ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming! - Page 97 - AVS Forum
First ... 95  96  97 98  99  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > ATI Radeon HD 5800, 5700 and 5600 Series Thread: Supporting HD Audio Bitstreaming!
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 05:49 PM 12-31-2009
albain posted about his issues today, too, so, it seems to be a problem for some people. Andy, have you tried DTS-HD MA with ffdshow and your Pio? It no workie for me.

Andy o's Avatar Andy o 06:01 PM 12-31-2009
Nope doesn't work just like before with my ex-5750. I've stumbled upon the same unrelated troubles with the 5770 though but no one else seems to be having these. I'm going to be testing another motherboard later. Still good that I returned the 5750, this 5770 will ultimately be only $20 more expensive and it has a single-slot bracket.

What I'm getting right now with the Realtek 2.39 driver is if I set it at 7.1 24/96 eventually my audio gets mangled into noise. With 5.1 24/96, the audio switches speakers. It's crazy. Same thing happens with the ATI driver in 9.12 hotfix. It hasn't happened in exclusive mode but I haven't tested it thoroughly, first the simplest configurations (Windows mixer in the chain). Obligatory Windows 7 reinstall didn't fix anything.
winb83's Avatar winb83 09:01 PM 12-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Has anyone figured out why the audio is so poor (pops and clicks) when MKVs are being played through the 5850?

I built this HTPC partly for watching movies and not having to stream through my PS3, but it's worthless if the audio is so messy.

If that's all you're getting then you're lucky. I'd be satisfied at this point if it was just that. I'm still suffering from audio dropouts every few seconds. I was forced to abandon having audio through HDMI because of it and use analog audio instead.

Wasn't just for MKV here either divx and xvid suffered from them as well.
Ryguy's Avatar Ryguy 01:14 AM 01-01-2010
i just installed my HD5870 two nights ago (Win7 64-bit) and i'm getting static/audio drop-outs too when running through HDMI

so far i can get it to consistently happen when i run "non-dxva" mkv files through MPC-HC. also duplicated it when mounting a ripped dvd movie and playing that through MPC-HC

games and dxva-compliant mkvs so far appear to be fine. one thing i did notice.. when i played that mounted dvd through MPC-HC, it had audio problems but when i played through regular windows media player, everything seemed fine

should we create a new thread about this since it seems a lot of people are getting this?
Andy o's Avatar Andy o 02:59 AM 01-01-2010
If it's only happening with mkv audio this points to filters. Which filters (splitter, decoder, renderer) are you guys using, and which audio and video formats are you playing?

Also (but less likely to be relevant), are you using WASAPI exclusive mode (if you don't know, you probably aren't). What have you set Windows' output to (e.g. 5.1, 24-bit 96 kHz)?

For instance, the problem I'm having that I described above is different cause it happens with all audio that goes through the Windows mixer, including MPC-HC, foobar2000 and even Windows chimes and clicks. I have been able to get around it by setting the output to 24-bit 48 kHz, but when I get the time I'll be trying another motherboard. Note that no one else seems to be having similar trouble, this is different from what you guys are experiencing.
Megalith's Avatar Megalith 05:06 AM 01-01-2010
This is interesting---things seem to have gotten much, much better after I went from the 64-bit version of MPC-HT to the 32-bit version. Apparently, the drivers are more stable in that edition.

I (finally) also figured out how to bitstream to my receiver, and that seems to have stopped the clicks and pops, but now I notice weird, subtle stutters in the audio stream.

By far the worst problem is how the card seems to be picking up some kind of interference from the PC in the rear channels in games. Depending on the game, I will get buzzing, pops, or a very annoying whine from my rear speakers. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my rears are powered by an external amp running a very high gain (ground loop issue, probably), but it's weird because the noise will go away completely if I do certain things, like pause the game or bring up a menu. The HDMI audio stream isn't interrupted when I do such things, but the interference oddly goes away.
indieke2's Avatar indieke2 08:15 AM 01-01-2010
My card is working 100 % now. I hooked the card via HDMI to the receiver, but did not put out from the receiver to a device. As the card has 3 outputs, this doesn't bother me.

