ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsboer View Post

Is this using DXVA for both DVD playback (in WMP12) and BD playback in PowerDVD?
If so I have to try 9.12 hotfix.

Yes for BDs, and VC-1 MKVs for which I use Win7 native decoder (HD). For AVC MKVs (SD) I use ffdshow (non DXVA of course, but I always had to fix levels before with the "Levels" tag, but not this time). I only tested MKVs and BDs as these give me black level inconsistencies right away.

Good point anyway, so I will try DVDs later (not at home now) and report.

EDIT: Oh, just saw you tested it yourself. Great, then. Q.E.D.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Hmmm, that's a good thought. If you find one let us know cause that would truly be helpful. I'd like to have both machines set up correctly for all sources. I still need to check DVD's on my 4850 with the 9.12 driver to see how it looks, but, I just checked on my 5870 and indeed, DVD's have the black levels set correctly at least in TMT3. I don't have time to test other solutions right now, but, I can get consistent black levels in 7MC, PDVD9 at least for BD, and TMT3 for both BD and DVD. NICE!

I haven't tried the 4670 yet, but with the 5750, I do see the setting "dynamicrange" which should be it. But as all the others, it doesn't seem to change when changing the CCC settings, so changing them in registry will probably not work. Maybe ATI changed the location of the settings in the registry (they've done it in the past), or have them hidden in some file.
post #2613 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

Yes video playback is as good as it was with 4670 and 9.6 (tested with TMT3). So for the video with 9.12 hotfix we are back on track.

Agreed completely. I'm very happy!
post #2614 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just tried 9.12 hotfix and the black levels are flawless again!! This is great ATI! From complete disaster in 9.12 for me, and other problems in 9.11 for other people, to complete perfection in 9.12 hotfix.

Now, that's one hotfix - funny thing this isn't even mentioned in the highlights for the hotfix.
They have only fixed one of the most annoying things with HTPCs in all time, and it's not worth mentioning... funny..

Wait, you weren't using the hotfix?! No wonder you had different results. LOL! Yea, the hotfix is what I've been using since it was released. I assumed you were using it, as well. That's why I was happy with the black levels. However, with that setting that Tulli pointed out, it's flawless in DVD playback for me, as well. So, this is good. I just wish that setting was available on the 4xxx cards. sigh. I can make it work ok on that machine without it but it'd be easier to have it.
post #2615 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

I haven't tried the 4670 yet, but with the 5750, I do see the setting "dynamicrange" which should be it. But as all the others, it doesn't seem to change when changing the CCC settings, so changing them in registry will probably not work. Maybe ATI changed the location of the settings in the registry (they've done it in the past), or have them hidden in some file.

That sucks. It'd be nice to have that setting on my other machine, as well. I can make it work without it but it'd be easier with that setting. Oh well. At least it's fixed on the 5xxx cards. FINALLY!
post #2616 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just tried 9.12 hotfix and the black levels are flawless again!! This is great ATI! From complete disaster in 9.12 for me, and other problems in 9.11 for other people, to complete perfection in 9.12 hotfix.

Now, that's one hotfix - funny thing this isn't even mentioned in the highlights for the hotfix.
They have only fixed one of the most annoying things with HTPCs in all time, and it's not worth mentioning... funny..

I go away for a few hours and it s all changed! I'll have to try the hot fix!

I fixed it another way and in case they break it again here it is - They have moved the location of the "USEBT601CSC" key to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Vide o\\{ATI_GUID}\\0000\\UMD\\DXVA". If you put "USEBT601CSC"="1" (string value) in there all is fine. Chaning in 0000 also changes 0001 and 0002. But maybe this will never be needed again.
post #2617 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post

i dont have this option with my 4770, win7 x64.
I must say that i use the hdmi converter with output settings set to RGB 4:4:4 full range

let me know what the 4670 turns out

So not there for me either for my 4670 and using a ATI DVI->HDMI adapter. Looks like one of those features that ATI makes available only for later generation cards .

post #2618 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Bitstreaming for dummies - PDVD9 edition

-Update to latest build
-Start playing a BD
-Right click and go to settings WHILE BD IS PLAYING
-Head to the audio page. Make sure HDMI is selected in the first drop down.
-In the second drop down, the third option (non-decoded HD audio) should be there. Select it. *
-Enjoy

* If this option is NOT there, curse the gods that made your receiver. You will need to find Tulli's edid override. It's in this thread. Install that, reboot, retry above steps.

