ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

ever heard of a low-profile HTPC case?

BAHHHHHHH. Full tower! I actually have a low profile HTPC case in the bedroom and I was concerned about just getting the 4850 in that thing. This card wouldn't even come CLOSE to fitting in that. I had to remove a drive bay to get it to fit in my tower case for crying out loud!! This card is *HUGE*!!! I'm with everyone else in this thread. If your main goal is HTPC, do NOT buy one of these. I bought it cause I game, as well. And at idle this thing is very quiet and very low temps. WAY lower than my 4850 in fact. A nice 57xx card would make the PERFECT HTPC card, though. So, hang in there and wait a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

For a while I was trying to have one box to rule them all: HTPC use, gaming, etc. But I have come to the conclusion that I can't do that, so I have 2: a gaming PC and a HTPC. My HTPC is almost completely silent, and can play all BDs, DVDs, and other media, but 3D gaming is out of the question. My gaming PC makes more noise than I care to hear when watching movies, but can burn through the 3D games.

At least we have lots of choices, and the choices are improving over time.

That's why I like this new 5870 card. When playing a movie, it's very low fan speed and hence darn near silent. In fact, I have more problem with the case fans right now than I do with the video card. When gaming, it'll crank up the speed a bit on the fan so it's a little noisier but overall not bad at all. I'm not recommending this card for strict HTPC users as it's overkill, but, someone who games and does HTPC, this is currently the best card I've seen. I'm really impressed with it.
post #183 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

That's why I like this new 5870 card. When playing a movie, it's very low fan speed and hence darn near silent. In fact, I have more problem with the case fans right now than I do with the video card. When gaming, it'll crank up the speed a bit on the fan so it's a little noisier but overall not bad at all. I'm not recommending this card for strict HTPC users as it's overkill, but, someone who games and does HTPC, this is currently the best card I've seen. I'm really impressed with it.

Can the fan be set to a very low speed using Rivatuner?
post #184 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Samuri have you tested WASAPI exclusive on this card, over HDMI? I'm wondering specifically if it works with ReClock outputting 24 or 32-bit with ATI drivers. I'm also wondering if the Realtek drivers work with these.
post #185 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Can the fan be set to a very low speed using Rivatuner?

Very likely. I've not messed with it as at idle it's only at 21% and running right around 39C for a temp. And at 21% you can't hear it in my tower case. My annoying case fans, otoh, I will need to deal with sooner rather than later. I think they need to get replaced with something a little quieter. But yea, it should have the same fan control as all the 4xxx cards did.
post #186 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Samuri have you tested WASAPI exclusive on this card, over HDMI? I'm wondering specifically if it works with ReClock outputting 24 or 32-bit with ATI drivers. I'm also wondering if the Realtek drivers work with these.

I'll be blunt...the most testing I've done with this card is with gaming. And it far surpasses my wildest expectations there. However, I saw the ffdshow bitstreaming edition tryout and grabbed it. I'll see if I can try that out later. Also I don't have reclock installed right now for various reasons. I'm not sure how well it's going to work on my 64 bit W7 anyway. And don't know about the realtek drivers because it has its own HDMI audio driver that I assume is needed for bitstreaming support.
post #187 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=15:)
post #188 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Success!

Just kidding. Yup, the screenshot is real, but TrueHD indicator does not light up yet. (HD 4670, ffdshow bitstream beta 7 [ffdshow_rev3089_20090930_dbt_beta7] with ReClock).
LL
post #189 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Hi guys, sorry i haven't followed the whole thread posts:
May somebody confirm whether he/she gets pass-through bitstream as is via Power DVD Ultra 9 over any 5*** series card?

If the answer is "yes", i'd be appreciated if you add a shot taken from the front panel of your receiver.

Thx in advance.

Yeah, i wanna know too because i don't want to buy if the front of my AV said multi channel. Come on some one got to have this card already
post #190 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobestonecold View Post

Yeah, i wanna know too because i don't want to buy if the front of my AV said multi channel. Come on some one got to have this card already

Oh I have the card. I simply refuse to buy PDVD9 again. I returned it the last time I bought it and just can't bring myself to waste the money on it.
post #191 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Success!

Just kidding. TrueHD indicator does not light up yet. (HD 4670.)

