ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - Page 191 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5701 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

Is there a general concensus as to the "best" combo of DR and Pixel format (I realize this is broken)? I'm currently trying DR limited and RGB Full and EVERYTHING seems washed out. I don't care as much about the desktop since I ONLY use my HTPC for movie watching.

theoretically that should work, but it's broken.

The only thing that gives consistent black levels with out of the box settings right now is...

YCC w/ DR Full

At least on a 5450 w/ 10.2, other hardware seems to produce different results.

RGB Limited w/ DR Full should also work, but currently it crushes alot of what should be shadow detail on BD.

RGB Full w/ DR Limited should work for video (Although desktop will be bad), but RGB full is broken.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone noticed an audio delay when you use 1080P@24Hz while playing a BD in TMT3 (v170)? I was doing some final testing for tonight to make sure my wife won't harrass me about the media center not working and I noticed this problem while playing Batman Begin, which has a TrueHD track.

I switched the display to 1080P60 and the delay was gone.
post #5703 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Not to come across as condescending but, this is one of the reasons I have a dedicated BD (Panasonic) player with my PS3 slim as the backup.
TMT3, PDVD9, etc, I just don't see the point but I'm speaking for myself only and the HTPC arena is filled with many colorful choices.

Aside from BD's, TrueHD has been a PITA.
post #5704 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post

Not to come across as condescending but, this is one of the reasons I have a dedicated BD (Panasonic) player with my PS3 slim as the backup.
TMT3, PDVD9, etc, I just don't see the point but I'm speaking for myself only and the HTPC arena is filled with many colorful choices.

I curse my decision not to buy a stand alone constantly.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5705 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM

yes but a STA player can't dump BD from 'cheap Tuesday' on the Harddrive to watch on Friday/Saturday

I don't have any problems, PowerDVD 9 keeps all my setting, picture looks great...bitstreams with my ATI 5770

Also use GBPVR for HDTV and SDTV PVR etc, HTPC has 3 DVI/HDMI outputs (I use 2, TV and Projector)
Internet on the TV
Streaming internet TV and Videos
Gaming...

My last STA DVD players was 4 years ago, it required a 'hacked' firmware to play Xvid/multi-zone etc...which I downloaded from the internet

With AnyDVD-HD I can do what ever I want with my media

I'd be so bored with a STA player

Yes my system is 99.9% remote controlled (can't exit PowerDVD with remote, thats it - can with TMT3). Yes has auto picture and audio switching. Yes my wife can put a disc in and select 'DVD Player' from the GBPVR menu and watch a disc
post #5706 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I curse my decision not to buy a stand alone constantly.

Ditto, I will always use an HTPC (since 2002) but for me using it for playing BD has been a far too expensive exercise, first my Anus Xonar HDAV1.3 dies after six months usage, and by the time I get it back it will be worthless , then the PSU in my new SG05 case is DOA, so 30 bucks later to send the faulty components back, then buy an HIS HD 5670 IceQ ($150AU ) all just to play the occasional bloooray has made up my mind to buy an el cheepo region free standalone BD player that can be had for under 200 bucks
post #5707 of 7498 Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

Has anyone noticed an audio delay when you use 1080P@24Hz while playing a BD in TMT3 (v170)? I was doing some final testing for tonight to make sure my wife won't harrass me about the media center not working and I noticed this problem while playing Batman Begin, which has a TrueHD track.

I switched the display to 1080P60 and the delay was gone.

No problems here using TMT3 .170 @ 24Hz on my Toshiba, did you actually set the refresh rate to 23? That will give you 23.976 you have to set it in desktop property's.
post #5708 of 7498 Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
After watching some movies last night in 7MC I did get the occasional jitterbug. So the lack of hw acceleration is probably causing the jitters. In my case it just starts to do the jitterbug but eventually corrects itself with no sync issues.
post #5709 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDecoded View Post

Hi.
Would you recommend WinDVD, TMT, PowerDVD or mpc-hc with anydvd atm?
I don't have to funds for a standalone player + anydvd right now so what would be my best choice to play b-r and hd-dvd? If Im correct neither pdvd or tmt can play hddvd and bitstream them with the 5xxx? Anyone got info on windvd?

Thanks

Ok, I'll up this with the info i've got thus far and some questions when i've limited my options to two.

