upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 354 Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Intel i3, what settings are the best one to use with this CPU also when I want it to deinterlace correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 354 Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
8:13,

I have a pretty basic pc, P4 3.2ghz w/2gb ram and asus 512mb video card. It would be plugged to a 720p projector via vga.

Would doing any of these settings be worth my time or is there an abridged setting to make the most of what I have. Not really looking to upgrade at this moment

Thanks

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #183 of 354 Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello and thanks for the updated guide. I have a question regarding this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

________ advanced ffdshow: framerate doubler ________

Codecs tab
Set Mpeg2 to Libmpeg2, and check "DVD decoding".
Set Avisynth to Avisynth, Raw video to All supported

Decoder options tab
Uncheck "Detect soft telecine and average frame durations"

Subtitles tab, Unchecked
Uncheck "Decode closed captions"
Uncheck "Accept embedded subs"
Uncheck "Accept SSA, ASS, ASS2 Subtitle (experimental)
Vobsub subpage, uncheck Vobsub Enable.

Avisynth tab checked
YV12 checked,
Add FFdshow Video source Unchecked,
3:2 Pulldown box: Smooth timestamps checked,
check Buffer back/Ahead: 3, 3

setmtmode(2)
Last=ffdshow_source()
setmemorymax(550)
LimitedSharpenFaster_JD(strength=11)
LimitedSharpenFaster_JD(strength=11)
super=MSuper(pel=2, hpad=16, vpad=16)
backward_1=MAnalyse(super, chroma=false, isb=true, blksize=32, blksizev=32, search=5, searchparam=1, badrange=(-24))
forward_1=MAnalyse(super, chroma=false, isb=false, blksize=32, blksizev=32, search=5, searchparam=2, badrange=(-24))
backward_2 = MRecalculate(super, chroma=false, backward_1, blksize=32, blksizev=32, thSAD=100, search=5, searchparam=1)
forward_2 = MRecalculate(super, chroma=false, forward_1, blksize=32, blksizev=32, thSAD=100, search=5, searchparam=2)
MBlockFps(super, backward_2, forward_2, num=FramerateNumerator(last)*2, den=FramerateDenominator(last)*1, mode=1)
SetMTMode(1)
GetMTMode(false) > 0 ? distributor() : last

Resize & aspect tab checked
Process whole image checked
Specify horizontal and vertical Resize: 1920, 1080 (or your monitors resolution)
Process Pixel aspect ratio internally checked
No aspect ratio correction checked
spline
Luma Sharpen: 0.00
Luma Guassian Blur 0.50 (On small monitors like laptops it's best not to use this. Set it to 0.00)
Accurate rounding checked

Queue & Output tab
Queue output samples unchecked
Very unstable. May cause player to crash.
No box is checked.

Output tab
rgb32 checked
high quality yv12 to rgb conversion checked

rgb conversion tab
ycbcr: itu-bt 601
high quality yv12 to rgb conversion checked
Dithering checked
input: standard
Output levels: Tv/Projector
Reclock: Be sure to use reclock vsync
ATI pixel format set to full rgb: 4:4:4

...what specifically do I have to disable or uncheck, to eliminate the framerate doubling effect? After watching a few films with it, I've decided that it's not for me. Too much of a soap opera look and looks to fake. How do I bring it back to 24fps?
post #184 of 354 Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Guys, how do I get rid of the color banding issue? I am using an ATI 5870 and the color settings are set to RGB 4:4:4.
post #185 of 354 Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Hello! First of all, thank you all for your time and support this fantastic thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noods View Post

I had a bit of a play with your last script 8:13, even though I don't really know what I'm doing, heh. Using MadVR it works great.

I tried to use the frame doubler with VRM9 and EVR in Win7 and it works (as shown in ReClock properties when the movie is playing), but I was not able to use MadVR: seems that I can use FFDshow frame doubling, or MadVR, but not both together in MPC-HC.
How did you do, noods??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noods View Post

I was wondering why scripts like the following haven't been posted?
Just doing a test on my machine right now with this - everything looks AMAZING !! almost 3D.

I also tried your script and looks amazing, but I found this issues:

1) Setting setmemorymax(3000) gives me a "runtime error" (this happens with the previous frame doubler script too) and MPC-HC crashes, but it works with 550.

2) Only in some quick rounding pannings (approx min. 51 of Star Wars ep. III, when the starship goes in a hole) I got some distorsion at the top and bottom of the image (it's not tearing) but all the rest it's rock solid and smooth!!!

Specs - i7 8.60 2.8 GHz
4gig ddr3 @ 1333mhz
ati radeon 4850 1gb

Best Regards. Leo!

