ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get a motherboard for my HTPC that has bitstreaming capability (built in). I'm not sure on the form factor yet, but was hoping for itx. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoldier83 View Post

I'm trying to get a motherboard for my HTPC that has bitstreaming capability (built in). I'm not sure on the form factor yet, but was hoping for itx. Any suggestions?

Bitstreaming for HD audio? There aren't any.

Your best bet is the intel core i3 with the new H55 or H57 boards coming out soon.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #2793 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM

So all these motherboards with built-in hdmi at the moment do not have HD audio capability?
post #2794 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Clarkdale is supposed to allow bitstreaming and I'm nearly positive ArcSoft will be announcing support for it at CES. I'm HOPEFUL they'll announce ATI support, too, but, that's mere speculation and probably wishful thinking.
post #2795 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the Pioneer set up. What a beast of a machine! I haven't even come close to learning everything on this machine, but, I got room correction set and the audio is superb. The 1080p upscaling of all my sources through HDMI is also nice. The Onkyo only did 1080i. So far, this one's a winner.

*HOWEVER*...that being said, I did lose DTS-HD MA bitstreaming with ffdshow. I will work with albain to see if we can figure out the problem and get it fixed. It flashes between PCM and DTS-HD MA, but, I get no audio. So, that's definitely an issue. It does work with PDVD9, so, there's some freaky issue going on. I'm still using my Onkyo override right now.
post #2796 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So all these motherboards with built-in hdmi at the moment do not have HD audio capability?

That cannot bitstream trueHD or DTS-MA HD..

If you are making rips you can just rip to lossless FLAC and get all of the audio without the need for additional hardware.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #2797 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got that one also.. XMAS Gift.. unfortunately dont have a ATI 5xxx card (yet).... I need a new TV now... Let me know how it goes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Alright, guys, after some debate and some teeth gnashing, I am in the process of unhooking the Onkyo 606 to be set in storage until I feel like dealing with it, and am replacing it with a brand new Pioneer ELITE vsx-21txh. Wish me luck. This looks like it's going to be an INSANE receiver.

post #2798 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Got the Pioneer set up. What a beast of a machine! I haven't even come close to learning everything on this machine, but, I got room correction set and the audio is superb. The 1080p upscaling of all my sources through HDMI is also nice. The Onkyo only did 1080i. So far, this one's a winner.

*HOWEVER*...that being said, I did lose DTS-HD MA bitstreaming with ffdshow. I will work with albain to see if we can figure out the problem and get it fixed. It flashes between PCM and DTS-HD MA, but, I get no audio. So, that's definitely an issue. It does work with PDVD9, so, there's some freaky issue going on. I'm still using my Onkyo override right now.

I'm getting a new 5770 probably tomorrow, I'll test it with my 01. You just bought a pretty cool receiver. Hopefully you didn't goo too much over budget
post #2799 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Just got that one also.. XMAS Gift.. unfortunately dont have a ATI 5xxx card (yet).... I need a new TV now... Let me know how it goes..

So far, it's working very well. With the exception of DTS-HD MA in ffdshow which I'll see if I can help albain figure out. This thing is AWESOME.
post #2800 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

I'm getting a new 5770 probably tomorrow, I'll test it with my 01. You just bought a pretty cool receiver. Hopefully you didn't goo too much over budget

No, I did VERY well, actually. Regular 700 bucks. Got it for 600 bucks. Had a 100 dollar rebate card I used. Had a 10 dollar coupon to use. All said and done, I financed 489 bucks for 18 months no interest. I can live with that. The DTS-HD MA thing is annoying but it works with PDVD9 so I'm not totally screwed.
post #2801 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

That cannot bitstream trueHD or DTS-MA HD..

If you are making rips you can just rip to lossless FLAC and get all of the audio without the need for additional hardware.

Whats the highest grade audio that most of the motherboards with hdmi-out can decode?
post #2802 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Thank goodness for the Xonar. I aint switchin until they get this thing right. Maybe never. This is really a botched implementation by ATI IMO.

perfect here, set HD bitstream in PowerDVD and thats it

was going to get a Xonar but I have enough cords around my HTPC/AVR/TV/Projector and ATI 5XXX already works in 3 apps vs. Xonar's 2 apps

ATI 5770
Onkyo 605
SonyTV
Panasonic AX200E

no EDID problems here

Bitstream works with any driver combo for me, I'm happy

plus WASAPI etc
post #2803 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whats the highest grade audio that most of the motherboards with hdmi-out can decode?

It's not about what can be decoded on these systems. You can decode anything.
It's about what can be bitstreamed. They can bitstream dolby digital and DTS.

