Movies with forced subtitles - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #871 of 895 Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg21fan View Post
You need to go into the data column, and go to Protected Sheets and Ranges. From there you can set it up to where people can still edit entries but will get a warning that will at least prevent accidental changes to titles from hitting a key on a keyboard.
Well I say NEED to but it would really just be helpful. I tried to do it myself but I have no idea if it applied to everyone since I'm not the owner of the sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 895 Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg21fan View Post
Well I say NEED to but it would really just be helpful. I tried to do it myself but I have no idea if it applied to everyone since I'm not the owner of the sheet.
I just checked and it looks like it did stay. Thanks for adding that.
post #873 of 895 Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I successfully ripped Avatar Extended Edition with Navi translation-only subtitles.
It took me quite a while to figure out exactly what was going on and how to deal with it, so I'm going to spell it out step-by-step.
The BD I'm ripping is the "3-Disc Extended Collector's Edition" ©2009 (2D).
I discovered that the subtitles we want are in the second of 2 English subtitle tracks, and that none of the subtitles are flagged as forced.
BTW- There seems to be some confusion in the terminology we commonly use to describe subtitles:
"Forced subtitles" is a technique whereby a subset of the subtitles in a track are flagged so that they are displayed even when subtitles are disabled by the player.
It is one of a few techniques used to show foreign-language translation subtitles (when a significant line is spoken in a language that does not match that of the audio track).
Avatar ECE does NOT use this technique, but instead uses a separate subtitle track.
The other technique sometimes used is to burn-in subtitles directly into the video track.
To make a lossless rip, I use MakeMKV (v1.9.5) to read the BD directly from the BD drive on my PC, removing the copy-protection in the process:
  1. Select the desired Title (I chose the first one: 72 chapters); deselect the others.
  2. Expand the selected Title
  3. In the list of Subtitles, deselect the first "PGS English" track and its associated "forced only" option. (This track contains the full dialog plus hearing-impaired subs that you don't want.)
  4. Leave the second "PGS English" track selected (it's the 6th in the list), but deselect its "forced-only" option. (None of the subs in this track are flagged as forced; you really want ALL the subs here.)
  5. Complete your audio and output folder selections and Make the MKV.
To view subtitles, you need to enable subtitles in your player, as they remain in a subtitle track (only 1 track written), separate from video.

To make a compressed (lossy) rip, I first used AnyDVDHD to make a hard-disc image of the BD without copy-protection (procedure described here).
You could alternatively just reuse the MKV from the lossless copy, if you already did that rip.
Then I used HandBrake (v0.10.2) to make either a MP4 or MKV compressed file for playback:
  1. Open the Folder where AnyDVD wrote the disc image ("AVATAR_CE_D1").
  2. Select the desired Title, in my case Track 2 (0002.mpls).
  3. Select the desired Container. I chose MKV so that I could preserve the DTS-HD MA audio.
  4. In the Subtitles tab, select AddTrack: Add New Track.
  5. Change the Source from "1 English (PGS)" to "6 English (PGS)". (If you're reusing the lossless MKV, there will be only one track.)
  6. Select "Burn In", so that the translation subtitles will be shown regardless of your player settings.
  7. Leave "Forced Only" and "Default" deselected. (Add no other subtitle tracks.)
  8. Complete your video, audio and Destination selections and start the conversion.

These procedures worked when played on the PC using VLC, and when played on my Oppo BDP103 accessing my network hard drive.
Let us know if your experience differs. I am aware that these procedures do not apply to the original Avatar BD release (I have not ripped that one).

"We must smoke to your return"
post #874 of 895 Old 10-03-2015, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone remember if Ultron has subs? I don't remember, I saw it opening night.
post #875 of 895 Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
Does anyone remember if Ultron has subs? I don't remember, I saw it opening night.
I don't remember any subs but if there are they are hardcoded. I always track on my rips when I run into forced or separate subs and there weren't any on Ultron like there was on the first Avengers movie.
post #876 of 895 Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Found a local store (that shall remain unnamed) that had Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) Blu-ray out on their shelf.

Forced English sub can be found in the 2nd English PGS track. In MakeMKV, I only had 'English (forced only)' option enabled. If you enable the entire 2nd track, then you get subs throughout the whole movie.

Where I found the first instance (maybe there are more): 00:13:32 to 00:13:42.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #877 of 895 Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know of a good service to find Forced subtitles? Most sites I've found don't allow me to filter or search the site for forced subs only, but meerly return all subtitles for searched movie.
post #878 of 895 Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know about good, but sources:
- subscene.com
- opensubtitles.com

post #879 of 895 Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn double post; sorry.

