dvd ripping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, first post... what fun.

After much searching, trying, and many flase starts, I finally got to where I can rip my TV shows from dvd to xvid without the audio being way out of sync, but I'm very confused as to how I got to where I'm at.

First, I started with the free one: AutoGK. This tool scared me at first, as it brings in several other packages as dependencies. Once I actually started my first rip, my apprehension was put to rest, as the procedure was pretty straight forward. After a little over an hour, I had a ripped episode in xvid on my computer. The video looked awesome and the sound was ok (AC-3/5.1 down-mixed to 128k stereo mp3), but they were 1-2 seconds out of sync. Bummer.

I tried several shareware/freeware packages, including Xilisoft, Movavi, DVD2AVI, DVDFab, and a few others that I've already forgotten the names of. Some were easier to use than others, but they all resulted in the same problem: Video and Audio were hopelessly out of sync. I yanked and installed several different versions of ac3filter & xvid, but no help. I tried stand-alone and ffdshow (old and new), but nothing worked.

Finally, I decided to try the sh*ts and giggles department... I used VideoReDo to convert the VOB to MPG, then used AutoGK to recode the MPG to AVI/Xvid. Much to my surprise, the audio and video were finally in sync. Woohoo! To eliminate other issues, I pointed AutoGK back to the VOB, but it was again out of sync when trans-coding from VOB to xivd/mp3.

1) Why, when using the same tools, would VOB -> MPG -> Xvid work, while skipping the middle-man result in horrific sync problems?

2) What method/tool/utility can I use to preserve the original 5.1 sound from the AC-3 stream? Everything I tried seems to want to down-mix to a stereo mp3, which is fine for some stuff (sitcom and dramas), but if I'd much rather have my Sci-fi / action shows in glorious 5.1 if I can.

3) Please tell me I'm not the only one who has wasted an entire weekend trying to figure this crap out...

Much thanks,

-Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Try using TMPEnc 4 it has a free trial. It's not free but you get what you pay for.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I wrote a post on my blog about some different options for ripping tv episodes:

http://dbone1026.blogspot.com/2009/0...eries-dvd.html

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Handbrake is incredibly simple and works great for ripping TV episodes from DVD. You can encode the video to either h.264 or Xvid, and the audio to MP3 or AAC, or keep the original AC3 5.1 track. There is absolutely no need for a more complicated solution.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Handbrake is incredibly simple and works great for ripping TV episodes from DVD. You can encode the video to either h.264 or Xvid, and the audio to MP3 or AAC, or keep the original AC3 5.1 track. There is absolutely no need for a more complicated solution.

Completely agree. I think a new version of Handbrake should be coming out by year end (will not support Xvid but h.264 is the way to go)

If you don't want to encode MakeMKV is a great alternative.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page