,976 Content display on projector 60Hz(native framerate) for example?
You use framerate doubler too?

I wonder which is better?

mkv 's 720p, FPS: 23.976 on the projector 720p 60Hz(native framerate)
or
mkv 's 1080p, FPS: 23.976 on the projector 720p 60Hz(native framerate) and resize from 1080p to 720p?
post #56 of 354 Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im using it daily.. and works amazing. The movemoent is totally smooth. Some people hates the effect.. but others love it (like me

read the ________ advanced ffdshow: framerate doubler ________ at the first page to set it up.

hmm, i installed and set it all up. The smoothness is def there, but I seem to get some bad artifacting on scenes with alot of motion.

Any suggestions?
post #57 of 354 Old 11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I need to watch more material with this, but it looks like my artifacts with this frame doubler method are probably from processing 24fps into 30fps. It like when there is a lot of motion or when people walk in one direction and say a car goes by in the opposite direction, outlines have a halo. I only see it for a second and then they are gone, or if there a lot of motion they will flicker on and off until the motion calms down. The faster the motion the more "halo'ing".

It's weird because I have a DVDO Edge video processor that can to 50hz to 60hz conversion. This conversion was artifact free and looks perfect.
post #58 of 354 Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to do this into a mkv file instead of just on-the-go playback? I'm trying to clean up my collection onto hard drives so i can toss the discs in their cases in storage.
post #59 of 354 Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I need to watch more material with this, but it looks like my artifacts with this frame doubler method are probably from processing 24fps into 30fps. It like when there is a lot of motion or when people walk in one direction and say a car goes by in the opposite direction, outlines have a halo. I only see it for a second and then they are gone, or if there a lot of motion they will flicker on and off until the motion calms down. The faster the motion the more "halo'ing".

It's weird because I have a DVDO Edge video processor that can to 50hz to 60hz conversion. This conversion was artifact free and looks perfect.

And... this completely stopped working for me and I have no idea why... It worked perfectly and the movie would play steadily the first time I tried it. The next day, it would not work AT ALL. I get a new frame every 3 seconds and my CPU usage is usually in the 80% range. I have no idea what CPU usage was the first time as it was working perfectly and no need to check.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall/setup everything atleast 3 times and I get the same results.

Majorly ->
post #60 of 354 Old 11-25-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

8:13,

What exactly is going on in this process of "frame doubling"? While it does have a smoother look to it, on slower motion, on fast motion and tearing tests motion really is a mess. Almost like a speed up for a few frames and slow down the last frame or something. Perhaps it still isn't working right for me. I do still drop a few frames every few minutes. I would hate to think my E6600 can't even handle this with Resize OFF. That just doesn't seem right...

The status of MPC shows a framerate of around 47.XX, is that what it should be??
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page