Everything perfect, thanks to the Tully overide, on LPC and Powerdvd 9.
WIREBALLZ's Avatar WIREBALLZ 10:34 AM 01-01-2010
Xonar slim with gt220 nvidia and MPC-HC DTS-HD MA flashes to PCM and no audio. Just like my ATI 5750 so i don't think it is ATI problem, Xonar slim/gt220 with Pioneer vsx-1019ah-k has the same results as 5750. Truehd works good on both. Has to be something with MPC-hc or FFshowtryout ? and pioneer

FYI
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 10:41 AM 01-01-2010
I'm seeing the same thing on my Elite, so, yea, it's a Pio/ffdshow issue. Great. Just great.
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 12:04 PM 01-01-2010
@tulli

I'm going to capture some new EDID info for my Pio. I'll post it here shortly. Do you think you can make me a new driver? I want to see if it helps with the DTS-HD MA issue we're having with ffdshow. I'm seriously doubting it, but, it's worth a shot. It's nice to note, however, that even without an override, I've had _0_ handshaking issues with the Pio since I got it. Totally sweet receiver!

@andy, if you're around, where can I check for firmware updates for the Pio? I want to see if there's anything available for my vsx-21txh elite.

EDIT: I've added the EDID zip file for my Pio and Sony with both bin and inf files captured on my laptop. I don't think it's right though. At all.

EDID.zip 2.306640625k . file
Tulli's Avatar Tulli 01:19 PM 01-01-2010
Sure, Samuri. Not at home now, will post the modded driver tomorrow.
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 01:20 PM 01-01-2010
Thanks. I doubt it'll make any difference at all. I'm not even sure it was captured right, so, we'll see.
Andy o's Avatar Andy o 01:32 PM 01-01-2010
I was told at the Pioneer threads that you have to call up Pioneer support, but I doubt the 21 has updates, it was for the 01 and some other older models.
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 01:40 PM 01-01-2010
Delightful. I'd love to know what's causing the DTS-HD MA issue. It works fine with WinDVD2010 and PDVD9, but, with ffdshow it no workie. I may try something first and see if it helps. I still have my driver for the 606 and I know that worked flawlessly with ffdshow. In fact, the only change I made at all was swapping out the receivers, and now it doesn't work. sigh.

update: Nope, no change using the 606 override. So, this is likely to be either an ATI driver bug (not overly likely given that windvd2010 and pdvd9 work), an ffdshow bug (again, not overly likely since it works with other receivers), or a Pio problem. I'm leaning toward a Pio issue on this. Oh happy day.
Andy o's Avatar Andy o 02:08 PM 01-01-2010
The PS3 issue was unresolved though, we never knew which was it. Both firmware updates for PS3 and Pio allegedly fixed it independently of each other.

Isn't HDMI the best standard EVER? And all because they thought it would be too much work for us to connect ONE more cable (oh no!).
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 02:10 PM 01-01-2010
I'm seriously impressed with it. Oh wait, no, I was thinking of something else. Yea, what a sucky situation. With the 606 everything just simply worked, until, you know, the receiver no longer did. The Pio is far superior in every way (man the DAC on this thing is night and day!!) but no DTS-HD MA in ffdshow. Kinda frustrating.
kjoy064's Avatar kjoy064 04:23 PM 01-01-2010
@ Sam...

I've now finally got hold of my AE4000 projector and have been playing with that, i tried the 9.12 drivers and pdvd9 worked but dropouts on windvd so now have the 2.39 and works a treat. So from here can you let me know the latest fddshow version for win7 32 and any newer mpc-hc.

also on added note where could i find some examples of truehd & dts ma mkv's to download.

cheers
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 04:36 PM 01-01-2010
Read through this extremely lengthy thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1358879

There's another ffdshow thread over on doom9 that had some mkv's posted, but, I have no direct links to them. You'll have to search over there to see if you can still find them. Otherwise just take an m2ts and convert it with mkvmerge.
Megalith's Avatar Megalith 05:52 PM 01-01-2010
Does anyone know what the relation is with these Realtek HD audio drivers that keeps coming up alongside the ATI HDMI audio driver stuff?