Oh you have a 4xxx card. You had me concerned. I am interested enough to try this out on my 5870 later. What exactly do I need to do to get it working? I have the sample m2ts file and the ffdshow installer. I haven't played with this stuff in a while so is there anything special I need to know? I'll definitely check it out for us when I get a free minute.
post #192 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just in case ReClock works pretty well here on Windows 7 x64 (RC), just like it was on Vista 32.
post #193 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if someone wants to walk me through all the steps I need to test it I'll give it a shot. I just don't want to waste a lot of time trying it out.
post #194 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just in case ReClock works pretty well here on Windows 7 x64 (RC), just like it was on Vista 32.

Haven't seen any feedback where it has to be?
Any shots from ffdshow and reclock properties pages and from the front panel of your AVR?

Chronical Tester
post #195 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

oh no, I was referring to Samuri's comment above that he didn't know if ReClock would work well on Windows 7 x64. It doesn't have to do with ffdshow or bitstreaming, I was just wondering if regular WASAPI exclusive works with ReClock and these cards for 24-bit audio (or 32-bit output in ReClock) with ATI drivers. It doesn't with the 4000 series, and it's the only thing keeping me from switching from the Realtek drivers.
post #196 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

That remains to be seen. But apparently the ffdshow stuff may need the wasapi exclusive mode so I'm not sure if reclock is needed or not to make that work. What's interesting is how they managed to get bitstreaming to work. They cheated. And I LOVE it! So, I really do want to test it.
post #197 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh no, I was referring to Samuri's comment above that he didn't know if ReClock would work well on Windows 7 x64. It doesn't have to do with ffdshow or bitstreaming, I was just wondering if regular WASAPI exclusive works with ReClock and these cards for 24-bit audio (or 32-bit output in ReClock) with ATI drivers. It doesn't with the 4000 series, and it's the only thing keeping me from switching from the Realtek drivers.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Chronical Tester
post #198 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Oh I have the card. I simply refuse to buy PDVD9 again. I returned it the last time I bought it and just can't bring myself to waste the money on it.

I agree with you, prefer not to use the 5xxx if it means paying for PDVD9.
post #199 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Success!

Just kidding. TrueHD indicator does not light up yet. (HD 4670.)

Ok how did you manage this?
post #200 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My tests with ffdshow and mpc-hc aren't going well at the moment. I think I set up ffdshow correctly but I'm getting LPCM on the test TrueHD file.
post #201 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I got ffdshow to work finally with mpc-hc, but, the results aren't good. So far I'm just getting garbled junk coming through. The receiver lights up with PCM (not multi-channel) and the output is garbled completely. I have disabled the internal filters for mpc-hc and am using ffdshow external filters as my preferred. I can see ffdshow come up on the taskbar when the sound and video are playing so that's all good. I have reclock set to wasapi exclusive for pcm and I have mpc-hd set to use reclock as the default output device. In ffdshow I enabled all the audio codecs and set the new experimental checkbox. Reclock shows 48KHz, 2 channel, PCM.
post #202 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I think he is really kidding

Chronical Tester
post #203 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got ffdshow to work finally with mpc-hc, but, the results aren't good. So far I'm just getting garbled junk coming through. The receiver lights up with PCM (not multi-channel) and the output is garbled completely. I have disabled the internal filters for mpc-hc and am using ffdshow external filters as my preferred. I can see ffdshow come up on the taskbar when the sound and video are playing so that's all good. I have reclock set to wasapi exclusive for pcm and I have mpc-hd set to use reclock as the default output device. In ffdshow I enabled all the audio codecs and set the new experimental checkbox. Reclock shows 48KHz, 2 channel, PCM.

I think we're supposed to be waiting until James hears back from albain so he can enable ReClock to take in bitstreamed audio, so although I've always thought the chance is slim, hope is not lost. It should not work right now like you've found out, so no big deal.
post #204 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we're supposed to be waiting until James hears back from albain so he can enable ReClock to take in bitstreamed audio, so although I've always thought the chance is slim, hope is not lost. It should not work right now like you've found out, so no big deal.