1. I have a H20L reader with a 5450, is it possible to open the .evo files from the disc with mpc+anydvd and bitstream or do I need to rip it with clownbd?
2. TMT3 will play hddvds form disc with menus, but only send it as pcm, correct? If so , will it be possible to rip the movies in any way (i heard that clownbd could make it bitstreamable?) w/o anydvd or do I need it too.
3. What is my best way to do this? I'd really like not having too rip all my hddvds but could do it i guess.. Or should I just do not care, buy pdvd and get an external player for the hddvds? (which i'd hate, grr space eaters).
4. Would the 5450 work with pdvd 7/8 if you do not bitstream hd dvds?

Thanks again, gotta make my mind up before the promos end..
post #5710 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I'll up this with the info i've got thus far and some questions when i've limited my options to two.

1. I have a H20L reader with a 5450, is it possible to open the .evo files from the disc with mpc+anydvd and bitstream or do I need to rip it with clownbd?

In MPC-HC use play DVD folder function as it also supports bluray structure. MPCHC will bit stream from ANY container if properly configured. In otherwords you dont necessarily need to remux the movie. The only issue is that playing the direct m2TS file may have an issue switching the audio track. If you play via the bluray structure (play dvd as mentioned) you can change the audio track. What I have noticed which is annoying it selects a random audio track which half the time you have to change.

2. TMT3 will play hddvds form disc with menus, but only send it as pcm, correct? If so , will it be possible to rip the movies in any way (i heard that clownbd could make it bitstreamable?) w/o anydvd or do I need it too.

If you want no issues in TMT rip to a bluray structure. ClowBD uses eac3to and TSMUXER. Thus its ripping out the audio video tracks and throwing out everything else - no HDDVD. TMT is known to be flaky with HDDVD - one version it works another they break it. Once you have ripped the movie, ANYDVD is no longer needed as the encryption is one of those things that gets thrown out (anydvd of course needed during the ripping).

3. What is my best way to do this? I'd really like not having too rip all my hddvds but could do it i guess.. Or should I just do not care, buy pdvd and get an external player for the hddvds? (which i'd hate, grr space eaters).

TMT is probably your best bet as they still claim to support HDDVD and generally when they dont break things plays very well. I recently went to a commercial player - I am happy overall with TMT (using MPC-HC for years). If your going to spend $$ TMT is the best palyer for you.

4. Would the 5450 work with pdvd 7/8 if you do not bitstream hd dvds?
Yes it will.

Thanks again, gotta make my mind up before the promos end..
post #5711 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks alot for the info.
I got the tryout version of anydvd hd + mpc-hc and couldnt make it (#slevin / the departed) work playing hddvds without ripping them so I guess I'll have to pick up atleast one of the commercial players.. Anyway, bought tmt and hopefully I'll be pleased with it.
post #5712 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM

I find it amazing that Microsoft/Intel/ATI etc. can't or will not come up with a simple solution to building an HTPC that can easily play music and video in all the latest formats. I have a socket 775 based machine running Win7 Home premimum with HD4670 graphics. It's hooked up to a Onkyp 706 then to a Panny 58S1. It's incredibly frustrating and difficult to get reliable and detailed information. What's so hard, all I want is the ability to play CD/DVD/BD in whatever format I want, whether it be 1080p with bitstream or whatever. I paid for the digitial bits on all these discs, just can't seem to get the data off them unretricted by corporate america. Don't want to use 49 different third party solutions, just want to go into Media Center and click on the cover and have it play! This has got to be all about the money. My signal path is fully HDCP compliant what else do you want? That question is for Microsoft and the movie studios. They are shooting themselves in the foot by continually hamstringing the HTPC enthusiast! I have a Sammy BD that plays everything seamlessly not to mention Netflix streaming, it just won't hold 200 DVD's, 500 CDs, and a hundred BD's.
post #5713 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmit011 View Post

I find it amazing that Microsoft/Intel/ATI etc. can't or will not come up with a simple solution to building an HTPC that can easily play music and video in all the latest formats. I have a socket 775 based machine running Win7 Home premimum with HD4670 graphics. It's hooked up to a Onkyp 706 then to a Panny 58S1. It's incredibly frustrating and difficult to get reliable and detailed information. What's so hard, all I want is the ability to play CD/DVD/BD in whatever format I want, whether it be 1080p with bitstream or whatever. I paid for the digitial bits on all these discs, just can't seem to get the data off them unretricted by corporate america. Don't want to use 49 different third party solutions, just want to go into Media Center and click on the cover and have it play! This has got to be all about the money. My signal path is fully HDCP compliant what else do you want? That question is for Microsoft and the movie studios. They are shooting themselves in the foot by continually hamstringing the HTPC enthusiast! I have a Sammy BD that plays everything seamlessly not to mention Netflix streaming, it just won't hold 200 DVD's, 500 CDs, and a hundred BD's.