I have my Radeon 5750 connected to my Marantz SR8001 via HDMI. This is a 1.2 HDMI receiver that has had firmware flashed so that it will recieve 7.1 ch LPCM (which is what use with my stand alone BR players). The receiver does not have the new HD codecs for audio such as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA so I just use my stand alone BR player to decocode to LPCM 7.1 and then transmit that to the SR8001.

My question is how do I do this with PDVD9? I followed the instructions above and DTS appears on my AVR, but since it does not support the newest HD audio codecs can only imagine that it is getting the downsampled DTS 5.1 rather than the HD audio codec off of BR disc. What I originally did was select the "PCM decoded by PDVD" selection hoping to get 7.1 LPCM over to the AVR...instead, I only get what appears to be 2 channel PCM. How do I get 7.1 LPCM to the SR8001?
post #2619 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedelite View Post

What I originally did was select the "PCM decoded by PDVD" selection hoping to get 7.1 LPCM over to the AVR...instead, I only get what appears to be 2 channel PCM. How do I get 7.1 LPCM to the SR8001?

Hmm, this is the right thing to do. Works fine for me. You probably need to set the Windows Audio device settings to 7.1 speakers.
post #2620 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, make sure you set Windows Audio to 7.1 speaker config and you should be good to go with that setting.
post #2621 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Yup, make sure you set Windows Audio to 7.1 speaker config and you should be good to go with that setting.

I did this. I just double checked again. I even did the test tone and it works on all 7.1 speakers. It is like PDVD9 is not supporting it. PDVD9 will support LPCM 7.1 output right? Is there a limitation on the sample rate? I have left the windows setting at 16 Bit 48000 Hz for now just to get it going. The funny thing is that I can see the receiver indicating 7.1 LPCM connection on its display, but I am only getting 2 channel.
post #2622 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Are you using an OEM copy of PDVD or did you purchase it? OEM copies will usually only support 2 channel. I'm not aware of any OEM copies of version 9 but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, which Blu-ray disk were you trying?
post #2623 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Did some more playing with it. I have Windows in 7.1 mode 24 bit 96000 Hz. Tried a few different blu-rays. For one, during the Paramount Pictures splash logo screen PDVD9 status showed LPCM 6 channel as output, but it was only sending 2.

For another disc it would play the trailers and also show LPCM 6 channel but only output the front 3...as soon as I toggled PDVD9 over to "non decoded..." then I would get the 5.1 sounds and the status in PDVD9 would tell me output of compressed data.

Something doesn't seem right. This is a brand new 5750 with 9.12 software driver installs and the hotfix for 9.12 applied. I recall that maybe for higher resolution output on LPCM (like 96000 Hz) or for true bitstream of the HD codecs that we might be awaiting some future patch ...but I was thinking wen I bought this card that would be able to do 7.1 LPCM at least up to 16 bit 48000 Hz as of today.
post #2624 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Are you using an OEM copy of PDVD or did you purchase it? OEM copies will usually only support 2 channel. I'm not aware of any OEM copies of version 9 but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, which Blu-ray disk were you trying?

New HTPC build, with brand new LG player / burner....comes with the Cyberlink Blu-Ray suite that had some old 7.x version of PDVD. I then did an "upgrade" purchase of the PDVD Media Suite 8 (that includes PDVD 9) and uninstalled the original OEM Blu-Ray suite and then installed the Media Suite 8. When I bought 8 has an upgrade they gave me a Serial Number that works. So, this should behave like a non OEM product. Now, maybe there is something in a registry or elsewhere causing me problem because I did install and OEM version 7.x copy at a previous point..

As for disks, I have tried Vaklyrie, Polar Express, GI Joe...all with same results
post #2625 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Wondering if I need to do something with my ATI audio driver? Like I said, I installed the most recent drivers (catalyst suite 9.12) but maybe there are more frequent or stand-alone audio drive updates?
post #2626 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 PM

Speaking of registry path's and changes.