Yes, I understand that, but, I'm concerned about the fact that DTS seems to fall back to core. My TrueHD tracks have had AC3 stripped so they have no core to fall back on hence they garbled noise or lack of sound completely on those. This suggests that the driver i'm using for the 5870 doesn't support the new flag that he added in ffdshow. This could be a problem. Then again, I don't really know much about this aspect of things so I'm just going to wait until someone tells me to try again. This is not an area where I'm comfortable at all. My knowledge really sucks when it comes to ffdshow, etc.
post #205 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still learning what albain is trying to do, but I think that previous comment of mine was probably incorrect. I think now that he just needs PCM to go through untouched. ReClock takes that PCM stream and outputs with WASAPI exclusive, so ReClock doesn't need fixing for that purpose, it's still taking a PCM stream, just like it would with a DTS .wav file. They're trying to do the same as with those DTS WAVs. For those, you output bit-perfect 44.1 kHz 16-bit stereo PCM and in your receiver, it recognizes it and decodes DTS 5.1 48 kHz.

I still think the chances are low, mainly because of driver support. Another thing might be that simply those formats cannot be bistreamed piggybacking a PCM stream, or that if they do, that PCM stream needs to be set to a specific configuration (like DTS WAVs have to be set to 44.1 kHz 16-bit stereo). Did you try tweaking ReClock's WASAPI output to 16-bit? I don't know how ffdshow is sending the PCM, but output should match that. ReClock will tell you "(bit-exact)" when you're doing that.
post #206 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes that's exactly what they're trying to do.
post #207 of 7498 Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

The screenshot is real (Kidding = "Success!"). I just installed ffdshow_rev3089_20090930_dbt_beta7 and played the file TrueHD 7.1ch 96KHz.m2ts posted there (with ReClock). But this did not give TrueHD bitstreams to the receiver.
post #208 of 7498 Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:

The screenshot is real (Kidding = "Success!"). I just installed ffdshow_rev3089_20090930_dbt_beta7 and played the file TrueHD 7.1ch 96KHz.m2ts posted there (with ReClock). But this did not give TrueHD bitstreams to the receiver.

If you could provide some screen shots of your settings for Reclock, MPC-HC and ffdshow output settings that would help everyone replicate your results hopefully it would be appreciated by everyone here.
post #209 of 7498 Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgnzl View Post

If you could provide some screen shots of your settings for Reclock, MPC-HC and ffdshow output settings that would help everyone replicate your results hopefully it would be appreciated by everyone here.

I recommend you (not just you but everybody who reads the thread) to stay away from this stuff until somebody really succeeds (then I can write a quick guide to bitstreaming HD audio from MKV and M2TS files), in particular if you don't know well how to configure MCP-HC, ffdshow and ReClock. This simply does not work and you may waste your time. Read albain's latest post:

Quote:

Okay, I was not very clear on how to make this work : the goals of this beta are 1/ to make reclock believe that the stream is PCM to make it passthrough 2/add support for the new audio structure but reserved to new GPUs and windows 7 I believe

1/ The "Use new IECxxx structure" option is not compatible with reclock. So check it only if you have a radeon 5xxx and windows 7 and even though I am not sure that it will work (depending on the GPU driver). This option should be left unchecked

Otherwise Reclock should be used

Tests to be made :
1/ Enable TrueHD decoder and disable TrueHD passthrough. This will output LPCM 7.1 and with Reclock you should get full LPCM passthrough. This test should be successful

2/ Enable TrueHD decoder and enable TrueHD passthrough. This will output fake PCM to trick Reclock. If this failed, this means that the stream needs to be packetized as for SPDIF but on HDMI.

A general question : who is in charge of the HDMI "packetization", the decoder, the audio renderer or the audio driver ?
Wether the format is compressed or not this step is necessary to transport the stream over HDMI

So as I said earlier, I am not sure about the packetization of the stream, and this maybe the missing step to make bitstream work.

*EDIT* : I think that I found why it does not work. This is not about HDMI packetization but the IEC 61937 packetization.
This format is used for SPDIF and also for HD bitstream. However I don't have the tech specs.

Test 1: Passed
Test 2: Half passed. ReClock receives "HD audio on PCM", but somehow (that's the point!) AVR (Onkyo 606 in my case) does not get correct HD audio bitstreams.

If you are still interested, then please read that thread to see how to configure.
post #210 of 7498 Old 10-01-2009, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I agree with renethx. Bitstreaming (with ffdshow) does not currently work. We are trying to get it working but albain (the developer) does not have the equipment to test. He is pretty much coding blind. Only try these builds if:
  1. You are intimately familiar with MPC-HC, Graphedit and how DirectShow filters work.
  2. You don't mind messing up your decoder filter configurations.
Once it works, there will be in depth guides on how to do it. We just need to get it working first.

The regular ffdshow tryouts will decode TrueHD and DTS Core.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page