It's not Microsoft. It's the studios.

They are scared of the PC, so they make it neigh impossible for us to have a 1st class experience.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5714 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 AM

In the supported formats tab of the ATI HDMI Output, I just see DD, DTS, sample rates till 96KHz and bit depth till 24 bit (lseems ok).
Shouldn't I have more than this?
Is this connected to not having a TrueHD/DTS-MA compatible receiver? Im using a Marantz SR7001, does this have anything to do with it?

Reason I am asking this, is because I have no clue to what the pc is outputting to the amp.
I am playing Blu-ray and HDDVD with TMT3 (.170) through lpcm. How can I see what my pc outputs besides using Reclock, cause this is not working with the latest patch of TMT? Gives the error "the audio format is not supported by the hardware/driver. 48/24bitpcm/6channels" when playing HDDVD with TrueHD.

Used card is the Sapphire HD5770 1GB
Driver is the ATI HDMI from Catalyst 10.2.
post #5715 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

It will only display the formats that both your card and receiver can do, so if your receiver doesn't do the "HD" formats, then that's that. (Except for DD+, it shows up there, but AFAIK no one has been able to bitstream that.)
post #5716 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

It will only display the formats that both your card and receiver can do, so if your receiver doesn't do the "HD" formats, then that's that. (Except for DD+, it shows up there, but AFAIK no one has been able to bitstream that.)

My mind has rest now , thanks Andy!

Any way of knowing what the pc is really outputting? Without a receiver which is able to show it of course.
post #5717 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post

Do you mind sharing WHICH BD model you chose from Panasonic?

BR is the ONLY format I can't play on my system without jumping through hoops to get software that MIGHT work. Looking over this site convinced me that by the time I DID get the software right...I coulda had a V-8.

As forplaying DVD? flawless! Using a new build HTPC with a clarkdale processor, HIS5670, WMC and my old 42 inch Magnavox.

I'll take the 3 out of 4 flawless performance from the 'puter and join you in a stand alone BD player.
post #5718 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggies666 View Post

My mind has rest now , thanks Andy!

Any way of knowing what the pc is really outputting? Without a receiver which is able to show it of course.

What do you mean by "what" it's really outputting?
post #5719 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Oh I don't know. PDVD9 has a neat bug where all the DD trailers on all my BD's show up as Digital Plus on the Pio.
post #5720 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, Andy, just got my Nine Hundred Two today. What an AWESOME case! It's definitely smaller than my old one (what's that tell you?? ) but it ROCKS! I love the PSU on the bottom. The 5870 fit once I took out the GPU cooling bracket (meh). And the "big boy" is freaking HUGE! (200mm top case fan for those that aren't aware). The best part is the case is REALLY quiet. Turn down the fans for movie time and crank em for gaming time. Cases have come a long way in the last 10 years. Anyway, my HTPC is back together and seems to be working now. I've got it on the surge side of a brand new UPS so hopefully I'll have no further problems.
post #5721 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Oh I don't know. PDVD9 has a neat bug where all the DD trailers on all my BD's show up as Digital Plus on the Pio.

Sshhh! Please don't wake up the paranoid crowd.
post #5722 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sshhh! Please don't wake up the paranoid crowd.

hahahaha. DD+ is one thing, the others, yeaaa, not so much. Nonetheless it's a humorous bug.
post #5723 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

BTW, Andy, just got my Nine Hundred Two today. What an AWESOME case! It's definitely smaller than my old one (what's that tell you?? ) but it ROCKS! I love the PSU on the bottom. The 5870 fit once I took out the GPU cooling bracket (meh). And the "big boy" is freaking HUGE! (200mm top case fan for those that aren't aware). The best part is the case is REALLY quiet. Turn down the fans for movie time and crank em for gaming time. Cases have come a long way in the last 10 years. Anyway, my HTPC is back together and seems to be working now. I've got it on the surge side of a brand new UPS so hopefully I'll have no further problems.