Anyone here willing and able to update these ATI patches:
http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/

They have to be updated to:
1. Support the whole range of 4xx0 and 5xx0 cards.
2. Have (only) all the correct keys for 9.12 hotfix
(3. There might even be HD audio bitstreaming keys now)
post #2627 of 7498 Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK it was arfster (member here) who compiled all those. He is (was?) the ATI expert back in the 2000 and 3000 days. Might wanna send him a PM.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2121
post #2628 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I then did an "upgrade" purchase of the PDVD Media Suite 8

That's your issue right there:

Media Suite 8 Ultra comes with PowerDVD 9 BD Express which only supports 2 channel DTS-HD decoding: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/cy...are_en_US.html

I would return it and purchase the regular PDVD 9 Ultra.

PS. Don't shoot the messenger.
post #2629 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

That's your issue right there:

Media Suite 8 Ultra comes with PowerDVD 9 BD Express which only supports 2 channel DTS-HD decoding: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/cy...are_en_US.html

I would return it and purchase the regular PDVD 9 Ultra.

PS. Don't shoot the messenger.

Tha is SO freaking ridiculous! I spent a good bit of time comparing all the versions and trying to figure out if I should buy a sum of the parts or the suite and always assuming that this was just a bundled up media suite and they wouldn't downgrade the PowerDVD. If it was OEM build, OK....but this is ridiculous. Didn't really think that a BD Express would be different.

But, thanks for your help because you saved me hours of tearing my hair out.
post #2630 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tha is SO freaking ridiculous! I spent a good bit of time comparing all the versions and trying to figure out if I should buy a sum of the parts or the suite and always assuming that this was just a bundled up media suite and they wouldn't downgrade the PowerDVD. If it was OEM build, OK....but this is ridiculous. Didn't really think that a BD Express would be different.

But, thanks for your help because you saved me hours of tearing my hair out.

That would explain it, and yes, that does suck.
post #2631 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 AM

Well, I got the Ultra version (rather than BD Express) installed and I am showing LPCM 6 channel output on the PDVD9 status dashboard on a couple of discs that I am playing with (i.e. Valkyrie, GI Joe, etc.). But here is a problem. the 2 rear channels are coming into the AVR as Surround Backs when they should be coming in as Surround Sides when it is a 5.1 or LPCM 6 track. If I use the decoded stream (which is down to DTS 5.1) they do as expeced and come in as Surround Sides....but in the PCM mode they are coming into the amp as Surround Backs. This is wrong. Is there some configuration in PDVD somewhere? You aren't supposed to be getting signal in the Surround Back speakers for a 5.1 track.....and furthermore, it causes a problem because the reason that LPCM is preferred by me over uncompressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (not to mention the fact that my AVR will not decode the HD audio codecs) is that if you get a LPCM 6 input (5.1) as so many Blu-Ray discs are, you can then choose to matrix in the amp and get use of all the speakers... you can't do this if it comes in as bitstream (this has nothing to do with the HTPC...just a design in the AVR).

But back to my real question here, what up with signals that are supposed to be Surround Side coming in as Surround Back?
post #2632 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 AM

In addition to my last post, I have been unsuccessful thus far with my new Sapphire VaporX 5750 in being able to get component video out. I purchased one of those adapter from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
and my video card does not detect that a second display is connected. If I am not mistaken, this adapter presumes that the DVI port can operate as a DVI analog mode. I know this adapter has worked for many folks on certain ATI cards. I am clearly hoping that my card is compatible as it would be pretty short-sighted for ATI to not be able to suppport analog HD displays (i.e. component video) with these 5xxx series cards given so many people who are comfortable with 720p/1080i use component cables to feed TVs that have very long cable runs. I am upgrading from my rather old AIW 9800 Pro card as part of my new HTPC....and at least with that old card I could run HDMI/DVI digital out to my first display and component out to my second display and run multiple displays.
post #2633 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

whao!, just tried that new CCC option (Avivo Video->Advanced Color->Dynamic Range and set it to "Full (0-255)") in 9.12 hotfix and get consistent black levels all over (PDVD9, WinDVD10, TMT3, MC, WMP, iMedianHD) on my 5770, Win7 x64.