Last edited by Brajesh; 01-07-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #880 of 895 Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yea I use those sites all the time. They just don't allow you to filter on forced subtitles only. I really wish there was a service that could do that.
post #881 of 895 Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

'The Martian' (2015) 3D Blu-ray has forced subs (the 2nd English PGS track) when the Chinese space agency heads are first introduced (at the 01:20:42 mark).

post #882 of 895 Old 01-08-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by talguy View Post
Does anyone know of a good service to find Forced subtitles? Most sites I've found don't allow me to filter or search the site for forced subs only, but meerly return all subtitles for searched movie.
What are you using to rip movies? Or are you downloading them? You can us mkvtoolnix and remux the subtitle track and force it into the movie. Sometimes it is a guess and check thing but it does work every time. I spent a long time for a solution until somebody helped me out with this. just make sure when you rip a movie that you select every English subtitle and forced subtitles. I had to go back and re-rip a lot of movies because of this because I want everything on my sever perfect.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #883 of 895 Old 01-14-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

'The Walk' (2015) 3D Blu-ray has forced subs (the 2nd English PGS track) at the dentist office scene (at the 00:05:20 mark).

post #884 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the Forced Subtitles spreadsheet. It's been helpful! I'm at the tail-end of digitizing the rest of my collection, as well as converting over a few files that I digitized long ago for my media server. These last bit of movies I converted 1:1 with makeMKV before I really understood everything about digitizing, and as a result I did not include ANY subtitle tracks. Therefore, without watching each movie, I don't know if these actually have any forced subtitles. Can anyone verify that any of these do or do NOT have forced subs? These are the only ones I couldn't find on the master spreadsheet.

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
The Book of Eli
Green Hornet
Percy Jackson - The Lightning Thief
Skyline
The Pink Panther (2006)
The Pink Panther 2 (2009)
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
True Grit
Underworld - Rise of the Lycans

Thanks for any help!

Chuck
Lexington, KY
Jedi Temple Archives
post #885 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue3ky View Post
Thanks to all for the Forced Subtitles spreadsheet. It's been helpful!

Thanks for any help!
Wouldn't that mean there are not any forced subs??
post #886 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Not necessarily. I just didn't pull ANY subs. After I did a bunch of movies I noticed this with one move I knew to have subtitles and none were showing up. That's when I stopped and learned the right way to do it. By then it was too late and I had a bunch done (this was several years ago). So, I don't know if any of the above movies even need or have them. If they don't then I can move forward and compress them down with handbrake.

Chuck
Lexington, KY
Jedi Temple Archives
post #887 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Wireless member

Check with the Ripping Blu-rays II thread if you don't know how to add subs to your existing rips. I seem to remember reading that can be done.
post #888 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I just didn't pull ANY subs. After I did a bunch of movies I noticed this with one move I knew to have subtitles and none were showing up. That's when I stopped and learned the right way to do it. By then it was too late and I had a bunch done (this was several years ago). So, I don't know if any of the above movies even need or have them. If they don't then I can move forward and compress them down with handbrake.

Chuck
Lexington, KY
Jedi Temple Archives
post #889 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
If you don't know how to ... and I think it can be done ... add subs to previous rips, drop in on the Ripping Blu-rays II thread.
post #890 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
If you don't know how to ... and I think it can be done ... add subs to previous rips, drop in on the Ripping Blu-rays II thread.
Well, yes I figured I could do that. I just didn't want to bother with any that didn't need it so i'm trying to narrow down which ones don't have any forced subtitles.

Chuck
Lexington, KY
Jedi Temple Archives
post #891 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Can anyone verify that any of these do or do NOT have forced subs? These are the only ones I couldn't find on the master spreadsheet
This one does have forced subs, at time 1:21:31:
The Pink Panther (2006)

I am sure these do not have forced subs:
The Book of Eli
True Grit (neither 1969 nor 2010 have forced subs)

These I have no idea:
Green Hornet
Skyline
post #892 of 895 Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
This one does have forced subs, at time 1:21:31:
The Pink Panther (2006)
Thanks for the info! I was able to download and add the forced subs for this movie.

Chuck
Lexington, KY
Jedi Temple Archives
post #893 of 895 Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Thanks to all for the Forced Subtitles spreadsheet. It's been helpful! I'm at the tail-end of digitizing the rest of my collection, as well as converting over a few files that I digitized long ago for my media server. These last bit of movies I converted 1:1 with makeMKV before I really understood everything about digitizing, and as a result I did not include ANY subtitle tracks. Therefore, without watching each movie, I don't know if these actually have any forced subtitles. Can anyone verify that any of these do or do NOT have forced subs? These are the only ones I couldn't find on the master spreadsheet.

The Book of Eli
Green Hornet
Skyline
The Pink Panther (2006)
True Grit

Thanks for any help!
If you have ripped all of these with MakeMKV and selected subtitles and forced subtitles, you can use a program called MKVtoolnix and and remux the correct subtitle track in to where the foreign parts only show up with subtitles. Some times it is guess and check, but it doesn't take that long to remux a movie and I never compress.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #894 of 895 Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Wireless member

Can the remuxing in of subs be done in a batch? Is the software multi-processor/multi-core aware?
post #895 of 895 Old Today, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bridge of Spies - can someone please confirm if this contains any forced subs? Someone updated the spreadsheet stating there are some beginning around the 1:10 mark. I've demuxed the PGS streams and found only one English track and then ran that through BDSUP2SUB and found no forced subs. This is the Canadian disc if that helps. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers