upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 354 Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

47 fps is about right.

Interpolation increases the frames and adds new information to do so.
If I had a test that I could calibrate the way the video looks in fast motion I would use it, but I don't and I don't want to make one anymore. I'm happy with the way it is.

Ok, so it is interpolating. Overall, I like the effect, much better than standard 60hz material.

Again, after a reboot, it isn't working... I really don't get it. With a small screen (not fullscreen mode, in MPC) task manager says it's running like 30%, but it is still stuttering away. Again, this is with resize OFF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 354 Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I'm not sure what version of PCIe my MOBO is. It is a P5B and my GPU is an nVidia GTX260 896MB.

I will reinstall, again, with the new link. Hopefully it will hold a reboot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 354 Old 11-26-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha, I think I figured out my issue. I had inverse telecine checked off on my GPU control panel. All seems good after unchecking it. Well, I could still apparently use a little more power, but it is so much more stable. Or it could be the new links you posted yesterday, too...

post #64 of 354 Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

The frame doubler uses the frame buffer, or the videocard ram to hold the frame before showing it on the monitor.
And the way the videocard ram acts is different if you have pcie 1.0 or pcie 2.0
In pcie 1.0 you only have the ram on the videocard to use, but in pcie 2 you aren't as limited by only having the ram on the videocard.

What this means is since the frame doubler has you outputting large resolution video frames at a large fps you need a pcie 2 motherboard and a pcie 2 video card that has a lot or ram, to get the best experience since this will not have the frame buffer being a bottleneck.

If you have only a pcie 1 motherboard then your stuck and need a videocard with a lot of ram to not get a bottleneck from too little frame buffer.

thanks for this info 8:13 this is very interesting info,

that means that the problem of 1080 and framedoubling could be fixed with a videocard with lot of memory? or just we need better CPU´s for decoding?
post #65 of 354 Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Any tips on replacing those 64-bit files in SysWOW64 that don't involve some floppy disk and dos-esque batch file?
post #66 of 354 Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry for the newb question, but I have a Audigy 2 ZS, do I need to install the spdifer ?
post #67 of 354 Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM

I have no problem playing 720p, mkv's with doubling frames but as soon as I play 1080p mkv's It starts loosing sync and gets choppy, anybody know where I would be bottle necking? My processor only shows 40% usage. Its and overclocked e8400 and 4 gigs of ram on vista 32 and ati 3850. Been trying to figure this out but nothing seems to me
maxed out.
post #68 of 354 Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnifehr View Post

I have no problem playing 720p, mkv's with doubling frames but as soon as I play 1080p mkv's It starts loosing sync and gets choppy, anybody know where I would be bottle necking? My processor only shows 40% usage. Its and overclocked e8400 and 4 gigs of ram on vista 32 and ati 3850. Been trying to figure this out but nothing seems to me
maxed out.

Look at the usage of each core. 40% total CPU usage can easily mean 80% on one core and 0% on the other core. So, during some scenes, your CPU usage of that one core can reach 100% and cause studder.
post #69 of 354 Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM

its forty percent per core, no where near being maxed out, when i shut off avisynth then
its fine, but i would like to double the frames on the my ten eightyp mkv's too.
post #70 of 354 Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnifehr View Post

its forty percent per core, no where near being maxed out, when i shut off avisynth then
its fine, but i would like to double the frames on the my ten eightyp mkv's too.

Hi.. and welcome to our eternal problem with framedoubling and 1080.

Probably our CPUs are not enough for 1080.. one solution is resize first to 720.. and them apply the framedoubling...

The modern Flat TVs have framedoubling .. Im thinking that buy one of these TV as computer monitor would be a solution.. and leave the computer cpu for other threads.. (can you connect a computer to a TV and use 1920x1080 desktop in windows?)

Anyway I dont understand yet.. with NVIDIA or ATi dont implement this technology into his cards... maybe with CUDA?

Its really a waste having powerful videocards that only know about moving 3D games ;(

If anyone find a solution to 1080 or make framedoubling with videocards or other devices... let us know
post #71 of 354 Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Avisynth Script for doubling video frame rates , go to this post, try last settings posted and they work for almost all my 1080p mkv's and are artifact free nearly, May have to upgrade to quad core so I can play uncompressed high bit 1080p mkvs. Best script so
far.
post #72 of 354 Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Hey there. I appreciate your efforts in this guide. Great help!
I've been trying to figure out if there is any way at all to get this to work in windows 7 media center.. Or are you aware of any software that has a nice front end to use a remote control to just scroll through the list with covers, that can also utilize the ffdshow tweaks? Thanks in advance!
post #73 of 354 Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm still using vista media center using a harmony remote and use media browser/info plug-in which grabs all the info for that movie and just scroll through covers, tells you the length, aspect ratio, sound type, info, actors and more. And all my movies use all my ffdshow tweaks, Should work in windows seven. Give it a try.
post #74 of 354 Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 AM

right.. maybe i missed something, but I thougth media center couldn't use ffdshow. I'll probably kick myself, but if you could point me to info that shows how to use it, i'd appreciate it.
post #75 of 354 Old 12-11-2009, 05:06 PM

On the codecs page on ffdshow just select which ones you want the player to use, but now if I think about it when I attempted to try to use windows 7 and ffdshow I had to do a registry hack so it wouldn't use the built in ones but ffdshow rather and it did work . Just google the registry hack, wasn't hard to find. But went back to Vista since it works flawlessly for me every time.
post #76 of 354 Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

How would I setup Reclock to output 48hz or convert 48hz to 50hz? I don't really like the effect I am getting with this setup and I want to try another way of converting 48hz to 60hz. It's almost like the frame is first doubled and then speed up and it has this weird effect like it is all of a sudden sped up and then slowed down and then a couple more frames will go by and I get the speed up and slow down again. It is quite distracting. I have a DVDO Edge video processor, and I have used it to convert 50hz PAL to 60hz with no visible artifacts or speedup/slowdowns effects, to me. I would like to try this method and just send 48hz to my video processor and have it convert that signal to 60hz.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this issue is from lacking CPU power. I have a 2.4Ghz dual core and I only output at 1216x684. All I use is this Avisynth script and resize. I would think my PC could handle that, and MPC doesn't show frames being dropped.

Do I just change the setting in Reclock from 29.97 to 23.XXX, and then use this Avisynth script to get 48hz final output? And use 25 (reclock) to get 50hz output (incase my video processor won't accept 48hz).

post #77 of 354 Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Is there instructions anywhere that will break down what each step is doing? I can follow the directions with no problems, but if I wanted to make a change to customize to my liking, I feel like I might screw everything up because its so customized already.

Note: I would like to customize it for a 720p television and be able to use any media player, not be restricted to one.
post #78 of 354 Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

How would I setup Reclock to output 48hz or convert 48hz to 50hz? I don't really like the effect I am getting with this setup and I want to try another way of converting 48hz to 60hz. It's almost like the frame is first doubled and then speed up and it has this weird effect like it is all of a sudden sped up and then slowed down and then a couple more frames will go by and I get the speed up and slow down again. It is quite distracting. I have a DVDO Edge video processor, and I have used it to convert 50hz PAL to 60hz with no visible artifacts or speedup/slowdowns effects, to me. I would like to try this method and just send 48hz to my video processor and have it convert that signal to 60hz.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this issue is from lacking CPU power. I have a 2.4Ghz dual core and I only output at 1216x684. All I use is this Avisynth script and resize. I would think my PC could handle that, and MPC doesn't show frames being dropped.

Do I just change the setting in Reclock from 29.97 to 23.XXX, and then use this Avisynth script to get 48hz final output? And use 25 (reclock) to get 50hz output (incase my video processor won't accept 48hz).

Apparently my video processor won't process a 720p48 signal, so I need to try a 50hz signal. I might give it a shot tonight, if I have time. I'm just going to set reclock to 25hz and possibly disable Vsync and see if I can get 720p48 from this script and speed it up to 50hz. Then have my processor convert that to 60hz, since it handles 50hz to 60hz very well.

I'd love to hear any suggestions if anyone has any.

post #79 of 354 Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Guys help. I have applied the settings in FFDshow and Im using WinDVD to play the files, and I'm now getting an "Invalid Script" message. What does this mean and how do I get rid of it?
post #80 of 354 Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

can someone please explain me why the mid-range configuration, to be more precisly - avisynth - crashes my zoomplayer?

i think it might have something to do with the "mt_masktools.dll" because zoom player crash report says something about this file plus playback doesn't crash with avisynth unchecked.

i have an intel i7 860, 4GB DDR3 using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Hope someone can help me, i have already tried the crash tipps by 8:13

thanks!
post #81 of 354 Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 AM

Did you add the necessary files to the sysWOW64 folder? That step is required for win7 64bit.
post #82 of 354 Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM

as i use the ultimate version the files were already there, but thanks for the hint.

i've been trying around and sometimes i get the configuration to work - with one Problem: big lip-sync problems, the audio is too late.

since my intel i7 860 should be - and is -powerful enough (with only 10-15% CPU usage) and the problem only occurs with the midrange configuration - it has something to do with the script. I tired the framerate doubler and it works fine, but i don't like the effect.

It's really strange...
post #83 of 354 Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM

If you are talking about the LSF config, then yea, I get that too. Any of the frame doubling configs work fine but the Limited Sharpen Faster is a no go. Core i5 at 3.6Ghz 35-40%CPU usage and lipsync is totally jacked. I don't really understand the point anyway. Too me, the unsharp mask setting in ffdshow does a better job.

I have a question about the rgb32 conversion. This is the first time I have ever setup ffdshow to do that. Before I have left it at default, or I used the dscaler mpeg decoder set to YV12. It does seem to add some CPU usage. On my old dual core AMD machine I could not use RGB32 conversion unless I removed re-size.

There seem to be two conflicting thoughts about it. Some say you should never do that. Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear it looks slightly better to me with the HighQualityRGB conversion turned on. Maybe LSF would work without it. I haven't tried.
post #84 of 354 Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Help!

I've tried for hours but I simply cannot get my video's resolution to resize.

I followed the guide exactly, tried different versions, 64 bit, 32 bit, everything.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. The settings simply don't work!
post #85 of 354 Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 AM

What program are you using for playback? Did you follow the video step by step? Is the player using ffdshow for playback or is that the problem?
post #86 of 354 Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 AM

I tried MPC, 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

I even installed the ffdshow addon by shark007 for WMP and configured that but still nothing.

Zoom player gave me an error I believe.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I had to use the Windows7DSFilterTweaker to change the default decoders. That actually got FFDshow to work after so many hours but still no resize. Also, AVIsynth crashes MPC with an invalid script error but forget about that for now....
post #87 of 354 Old 12-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSurbo15 View Post

Also, AVIsynth crashes MPC with an invalid script error but forget about that for now....

Same here for me. What's up with that?
post #88 of 354 Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Can i get some help?

I have used an old configuration. Seesaw 2,5.

I have downloaded the newest software and plugins. I use ZP.

After i installled the ffdshow.ax file, ZP will not work. Before i installed the .ax file i got an error message i avisynth...

I deleted all the files in avisynth folder and replaced them with the new ones.

Help please?
post #89 of 354 Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM

" script error. there is no function named set mt mode" (ffdshow filter avisynth script line 2"
post #90 of 354 Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM

@FSurbo 15
The best you can do is:
1. to undo all the tweaks you did with Windows7DSFilterTweaker,
2. uninstall/delete all the codecs and software with some program as Revo (freeware),
3. clean the registry with CCleaner (freeware) and reboot,
4. start reading tutorial from the very beginning (text and pictures) and watch youtube movie

@isamu
Read the crushing errors on the 1st page at the 2nd post.

Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page