This is the first time in years that I finally see this getting fixed. Great job ATI!

This is on a Samsung LCD that only accepts video levels.

Will try it now on my 4670 ...

Newbie question: When using PDVD9 or TMT3, does the CCC "Use Application Settings" check box on the Avivo-> Pre-set tab need to be unchecked for the CCC "Dynamic Range" setting to be in effect? Or are these two settings completely independent of each other? Thanks.
post #2634 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I got the Ultra version (rather than BD Express) installed and I am showing LPCM 6 channel output on the PDVD9 status dashboard on a couple of discs that I am playing with (i.e. Valkyrie, GI Joe, etc.). But here is a problem. the 2 rear channels are coming into the AVR as Surround Backs when they should be coming in as Surround Sides when it is a 5.1 or LPCM 6 track. If I use the decoded stream (which is down to DTS 5.1) they do as expeced and come in as Surround Sides....but in the PCM mode they are coming into the amp as Surround Backs. This is wrong. Is there some configuration in PDVD somewhere? You aren't supposed to be getting signal in the Surround Back speakers for a 5.1 track.....and furthermore, it causes a problem because the reason that LPCM is preferred by me over uncompressed Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (not to mention the fact that my AVR will not decode the HD audio codecs) is that if you get a LPCM 6 input (5.1) as so many Blu-Ray discs are, you can then choose to matrix in the amp and get use of all the speakers... you can't do this if it comes in as bitstream (this has nothing to do with the HTPC...just a design in the AVR).

But back to my real question here, what up with signals that are supposed to be Surround Side coming in as Surround Back?

This is not the fault of PowerDVD. It basically happens with Vista/7, when the player sends 5.1 audio to the mixer which is configured to 7.1. So, it's a Windows bug, and I don't have any hopes that it will be fixed. There are two ways to get around this without manually changing to 5.1 every time. Bitstreaming, and WASAPI exclusive mode. You can't do the first, but the second one can be done with PDVD 9 and ReClock. So, install ReClock and enable WASAPI exclusive.
post #2635 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Anyone know a walkthrough/guide how to setup bitstreaming HD audio with different OS's and especially MediaPortal?
post #2636 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 AM

ive got a 5770 and when i use it in my htpc with tmt 3 platinum when watching blu-ray films the screen will flicker now and again but if i go back to my onboard 4200 its stable,ive tried the 9.10s upto the 9.12s all the same,any advice p.s ive got 2 5770s and both do the same,also all setting were the same on the 4200 as the 5770s are
post #2637 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore88 View Post

Newbie question: When using PDVD9 or TMT3, does the CCC "Use Application Settings" check box on the Avivo-> Pre-set tab need to be unchecked for the CCC "Dynamic Range" setting to be in effect? Or are these two settings completely independent of each other? Thanks.

I have it checked always. As a matter of fact I started testing the new option with CCC default settings and it worked right away for every application that I tried.

post #2638 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

This is not the fault of PowerDVD. It basically happens with Vista/7, when the player sends 5.1 audio to the mixer which is configured to 7.1. So, it's a Windows bug, and I don't have any hopes that it will be fixed. There are two ways to get around this without manually changing to 5.1 every time. Bitstreaming, and WASAPI exclusive mode. You can't do the first, but the second one can be done with PDVD 9 and ReClock. So, install ReClock and enable WASAPI exclusive.

Thanks Andy...
post #2639 of 7498 Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 AM

post #2640 of 7498 Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I did further test and find out that for bitstream using PDVD9 I don`t need Tulli`s override, default monitor driver & ATI 9.12 hotfix works well.

Realtek 2.39 behave the same as the ATI driver in regards bitstreaming stability but provide benefits over the ATI driver. Therefore it is my preferred driver.

The latest ffdshow is introducing frame drop in TrueHD I revertedback to the previous one.

Therefore my set up is now:

ATI 9.12 Hotfix
Realtek 2.39
Default win7 Monitor Driver
ffdshow beta 54
MPC HC 1.3.1426

With this setup I got stable everything stable through PDVD9 and stable trueHd bitstreaming through MPC.

Through MPC DTS MA do not sync. EDID override using Tulli drivers don`t work.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page