That 200mm fan is AWESOME. My P180 mini has one and I wish my normal P182 had it. What I did with my case is to take out the 120mm fan in the back, tape some paper over that hole so air doesn't come in, and have the big one on top suck the air, which comes in from the bottom (where there's a fanless PSU) and through the HDD drives. Temps are cool even with the 200mm fan at low. Playing Dirt2 got my fanless 5770 (with Accelero S1) up to the low 80's, overclocked to 950 MHz (GPU always at about 99%), but got some hangs even though that temp is not that bad.

I just crank the fan when playing, and temps never go higher than the mid-60's and no hangs at all! I even think I could probably put the Thermalright 120 Extreme I got on my other PC without a fan on top of my C2Q 9450 and I could get rid of the only other fan in my case (a 90mm Noctua at super low speed). I can't hear that one even over the Big Boy at its lowest, so I'm probably not making the effort to replace coolers.
post #5724 of 7498 Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, I'm very impressed. I figured with the size of the fan, and the amount of fans it's got that it'd be loud. It's very quiet. I've not tried my games yet (should crank up some ME2 or DiRT2) but BD's are rockin' on it now. Plus it's got the 2 usb ports at the top so my son and I can plug our controllers in and use the thing like a console. That 5870 is just amazing. And the fact that it fits is a great thing.
post #5725 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody been able to get two monitors working at the same time?

I have the HDMI output running to my Onkyo 805 (connected to a 720p pj) and the DVI port running to a 1400 x 900 monitor.

When the Onkyo is turned on the monitor will only display the desktop picture with a black border around it.

Will changing the monitor's resolution and refresh rate to 720p 60hz fix this?

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #5726 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

Has anybody been able to get two monitors working at the same time?

I have the HDMI output running to my Onkyo 805 (connected to a 720p pj) and the DVI port running to a 1400 x 900 monitor.

When the Onkyo is turned on the monitor will only display the desktop picture with a black border around it.

Will changing the monitor's resolution and refresh rate to 720p 60hz fix this?

This is a function of your video card drivers. Some permit the use of 2 distinct in resolution display device, some don't. Check your drivers setting for that.
post #5727 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by "what" it's really outputting?

Sorry, I ment which quality the pc outputs. If TMT says it's outputting 48/24 pcm (i.e. Rush, Snakes and Arrows BR), does that really go to my amp or is maybe windows interfering somewhere? For HDDVD, TMT does not specify what the player is doing, just TrueHD.
Downsampling has been an issue for such a long time, that now it all works i would like to see the numbers on the screen . And make a good comparrison between the good old DD, DTS and the newer standards. Wondering if my set will make it audible...or if my ears are good enough to hear it
post #5728 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggies666 View Post

Sorry, I ment which quality the pc outputs. If TMT says it's outputting 48/24 pcm (i.e. Rush, Snakes and Arrows BR), does that really go to my amp or is maybe windows interfering somewhere? For HDDVD, TMT does not specify what the player is doing, just TrueHD.
Downsampling has been an issue for such a long time, that now it all works i would like to see the numbers on the screen . And make a good comparrison between the good old DD, DTS and the newer standards. Wondering if my set will make it audible...or if my ears are good enough to hear it

Quite frankly, no. The downsampling issue hasn't really ever been about AQ. It's about screwing up the audio with bugs. (Channel mapping being the most common irritating problem, but, there have been others) _*VERY*_ few people can honestly tell the difference between 48/24 and 48/16. It might be noticeable at 96/24 going to 48/16, but, the difference isn't going to blow you away or knock your socks off...Maybe if you have REALLY high end equipment you'd possibly notice.

What REALLY counts more than whether it's downsampled or not is whether it's output CORRECTLY. Given the layers of stuff the audio typically has to go through, it's no wonder we've had problems with this. Right now, for example, DTS on DVD's gets channel mapped incorrectly. That's more of an issue than downsampling.
post #5729 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, and I thought TMT had already resolved its mapping issues. I'm using .161, is this DTS bug introduced in .170?
post #5730 of 7498 Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM

Channel mapping is indeed far worse than the difference between 48/16 and 48/24. I actually wasn't even aming to hear that difference yet . Hearing audible difference between DTS/DD and the HD formats would already make me very happy. This is the main reason that I want to verify what the system is outputting.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page