Want internal IR receiver - but don't want to lose a USB port - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been working this out in my head for a couple of days and feel like I'm missing something that can make this easy - maybe you guys will have some ideas I'm not thinking of. A few specs of what I'm working with:
MS Universal Media Remote which came with my 360 HD-DVD add-on.
InWin Case
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
(I will be using GB-PVR most likely for the media center)

I have been told that the best receiver to use for this remote would be Tira2. It seemed to me that I would need the OEM version for using inside the case, but a few questions keep coming up as I have never bought a receiver for a computer and the webpage it's sold through is sort of confusing to me:

The picture of the OEM version looks like it's basically just the hardware I need, but I don't really see how I use it within the case. Are the four parts right on the top (long range rx, short range rx, and tx, tx in the spec sheet) the parts that receive the signal? And so I would need to basically put that right behind the 3.5 bay and then cover it myself?

Also, it has a usb connector which looks like I can connect straight to my motherboard, but won't I then lose one of my front USB ports? I like my case for having 4 ports up front and don't want to lose one of those. If it's not connecting straight to me motherboard, but rather can just feed out to the back and connect to one of the back ports, that's fine in that I don't need those that much - but how does the wire get back there? Just leave a panel off of the back?

I hope these aren't obvious things but I can't find a good tutorial or guide on this and would rather not drop $50 to find out this isn't going to suit my needs. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-30-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vkit View Post

Also, it has a usb connector which looks like I can connect straight to my motherboard, but won't I then lose one of my front USB ports? I like my case for having 4 ports up front and don't want to lose one of those. If it's not connecting straight to me motherboard, but rather can just feed out to the back and connect to one of the back ports, that's fine in that I don't need those that much - but how does the wire get back there? Just leave a panel off of the back?

Pin connectors on Boards are called 'Headers'. In case of USB headers, each 8/9 pin connector supports 2 USB ports. So you would require only 2 USB headers for 4 USB ports. And most Gigabyte MBs come with 4 headers; this one does too. You will still have 2 headers left to internally connect any other USB devices.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Pin connectors on Boards are called 'Headers'. In case of USB headers, each 8/9 pin connector supports 2 USB ports. So you would require only 2 USB headers for 4 USB ports. And most Gigabyte MBs come with 4 headers; this one does too. You will still have 2 headers left to internally connect any other USB devices.

Oh!, that's good to hear. I didn't know that. Thanks a lot for clearing this up!

I went to look an yes, you're absolutely right. Never really thought about it; always just hooked them up and was on my way.

As far as the Tira itself, am I right in my assumptions of how to install it? And cover it?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page