Do the ATI drivers work in tandem with the Realtek ones? I see that the latest Realtek drivers were released on the 30th of December, but I don't know if I actually need them (I'm going to imagine I don't, since Windows Update probably would have picked it up).
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 05:57 PM 01-01-2010
Once again, please do NOT confuse the Realtek HD audio driver with the Realtek HDMI driver. They are different. The last update for the HDMI driver was on 12/15. Realtek makes the chipset that ATI uses. I have no idea if ATI writes their own driver or uses the realtek code as a base or what. I do know that the Realtek HDMI driver is more stable for a lot of us. My advice is to install the 9.12 hotfix, and then install the 2.39 Realtek HDMI driver.

Wait, I reread what you're asking. I get it now. You're wanting to know if the HD audio driver is also needed. No, it's not, and should not be installed if you're using the ATI onboard audio.
marsboer's Avatar marsboer 06:40 PM 01-01-2010
I have some difficulties understanding what people are struggling with here.

I just did this in random sequence:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Installed XFX HD5750
Installed 9.12 hotfix
Installed AnyDVD HD
Installed PowerDVD 9 with latest patch
Configured everything correct in drivers and PowerDVD
Connected my HTPC to Yamaha RX-V3900

= Everything working in all applications. No problems with bitstreaming, no problems with unwanted noise or dropouts, even gaming works perfectly.

I am using DXVA everywhere, are you?
I suspect the ones suffering from skipping sound while not using DXVA is just suffering from an underpowered HTPC.

Then there is the ffdshow thing:
Is there a reason why using ffdshow to bitstream is a must when everything works in both PowerDVD and WindDVD? Or is it just to have a free option which is usable with other applications?

Then the last part:
Why is NOT using DXVA even an alternative that someone want to do? When everything is configured correctly in the driver (need to turn off denoising and dynamic contrast for example) and in the application ATI AVIVO HD is actually completely flawless compared to even the best stand alone blu-ray player (I have Pioneer BDP-51FD myself and the HTPC is exactly as good with only a clean DXVA-setup on my D65 calibrated setup, both for DVDs in WMP12 and BD in PowerDVD)

I'm just asking these question because I feel stupid for having lost some important things here, with all these issues people are having in this thread where I haven't seen a single one of them myself, or even the need to use ffdshow, realtek drivers or this EDID thing, and my setup is proven flawless both audio and picture quality wise compared to stand alone players???
So what more is there to ask for? Have I missed something?
Davinleeds's Avatar Davinleeds 06:44 PM 01-01-2010
Well, the thread is about the 5XXX and it's options.
Rathbone's Avatar Rathbone 07:12 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsboer View Post

Is there a reason why using ffdshow to bitstream is a must when everything works in both PowerDVD and WindDVD? Or is it just to have a free option which is usable with other applications?

Basically yes.

When you're playing your discs from iso or disc you don't need bitstream in ffdshow. You need it when you want bitstream with m2ts or mkv. And it's always good to have more alternatives and especially when it's a free one.
WIREBALLZ's Avatar WIREBALLZ 08:55 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Delightful. I'd love to know what's causing the DTS-HD MA issue. It works fine with WinDVD2010 and PDVD9, but, with ffdshow it no workie. I may try something first and see if it helps. I still have my driver for the 606 and I know that worked flawlessly with ffdshow. In fact, the only change I made at all was swapping out the receivers, and now it doesn't work. sigh.

update: Nope, no change using the 606 override. So, this is likely to be either an ATI driver bug (not overly likely given that windvd2010 and pdvd9 work), an ffdshow bug (again, not overly likely since it works with other receivers), or a Pio problem. I'm leaning toward a Pio issue on this. Oh happy day.