Best Regards. Leo!
post #186 of 354 Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

I also want to extend my thanks to everyone posting in this thread

I think that I'm about ready to try to set all of this up this weekend..
I don't mean to repeat all kinds of information again (I've read the whole thread before posting)
But I want to make sure what I want to do will happen with this setup..

My plan is to: Rip my dvd's to my (external) hard drives; and watch them from there. I suppose I have two options to rip them, to use MakeMKV to basically just grab the movie, or I can do a 1:1 rip with various programs into a .iso.
(To keep all of the menu's, special features, etc)

So in order to use the classic player as described here, in the case of the .iso's I'll have to run them off of a virtual drive? (Alcohol 52% for example)
I assume that would work?
Currently I can watch them with VLC, but I want to stick with what I'm supposed to in this case.
--(to actually get them upscaled in the first place!)

So after I install everything as stated in the guide, all I really need to do is select the classic player to 'play' the dvd from the (virtual) hard drive?
--Once I get the upscaling working decently I can start to mess with the settings more..

I plan to watch these on my tv with DVI-HDMI, and run the 3.5mm audio jack straight to my receiver.
Are there better ways to do this? -- Without buying a whole new rig.. I don't want to do that quite yet..
I also don't want to have to watch everything off of my monitor..

Or am I way off base here? I basically found this thread, and I'm assuming all of what I said to be true..
Is there some "starter thread" I should try to find?

I think that what I described is pretty close to being correct.. But if I'm wrong, I'd rather not put the effort into setting this up if it won't do anything

I will basically just be watching SD content with this setup (tv shows from Hulu or wherever, dvd's etc)
--Stuff that I actually have on my hard drive, not streaming content.
I'll worry about HD content at some later date. Upscaling SD is more important right now.
post #187 of 354 Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 PM

So I've been trying to set everything up.. and now I keep getting this error:

Script error: there is no function named 'Spresso_JD' (ffdshow_filter_avisynth_script, line 6)

I've looked all over this thread, and elsewhere for any ideas, but I'm not finding anything?

I've tried renaming the function in the script, and the .avsi file in the plugin folder, but I'm not getting anywhere with it..

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I'm also using a few of the optional things, like ReClock and Haali.
(Don't really know if I need them at all... Ugh)
Maybe I should stick to the bare bones.. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I uninstall everything and restart.. I'll probably try the basic settings..
The ReClock icon is red/yellow, if that means anything?

EDIT2:
8:13,
I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it too.
If you remember, let me know
post #188 of 354 Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:

The plugin error is because the removegrain is needed and not in the plugins folder, the spresso plugin isn't in the plugins folder, or there is no () beside spresso in the ffdshow avisynth.

The reclock error is because the ripped dvd's use either 25fps or 23.976fps and the monitor Must have a multiple of this fps and it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply, that will definitely help!
I pretty much know what it is right now without even looking.. removegrain isn't in there. I know it was in the kit, but I didn't put it in the plugins folder..
We'll see what happens tomorrow when I fix it

I've just been using the tv in my basement.. LCD
I'll try it on my plasma tomorrow.
In this case, I want either 25 or 23.976 to be divided evenly (or very close to it) into my tv's refresh rate?
If that's the case, it should be alright when I switch tv's. But I'll check that out tomorrow.
I'll be mainly using this on my plasma anyways, so if it works over there, that's fine.

Thanks again for bearing with me
post #189 of 354 Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Hmm.. Still not getting anywhere.
This is the way things are now..
Maybe the mixing and matching of code that I did (one of the tweaks + what I already had) didn't help any.. But it didn't work earlier, so I figured I wasn't doing much harm.

I threw all of the .dll's from the removegrain folder that I never had in there, inside..

^ Same thing no matter what file type I use in there.

Sorry in advance if the pics are too big. I'll try to fix them if they are.

Any glaring problems that anyone can see?

I would restart my comp and see if anything works now, but I'm in the middle of reformatting my new hard drives

EDIT: It *should* be ntsc, and the refresh rate comes out to be 24.023 I believe.. so that should be fine?
(600 Hz? That whole "600 Hz sub-field" babble.. Not sure what the actual refresh rate is.. I'll prob have to look it up. The Panny 42 S2)
post #190 of 354 Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 AM

For what I understood, this are the explainations to some problems I had (hoping that someone could confirm it and that I'm not saying nonsense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post

I was not able to use MadVR: seems that I can use FFDshow frame doubling, or MadVR, but not both together in MPC-HC

That's because MadVR doesn't support (yet) sharpening by AviSynth scripts: even if YV12 color space it's being used and MadVR it's checked, MPC-HC uses VRM7.

