Confused about color spaces - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I'm using my computer as a HTPC. This is how the signal comes to my HDTV.
Windows 7 Media Player Classic Homecinema (configured at 16-235) ->
ATI HD4870 (configured at 16-235) via HDMI ->
Denon AVR-1909 (configured at 16-235) via HDMI ->
Finlux HDTV (which I assume is configured at 16-235)

I'm not sure if this is correct. It seems like the Black in movies is not the same black as the bars around it. I mean, at some point movies use the blackest black (16)? The black bars around created by MPC-HomeCinema, are blacker than the movie, always.

Should all of them be configured at 16-235, or maybe just one of them? I'm not sure how to make sense out of all this. I read this following post about it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5386113
And downloaded the THX calibration JPEG, and ran it in MPC-HC. And when I view it, 16 - which I believe should be blackest black, is grey. Which should mean that either I misunderstood his post, which is very possible, or something isn't configured right?

If you have any good links about it, please post them, I'm right now running through the forum looking for a good way to calibrate it. I believe I might have missed some post, but I'm working on it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The ATI is compressing 0-255 into 16-235, so if you application is ouputting 16-235 then the ATI card is elevating the levels again.

If that is your intended usage scenario, oen up the ATI card to output full range 0-255, and then when the app outputs 16 the video card will also output 16 and live will be good.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

So, I would get the same results by setting MPC-HC to 0-255, and ATI to 16-235? This way my desktop won't look to bright/dark.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
good question, would like to see the final version of this.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
Both options assume a tv/projector with 16-235 color space.

It would seem that RGB Full should be set if you are using HDMI because the interface itself will narrow the color range down to 16-235 by specification. So, setting RGB limited may result in obtaining a 32-219 color space due to the double colapse

However, if you are using VGA or DVI than you should use RGB limited because the dvi/vga spec is 0-255 and since the interface does not clip ranges you would want to make sure you send 16-235.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda View Post

Both options assume a tv/projector with 16-235 color space.

It would seem that RGB Full should be set if you are using HDMI because the interface itself will narrow the color range down to 16-235 by specification.

Not true. For RGB the HDMI specification specifically permits the use of PC levels:
Quote:

Black and white levels for video components shall be either Full Range or Limited Range. YCBCR components shall always be Limited Range while RGB components may be either Full Range or Limited Range."

I would recommend setting the video card and display to studio levels simply to stay consistent with other CE devices that are used with the display. Of course double conversion by player software and video card should be avoided. If no shaders are activated, MPC-HC should leave the video levels alone.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page