I think I know found what the problem is on DTS-HD MA / PCM no audio MPC-HC when playing a DTS-HD MA file that i know for a fact is a fs:48000hz and ffshow on toolbar near clock shows fs:96000hz and pioneer shows fs:48-192000hz can't lock and is random crazy kinda like it is out of sync. Just don't know how to fix it, but i think on onkyo's it just works and pioneers need to be perfect. I could be wrong but it is worth looking at can't post at Doom9 yet but will when my 5 day guest is lifted Can't wait to get this fixed.
Ryguy's Avatar Ryguy 09:38 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

I suspect the ones suffering from skipping sound while not using DXVA is just suffering from an underpowered HTPC.

not every movie/video is DXVA compliant (believe me if i could magically make all my movies use DXVA i would). software-decoding is the only option
SamuriHL's Avatar SamuriHL 10:09 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIREBALLZ View Post

I think I know found what the problem is on DTS-HD MA / PCM no audio MPC-HC when playing a DTS-HD MA file that i know for a fact is a fs:48000hz and ffshow on toolbar near clock shows fs:96000hz and pioneer shows fs:48-192000hz can't lock and is random crazy kinda like it is out of sync. Just don't know how to fix it, but i think on onkyo's it just works and pioneers need to be perfect. I could be wrong but it is worth looking at can't post at Doom9 yet but will when my 5 day guest is lifted Can't wait to get this fixed.

Interesting. I'll see if I can look at that tomorrow.
Megalith's Avatar Megalith 11:16 PM 01-01-2010
Well, I downloaded the Realtek HDMI drivers and the popping/clicking did not go away. Out of curiosity I tried updating these drivers through Windows and it rolled me back to the ATI HDMI drivers.

I have no idea why the popping/clicking is only happening with movies. I am using MPC HT with all internal filters disable and am using ffdshow for everything.
Andy o's Avatar Andy o 11:54 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:

Why is NOT using DXVA even an alternative that someone want to do?

Most post-processing options have to be used with DXVA disabled, at least for now. For instance, I like to use RGB conversion in ffdshow in high-quality (AFAIK it's 10-bit) plus dithering. With some extreme tests, it gives better gradients, but I'll agree that it's unlikely to be noticeable with regular content. The best renderer that I've tried which does an even higher bit-depth RGB conversion (16-bit) is madVR, and that also has to disable DXVA.
Andy o's Avatar Andy o 11:58 PM 01-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Well, I downloaded the Realtek HDMI drivers and the popping/clicking did not go away. Out of curiosity I tried updating these drivers through Windows and it rolled me back to the ATI HDMI drivers.

I have no idea why the popping/clicking is only happening with movies. I am using MPC HT with all internal filters disable and am using ffdshow for everything.

Try different filters, and even different players, at least for testing. It's only happening with movies, so what are you using to play music? Also MPC-HC?
balky's Avatar balky 03:25 AM 01-02-2010
Quote:

I have some difficulties understanding what people are struggling with here.

I just did this in random sequence:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Installed XFX HD5750
Installed 9.12 hotfix
Installed AnyDVD HD
Installed PowerDVD 9 with latest patch
Configured everything correct in drivers and PowerDVD
Connected my HTPC to Yamaha RX-V3900

= Everything working in all applications. No problems with bitstreaming, no problems with unwanted noise or dropouts, even gaming works perfectly.

Then the last part:
Why is NOT using DXVA even an alternative that someone want to do? When everything is configured correctly in the driver (need to turn off denoising and dynamic contrast for example) and in the application ATI AVIVO HD is actually completely flawless compared to even the best stand alone blu-ray player (I have Pioneer BDP-51FD myself and the HTPC is exactly as good with only a clean DXVA-setup on my D65 calibrated setup, both for DVDs in WMP12 and BD in PowerDVD)

I'm just asking these question because I feel stupid for having lost some important things here, with all these issues people are having in this thread where I haven't seen a single one of them myself, or even the need to use ffdshow, realtek drivers or this EDID thing, and my setup is proven flawless both audio and picture quality wise compared to stand alone players???
So what more is there to ask for? Have I missed something?

Just my type of thinking as well...
If the standard stuff works as designed why bother spending so much time on free alternatives that keep popping up with gotchas on a daily basis...
I don't think you're missing anything... believe me...
Just enjoy your setup till the next round of new technology requires you to make a change or upgrade.
First ... 95  96  97 98  99  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop