Movies with forced subtitles - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #721 of 827 Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm if Red and/or Red 2 have foreign subtitles for the English Bluray? If so, any idea where to get them? I'm pretty sure they do but can only pull the full subtitles from my original BluRay. Want to convert them for my media server and want to include the forced subtitles.

Thanks.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 827 Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The US BD of Red has no forced subs. Not sure about the sequel.
post #723 of 827 Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 PM

I just zipped thru my red 2 bluray thru my computer and looks like the foreign language parts on the US version are burned into the bluray.

JR
post #724 of 827 Old 05-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Counselor - US - Blu-Ray - 1st English Track Not Forced
post #725 of 827 Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (US BD) has two forced subs, starting at 0:58:55 and 0:59:35. They are in a separate track and both flagged as forced.
post #726 of 827 Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The Counselor - US - Blu-Ray - 1st English Track Not Forced

If the track is not forced, why are you posting it? Is it a foreign language sub that is just set as default instead of forced? Or?
post #727 of 827 Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

If the track is not forced, why are you posting it? Is it a foreign language sub that is just set as default instead of forced? Or?

Some forced subs are in a separate track, not the default and not marked as forced, because the Java on the original Blu-ray disk knows to display them. But if you rip to MKV (for example) it's up to you to mux in the correct subtitle track and manually set it to forced (or simply set it as the default track if all it contains is the forced subs).
post #728 of 827 Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I posted this in the Media Server forum and got a few good leads there to fix this but didn't really have enough time to play with it

I picked up Stalingrad this week and watched it on a real bluray player without a problem. The first English subtitle track is the deaf and hard of hearing (includes all the descriptions of sounds). That text appears in a black box. I think my player had this one on.

The foreign language English subtitle seems to be track 2. This is the one I'd think would be the desired track.

MakeMKV is displaying the subtitle like this though.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #729 of 827 Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Some forced subs are in a separate track, not the default and not marked as forced, because the Java on the original Blu-ray disk knows to display them. But if you rip to MKV (for example) it's up to you to mux in the correct subtitle track and manually set it to forced (or simply set it as the default track if all it contains is the forced subs).

^ This. That is why I like using Clown_BD first before I throw everything into an mkv with MKVMerge since I can analyze the subtitle tracks to hopefully catch the ones that aren't marked as forced

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #730 of 827 Old 05-18-2014, 10:19 AM

jumanji has a forced subtitle that's embedded in the main subtitle. Its only one line at the very end of the movie.
post #731 of 827 Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Hey all, I locked the sheet for a few minutes and cleaned it up. Removed several movies that had no titles and sorted the movie list by A-Z now. Trying to keep this cleaned up so it's useful for everyone.
techmattr likes this.
post #732 of 827 Old 05-18-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am trying to get forced subs to work using the instructions in post 309. However I cannot get it work properly. The m2ts file is made but the subtitles are not forced. I loaded the track in bdsup2sib to ensure that the track is properly flagged . I have included a screen shot of the meta file and the de muxed folder. Can anybody explain what I am doing wrong . Thanks for any help.
post #733 of 827 Old 05-18-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
What program are you playing it with? MPC-HC has had all sorts of problems properly handling PGS subtitles. Versions prior to 1.7.4 incorrectly forced the first subtitle track when using the internal LAV filters even when it shouldn't have. Versions after 1.7.3 don't show forced (individually flagged) subtitles. I reported this bug and it is already fixed in the nightly builds.
post #734 of 827 Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 PM

I am using mpc-hc. Media info also says there are no forced tracks. Additionally if I take the original m2ts rip and convert it to a mkv with mkvmerge the subtitle play correctly. I am very puzzled.
post #735 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What a long-winded way to get to the same (well almost same) point. Consider using MakeMKV, unless there is a compelling reason to use an m2ts file (the only additional part you may have to carry out is to change the header in the mkv file to 'forced' - sometimes MakeMKV misses that part). As you've already found out it works on conversion.
post #736 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex014 View Post

I am using mpc-hc. Media info also says there are no forced tracks. Additionally if I take the original m2ts rip and convert it to a mkv with mkvmerge the subtitle play correctly. I am very puzzled.
The subtitle bugs I mention also affect .mkv files also. If the .mkv plays correctly you must be flagging the subtitle_5... track as forced in the mkv header(s) and not relying on the individual flagging in the PGS stream itself. The latest nightly builds of MPC-HC should work correctly if subtitles_5... is the first subtitle stream in the .m2ts file.
post #737 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the info . 2 quick questions . Will there be any reduction in quality if I convert the m2ts files I have already ripped vs going back to original disk ? Second can use mkvmerge instead of make mkv . I seems to have good luck with that program .
post #738 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info . 2 quick questions . Will there be any reduction in quality if I convert the m2ts files I have already ripped vs going back to original disk ? Second can use mkvmerge instead of make mkv . I seems to have good luck with that program .
There shouldn't be any reduction in quality since you are not changing the streams, only remuxing them into different containers. I generally use mkvmerge. I have not used makemkv, so I can't speak to how they differ in capabilities.
post #739 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

As Stereodude points out - there will be no loss in quality, whichever way you choose to you go. Difference is that going forward, if you use MakeMKV (with the disc), you can cut out the demux - re-mux part and go from disc directly to file (mkv).
post #740 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all your help. I am just going to use mkv instead of m2ts
post #741 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Thanks for all your help. I am just going to use mkv instead of m2ts

When I first started ripping my discs at first I was doing encoded mkvs. After that I moved to (all lossless) ts, back to mkv, to BR folder rips, and now finally have settled on mkvs biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #742 of 827 Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Hey all, I locked the sheet for a few minutes and cleaned it up. Removed several movies that had no titles and sorted the movie list by A-Z now. Trying to keep this cleaned up so it's useful for everyone.

Actually think it is useful to have movies listed there that don't have forced subtitles. Not posted in the thread, but listed in sheets. If something isn't there, you don't know if it is just something nobody that has seen this thread has dealt with or if it truly doesn't have subtitles so you have to spend time checking.
post #743 of 827 Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 13
I'm not sure if it'll help anyone, but here's my solution when using XBMC.

I use XBMC for all our movies. Everything is de-muxed and re-muxed into 1 .MKV file without the subs using HDBRStream Extractor and MKV Merge. Audio and video, that's it. One movie per folder on the NAS. If there are hard-coded subs, job done. If it needs subs for foreign parts, then I get the .SRT for ONLY the foreign parts. Take that .SRT file and just drop it in the folder with the movie. Tiny Media Manager handles all of the metadata for me and also renames everything accordingly. (movie and subs must have the same root name). Then, all I have to do is make sure XBMC is set to show subs, which I leave on all the time now, and it shows only the foreign parts that you need. Works perfectly for us, and is so much easier than trying to hard-code the subs yourself.

S
post #744 of 827 Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty View Post

I'm not sure if it'll help anyone, but here's my solution when using XBMC.

I use XBMC for all our movies. Everything is de-muxed and re-muxed into 1 .MKV file without the subs using HDBRStream Extractor and MKV Merge. Audio and video, that's it. One movie per folder on the NAS. If there are hard-coded subs, job done. If it needs subs for foreign parts, then I get the .SRT for ONLY the foreign parts. Take that .SRT file and just drop it in the folder with the movie. Tiny Media Manager handles all of the metadata for me and also renames everything accordingly. (movie and subs must have the same root name). Then, all I have to do is make sure XBMC is set to show subs, which I leave on all the time now, and it shows only the foreign parts that you need. Works perfectly for us, and is so much easier than trying to hard-code the subs yourself.

S

I just rip the BR into a 1:1 MKV rip with MakeMKV, then open the file in the MKVMerge Header Editor. I change the subs I want as forced to "default" and "forced", save, and I'm done. For foriegn films I mark the audio track I want as the default track as "default", the main eng, sub track as "default" and "forced" and I'm done. In XBMC I leave subs OFF for all movies, and I get the audio and sub tracks I want playing by default. Works for Mediabrowser3's internal player as well.

Looky here!
post #745 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 13
The problem with doing it that way, at least for me, was that if I told it to force subs it would show ALL the subs, all the time. Not just foreign parts. Even if I didn't need them or turned them off. Maybe I was doing it wrong?
post #746 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

The problem with doing it that way, at least for me, was that if I told it to force subs it would show ALL the subs, all the time. Not just foreign parts. Even if I didn't need them or turned them off. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Sure, which is why I only use the forced flag on the eng forced sub track in eng language movies, and with the primary eng sub track on foreign language films. I can always change tracks during playback if want.

Looky here!
post #747 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds like you need to use a tool like BDSup2Sub to extract the forced subs (i.e. only the foreign parts) to a separate track. Then set the forced flag on that separate track. I think MakeMKV and/or DVDFab can automate this, too.
post #748 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My projector has a feature that "moves" subtitles which I use to place them within the 2.35:1 frame. What output scheme is required to maintain my projector's ability to move the subs? OTOH, I remember that there is feature in one of the tools in our kit that can do the same thing, so maybe I should let go of my concern that my PJ needs to handle the task?

Jeff
post #749 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

My projector has a feature that "moves" subtitles which I use to place them within the 2.35:1 frame. What output scheme is required to maintain my projector's ability to move the subs? OTOH, I remember that there is feature in one of the tools in our kit that can do the same thing, so maybe I should let go of my concern that my PJ needs to handle the task?

Jeff

BDSup2Sub can move them, if you're ripping. For discs there are a few players that can move them.

What model PJ are you talking about? I've never heard of that feature in a PJ.
post #750 of 827 Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Anyone have a updated guide on how to rip to MKV with force subs. I'm making the change from BD Folders to just MKV files now. I kept all the English subs and the commentary tracks when I ran everything though ClownBD. I'm just looking at keeping the main HD audio track along with any forced subs if they have any. I was thinking about ripping the regular subs to its own separate file and keeping them in the folder if I ever need them in the future but seems like you can find them on the net. I have alot of the software downloaded already I'm just not sure how to flag everything properly and how to figure out the Force subs for movies. Also when the Movie has say a Dolby TrueHD do I also need to check the ac3 track/none HD track if my secondary device can't playback the HD tracks? This is something in the past I wasn't sure on so I was kept my rips.

Basically looking for what the best to use for taking BD Folders to MKV. Also what to use for Disc to MKV ( the only time I might use this is for Seasons) otherwise I'll just rip to folders since I'd like to just make a batch file to run during the night.

Just posting this now but going to read through the last few pages on here.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page