So, the question remains: how did you do, noods??!? (I'm quite sure you didn't see in ReClock properties that MadVR wasn't used, but VMR7 instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post

1) Setting setmemorymax(3000) gives me a "runtime error" (this happens with the previous frame doubler script too) and MPC-HC crashes, but it works with 550.

The maximum value I can use it's 1100: this should be due to the fact that the total available memory in W7 32 Bit it's 3.2GB, and at the frame doubler processing, that in my HTPC uses 2 GB, so the remaining memory amount for setmemorymax it's 1GB.

Specs - I7 8.60 2.8 GHz
4GB ddr3 @ 1333mhz
ati radeon 4850 1gb
Seven Ultimate 32 Bit

Processing the frame doubler with 1080p, the CPU usage reaches almost 100% and sometimes I got stuttering: I need a little bit of overclock or some different filters from FFDShow to reduce the CPU usage about 5-10% and to get perfect reproduction.

Best Regards. Leo!

Best Regards. Leo!
post #191 of 354 Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Hi,
I've just a question:
Is there the possibility to implement "DIGITAL NATURAL MOTION" as everyone can watch on COREL WINDVD 2010, during DVD vision, with ffdshows-tryouts?

Thanks
bye
post #192 of 354 Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Bluerai,

Please use the plugins from the sw package. Watch the youtube video for instructions on how.

Ok, I'll try to redo it tonight.
I just got confused. I was trying to follow the directions in the video, and I was looking at the pictures in this thread, and reading the included instructions.. And there were differences between them, so I wasn't sure which one I should actually follow.

I'll follow the youtube video tonight and see if everything works and go from there.

Thanks for sticking with me
post #193 of 354 Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 PM

It works finally, no errors

Now to do some of the testing to see if it really makes a difference.

Thanks for everything!
post #194 of 354 Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Hi,
I recently put together my first HPTC using the Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz. It's a pretty powerful machine but when i use ffdshow to upscale low resolution content, from like ~600x350, just the resize to 1920x1080 alone takes up 60%+ CPU and any filters i apply on top or use the midrange script from the original post makes the video stutter like hell. I have checked everything i can think of but no clue what the issue is here.

If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it.
post #195 of 354 Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromearth View Post

Hi,
I recently put together my first HPTC using the Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz. It's a pretty powerful machine but when i use ffdshow to upscale low resolution content, from like ~600x350, just the resize to 1920x1080 alone takes up 60%+ CPU and any filters i apply on top or use the midrange script from the original post makes the video stutter like hell. I have checked everything i can think of but no clue what the issue is here.

If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it.

Hmm 60% seems a bit high just for resize. My old dual opteron 2.6 was better than that. Something is wrong there. Are you using the version of the software provided in this thread? Are you sure you didn't install the Intel version? There are two versions last time I checked. 8:13 would be the authority, but I am pretty sure I noticed two versions last time I installed it.
post #196 of 354 Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Zommplayer 7.0 "Mid range ffdshow" script. Crashes something 20 times in a row trying to load a program, every time the cause is mt_masktools-26.dll, I even did a full reinstall of Windows and all filter ... and sine the problem persists. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong I I know it works most of the time, say on 75% of videos I crash not at all, on 20% it take a number of times to start properly and on some 5% it never starts at all.

Is anyone else encountering a similar issue?
ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
post #197 of 354 Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I have updated the intermediate and frame doubler configurations. I have updated the sw too: ffdshow, haali media splitter, win7dsfiltertweaker.

I tested the zoomplayer 7 and it works for me with the new intermediate configuration. Also please use the sw in the sw kit and follow the youtube video before posting a error.

Also please list the renderer used and any special tweaks you may have done to zoomplayer or ffdshow.

Having reinstalled everything with the versions provided on 8/10/2010 and rebooted. It seems to be working currently.

Thanks,
ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
post #198 of 354 Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM

I solved all my issues installing the new O.S. (Seven 64 Bit), overclocking the CPU (I7 860 @ 3.5 GHz from 2.8) and speeding up the memories frequency to 1600 MHz.

Using the script from Noods (post 227) now I'm able to play PAL DVDs at 50fps, NTSC DVDs at 60fps and BluRays at 48fps with just 1 dropped and 1 repeated frame (when the movie starts).

I got stuttering only playing the concert Blurays at 60fps 'cause the CPU sometimes reaches the 100% usage: I will insert others 4 GB of memories, hoping that more memories usage will reduce the CPU load, or I'll upgrade the Cpu in the future.

I'm using a 32Bit software chain (MPC-HC, FFDShow, AviSynth and ReClock) just because there is not a 64Bit ReClock release and the normal version it's not used in the MPC-HC 64 Bit release).

8:13

I tested the last improved script: it works and it's perfect, too perfect... Infact, it exactly double the fps, and if it's not a problem with PAL (25 fps to 50), I got 47.952 or 59.940 with NTSC material.
Using ReClock and a CRT projector, I use 48Hz and 60Hz refresh rate with Powerstrip that perfectly matches 48 and 60 fps with the Noods script

Best Regards. Leo!
post #199 of 354 Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Jeremy,

I have used various iterations of software to enhance standard definition dvds for years now. Unfortunately, new software and hardware often force me to update and this last update has been my waterloo. Using 32bit win7 and repeatedly uninstalling previous ffdshow and avisynth versions, I have been totally unsuccessful in getting an image in either my old zp or with the mpc.

By unchecking avisynth I can get unmodified video through ffdshow in zp and mpc. Or if I uncheck the buffer in the avisynth tab of ffdshow I can get video and an error message saying "there is no function setmtmode(2) ...".

I have confirmed that the latest avisynth.dll in system32 from the package is the version of avisynth being called by the avisynth script by renaming that file. Trying different things I have had all of the script functions (seesaw and lsf) referenced in the same basic error message.

It has to be something simple but I cannot find the mistake. Help!!
post #200 of 354 Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Hello Can someone help me.
I'm getting an error:
Script error: there is no function named 'limitedshapenfaster_' (ffdshow_filter_avissynth_script, line 5)
post #201 of 354 Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey8 View Post

I'm getting an error:
Script error: there is no function named 'limitedshapenfaster_' (ffdshow_filter_avissynth_script, line 5)

I had the same problem. The script seems to be case sensitive so change the line to:
C = b.LimitedSharpenFaster_JD(strength=11).LimitedSharpenFaster_ JD(strength=11)
post #202 of 354 Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks. yeah I tried that too, still getting errors. I just uninstalled my codecs and reinstalled and said f*** it.
post #203 of 354 Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM

thanks for the info
post #204 of 354 Old 09-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Thank you for this great tutorial.

I am using the middle range setup to view TV recordings through SageTV. Some of the recordings are SD (NTSC captures) while others are already HD (QAM captures).

How to modify the middle range script such that the sharpening and resizing won't be applied to 720p or 1080p frames? Because ffdshow.ax sometimes crashes on HD mpeg2 recordings when the avisynth script was enabled.

Thanks.
post #205 of 354 Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey8 View Post

I'm getting an error:

I had the same thing happen to me and I found the problem.

The script in the first post has a typo in it. (It has a space between _ and jd) So if you copy your script from this web page delete that space. Or copy your script from instructions.txt included in the package.

post #206 of 354 Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This an incredible effort, great video, great download and instructions.

Except....it does not really work for me (I am pretty sure I messed up somewhere).

1) I have Vista x64 with both MPC and MPC-HC. On the MPC I added the ffdShow Audio and Video filters and they don't do DD/DTS passthrough. On MPC-HC....I have DD/DTS passthrough but the filter are shown as "unregistered".

2) What happens when you have a 1080p upscaling available on your receiver? Which one would be better?
post #207 of 354 Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Another question:

What's the rationale behind forcing the RGB32 conversion (youtube video)? Isn't YV12 faster and more accurate without the conversion?

P.S. I do use a nvidia card which allows the dynamic range setting.
post #208 of 354 Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

On MPC-HC....I have DD/DTS passthrough but the filter are shown as "unregistered".

This should be happened because the mixing of 32bit and 64bit softwares...

On my configuration (O.S. Seven 64bit, MPC-HC 32bit), I have to use a software chain of the same kind of the player, otherwise the different filter appears as unregistred.

I prefer the player at 32bit do to the fact that Reclock is only at 32bit: in this chain, FFDShow 64bit was shown as unregistered; the same happened using MPC-HC 64 bit with FFDShow and ReClock 32 bit: the were both shown as unregistred.

Best Regards. Leo!
post #209 of 354 Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM

This thread is great. I haven't actually started down its path yet, but have a question : Anybody know if it would be possible to configure XBMC's internal FFDShow player to do the same thing? I am using XBMC and am absolutely loving it, would flip out if I could have post-processing of this kind and still have it integrated.

Thanks!
post #210 of 354 Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Question withdrawn... figured it out, but this all is too much for an HTPC that has to pass the spousal acceptance test.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page