Which PVR/DVR/other software will allow for scheduled recording of streaming video? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a solution for scheduled recording of streaming internet video and this is the best place I could find to ask. I did some considerable searching through existing threads and didn't find anything that was a good fit for my situation. Let me explain.

I am probably not your typical HTPC user. I don't own an HDTV and actually watch very little television live, recorded or otherwise. I currently subscribe to the Comcast standard digital cable package and for the most part it is a waste of my money. To date, the only thing that has kept me from canceling or moving to bare minimum basic cable is access to cable news and sports channels. I have recently discovered that a lot of what I subscribe to cable for is now available via internet streaming video (tikilive.com, blinkotv.com, etc.). I don't care much about the quality. However, the one thing that is important is the ability to record shows that air when I am unable to watch them.

So my question is this, do any of the mainstream DVR/PVR packages include capability to schedule recording of streaming video? If not, are there other applications out there that do? If I can find a workable solution, I will gladly cancel my cable subscription.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I am asking in the wrong place, I apologize and would appreciate suggestions on the appropriate forum for asking.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
You might want to take a look at this:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40637

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

there is software out there that will allow you to download the steam, but i cant find the link.

besides, whats the point of copying the the stream? isn't that the perk of online steaming is that its already "on-demand"?

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #4 of 4 Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

The SageTV option looks interesting but appears to still be in development. Also, it is a lot of overhead PVR functionality that I won't need if I don't have traditional cable/satellite/broadcast TV service. Sage does allow for a fully functioning trial, so I may give it a shot.

I have found some packages that will allow you to capture on-demand fixed length streaming video (YouTube, etc.). TubeMaster++ seems to be one of the better options. There are also others that are Add-Ons for Firefox.

However, not all streams are on-demand. The ones I am interested in are "live" continuous streams of cable news channels. The available software packages don't seem to know what to do with these live internet broadcasts because they do not have a fixed length or endpoint. They more or less lock up because the stream is never "finished" downloading.

A combination of TubeMaster and a scheduling utility almost gets it done because TubeMaster will pick up a feed and start capturing as soon as you lock onto it in a browser. So, I could leave TubeMaster running in the background and use a scheduler to launch the browser at the time I want to start recording. The problem is stopping it. As I said above, TubeMaster more or less locks up on a continuous feed because it is looking for an endpoint.

Like a lot of video utilities, TubeMaster uses FFMPEG for most of its functionality. I had a look at the FFMPEG options and it appears that you can set FFMPEG to capture for a fixed lenghth of time. So it looks like worst case I would have a command line option. Perhaps I could even write a frontend for FFMPEG to do exactly what I want.

I would like to avoid the effort however is someone has already done it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Brian
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page