But they can also output 8 channel uncompressed LPCM. Which means ripping the HD audio to lossless FLAC will give you the same audio.

post #2804 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Really? How well does it work without Tulli's patch? IMO its not working AT ALL until ATI realeases the patches that fix it for most AVR's and owners do not have to go to a forum on the internet and get a patch from a poster at AVS. Thats ludicrous IMO. AS for the Xonar there is NOTHING i need that it does not do and it does it with a better player, TMT3

Well without Tulli's patch it works perfect for many of us too. The Xonar launch if you remember was pretty much a disaster (24p?), and it lasted months, and people still have to get around some design flaws. The 5000 series have managed to work near-perfect in a very short time span in comparison.
post #2805 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:

but you can also follow renethx's instructions above or just run the 9.12 hotfix package installer again (will let you select the HDMI driver, just do a "custom" or "advanced" install, whatever it's called).

As it turns out, this was NOT occurring and this was my problem. Every time I tried to reinstall the ATI drivers (whether it was 9.12 or 9.12 hotfix) I would not get the option to install the HDMI audio drive as well. It was like the system was not detecting that a HDMI hardware port existed. I was getting near to the point where I thought I might need to open the box and re-seat the video card when I decided to uninstall a second set of Realtek HD audio drivers that I had installed from the Gigabyte MoBo site. I thought it was innocuous at the time to install these as I figured they were only for a potential future need to support audio off of the mainboard itself and that they could co-exist. However, it was not until after this Realtek HD Audio Drier 5.10.0.5973 was removed that I was able to then be provided with the option to install the HDMI driver from ATI upon a re-install from ATI. During my initial software build I must have installed the Realtek after installing the ATI in an effort to be thorough on driver updating, thus not realizing that I could not install the ATI if the Realtek HD Audio driver had already been installed...even if only to support the motherboard audio ports.
post #2806 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You can still install the driver manually via device manager, but yeah I can see how that was a problem. The installer is just checking if you already have a suitable HDMI driver installed, it probably got confused. I'd recommend to install the Realtek 2.39 driver though (the ATI HDMI device standalone one on their site, the one in red fonts) instead of the one that comes with CCC. It will give you continuous audio in Windows plus works better with ReClock and WASAPI exclusive.

The other Realtek driver, the one for the analog/SPDIF device for your motherboard, probably can be installed safely after you're done with the HDMI device. I think the HDMI device even shows up on the Realtek control panel, which can be convenient.
post #2807 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 PM

[quote=Andy o;17812441]probably can be installed safely after you're done with the HDMI device.[quote]

What do you mean by this?
post #2808 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still using my Onkyo override right now.

I tried the Pioneer override that Tulli posted last (couple of pages back I think) on my 4670 and I can confirm WIREBALLZ's assertion above that it only gave stereo and 5.1. For whatever that's worth.

I hadn't thought much about this before, but the Pioneer 01 with these ATI cards (4000 and 5000) normally gives 4 options: stereo, quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1. Are others getting the quad option?
post #2809 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedelite View Post

Quote:

probably can be installed safely after you're done with the HDMI device.

What do you mean by this?

You said you uninstalled your Realtek driver. The Realtek analog device in your motherboard probably needs it, so once you have HDMI set up, you can probably install the Realtek analog driver again.
post #2810 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

As it turns out, this was NOT occurring and this was my problem. Every time I tried to reinstall the ATI drivers (whether it was 9.12 or 9.12 hotfix) I would not get the option to install the HDMI audio drive as well. It was like the system was not detecting that a HDMI hardware port existed.

Have you ever checked Device Manager? If you can't see any HDMI audio device, then there is no chance that you are able to install a HDMI driver, ATI or Realtek. The card may be defective.
post #2811 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the ATI installer doesn't provide the option when it sees there's already an HDMI driver installed. I'm almost sure it's happened to me. Can't remember 100% cause I've never used the ATI driver beyond testing.
post #2812 of 7498 Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That could be... Installing a driver from Device Manager is the quickest way.
post #2813 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:

I think the ATI installer doesn't provide the option when it sees there's already an HDMI driver installed. I'm almost sure it's happened to me. Can't remember 100% cause I've never used the ATI driver beyond testing.

This is exactly the issue
post #2814 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For me the issue is non-issue. Install the driver from Device Manager and you are done. What's so difficult?
post #2815 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 AM

Ok guys, here is a real brain teaser. Please help me with what is going on here. I have PDVD9 set up, drivers set up...seems like all is configured correctly, but is it?

I have purchased and ripped the a few Blu-Ray's recently. For this discussion we will focus on Transformers 2 and X-Men Origins. I have run both the ripped versions (via AnyDVD to get first rip to ISO, then via DVDFab to only keep the main video and audio tracks) and the disc versions. The ripped version obviously coming through the HTPC with 5750 and the aforementioned drivers through PDVD9 and the disc version is over my Panny DMP-BD35. I wanted to do a side by side for audio testing and this is what I got.

My AVR is a Marantz SR8001 with firmware upgraded. It receives LPCM 8 channel but can NOT receive bitstream of DTS HD MA or TrueHD (does not support the newest codecs). I am actually indifferent on this as I prefer to run LPCM from the player to the AVR (i.e. let the player decode but keep in digital domain via PCM) as this gives me more flexibility on using different post processing modes in the AVR itself (i.e. with this AVR I can use THX Select 2 mode to matrix a HD 5.1 PCM to use all 7 speakers....whereas with some AVRs I tested if you bitstreamed a 5.1 HD audio track the AVR would not allow you to matrix it out....I know it is likely equipment dependent.

Ok, anyway, heretofore I have always used my stand-alone player. For 7.1 movie tracks I run it in Auto Surround mode and for 5.1 HD tracks that come across as LPCM 5.1 I often choose to matrix via THX Select 2 so I can get use of all speakers.

Back to my test. First, both discs state on their covers that they are DTS-HD MA 5.1. Yet when I played both in the Panny BR player they registered on the AVR input screen as 7.1 ....making me think I was really getting LPCM 8 channel from the Panny vs. what I expected as LPCM 6 given the disc covers stated 5.1. In Auto Surround mode (or Source Direct, etc.) I do get audio through all my speakers (i.e. with no need to matrix)

Now, when I played the rips via PDVD9 I can only get 5.1 audio across (i.e. LPCM 6). That status screen on the PDVD9 player shows output of LPCM 6 rather than LPCM 8 (by the way, will PDVD9 support up to 7.1 on the LPCM? My AVR will register on its input status screen whatever I have the Audio Device Manager/Configurator set up for in Windows for the HDMI output device. If I choose 7.1 in windows than the AVR status screen would lead you to believe I am getting 7.1 across. If I choose 5.1 in windows then the AVR will not show any signal coming into it for the Surround Backs and it just looks like 5.1 is happening. But, from an actual output of what is coming across (not what the status window shows), if I have it set up as 7.1 then I only get 5.1 across. That is to say that it appears on the disc over the Panny I am getting more than what they promote on the disc cover, but the same image ripped I am only getting 5.1. Of course the problem is that with the 5.1 on the ripped images, the only way to get to 7.1 is to matrix it out. This can be done, but I thought that this SHOULD be consistent between the two set-ups. Because of some other work around that Windows supposedly requires, as it is I need to move the windows configuration setting to 5.1 so that I can also force the 2 rear channel paths through the sides rather than the backs.
post #2816 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

For me the issue is non-issue. Install the driver from Device Manager and you are done. What's so difficult?

Nothing now...I am all set now that I understand what is going on. I was just trying to share my experience in case others were not seeing the audio driver as an "installable" option when trying to load via an ATI suite.
post #2817 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am actually indifferent on this as I prefer to run LPCM from the player to the AVR (i.e. let the player decode but keep in digital domain via PCM) as this gives me more flexibility on using different post processing modes in the AVR itself (i.e. with this AVR I can use THX Select 2 mode to matrix a HD 5.1 PCM to use all 7 speakers....whereas with some AVRs I tested if you bitstreamed a 5.1 HD audio track the AVR would not allow you to matrix it out....I know it is likely equipment dependent.

Are you sure about this? Which receivers did you test that didn't matrix bitstreamed audio? That seems like a very dumb issue. And furthermore, at least Dolby (and DTS too to some extent) has its technologies made very compatible with each other. AFAIK there are metadata markers for the receiver automatically applying for instance, DPLII(x) to Dolby formats being bitstreamed, and you can do it manually as well, I've never seen a piece of audio equipment that doesn't offer this.

As for the rest of the post, Windows will send out whatever you set the HDMI device to in the sound options, unless you use WASAPI exclusive mode. If you're not using exclusive mode, it doesn't matter what the source is in, or what the player outputs. Everything will be converted to whatever you set Windows to output.
post #2818 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I tried the Pioneer override that Tulli posted last (couple of pages back I think) on my 4670 and I can confirm WIREBALLZ's assertion above that it only gave stereo and 5.1. For whatever that's worth.

I hadn't thought much about this before, but the Pioneer 01 with these ATI cards (4000 and 5000) normally gives 4 options: stereo, quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1. Are others getting the quad option?

Quad is there using 605.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #2819 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM

Just a quick question if people are having success with a Pioneer AVR? A friend has a SCLX72 or 82 and i've recomended he get the 5750 card but was seeing if this would require Tulli's hack or will 9.12 fix the problem with pdvd9?

cheers
post #2820 of 7498 Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well without Tulli's patch it works perfect for many of us too.

Seems to me its quite a long list of AVR's that do not work.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page