Which cheap Media Center remote to buy from Newegg? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Was on Newegg today looking for a basic media center remote to buy in the $20-$30 range. There was a new remote from Rosewill on sale for $25, the same price as the other remote I was looking at, the Anyware GP-IR01BK. There is also the Adesso ARC-1100. Ahhh... I'm wracking my brain trying to pick one, they all look like they would work decently. The Adesso looks like it has some kind of mouse pad option that might be semi useful in closing windows and such. It's also the cheapest. Any suggestions? Looking to buy tonight...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880101002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880121003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823166095

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I vote for the Anyware IR01. I have it and it works perfectly, though I must admit I haven't tried any other MCE remote.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM

Liked: 13
I have one that looks just like the Adesso without the branding. It's technically not an MCE remote because it's seen as a keyboard device and uses those shortcut commands. Additionally I and others have had problems using it to resume from standby. That said, I have a standard MCE remote that has been collecting dust since I got this one and absolutely wouldn't get another remote w/o some sort of mouse control.
post #4 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So what are some things you can do with the mouse function on the Adesso? Is it responsive enough not to be a pain in the ass? Or is it more of a gimmick?
post #5 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM

i used the anyware and like it - but nothing special - serves its purpose

i have not used the adesso or any mouse remote control
post #6 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM

You would be a lot better off getting a cheap HP Media Center IR on Ebay for $14. And then getting a Harmony refurb remote. I have the 550 and it does everything I need. That way you have one remote for everything. I got mine for $30.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 AM

If you're like me, then you will try as hard as possible to AVOID having to use a mouse or keyboard with your HTPC. Therefore, a simple remote is exactly what you would want, if you can accomplish this. But some people have a WAF to deal with and some don't.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

So what are some things you can do with the mouse function on the Adesso? Is it responsive enough not to be a pain in the ass? Or is it more of a gimmick?

The mouse pad isn't perfect but it's certainly usable. I can web surf pretty easily and do rudimentary PC stuff no problem. It is so much more convenient than being limited to only the remote buttons and having pick up a mouse to do the simplest things. But for more intensive stuff I do use a normal mouse for better speed & precision.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I have used both the Anyware and Adesso and I'm in 100% agreement with SteelWill. The Adesso does have problems bringing the PC out of standby on a consistent basis, but I set my PC to never go on standby. The Adesso buttons are a bit small but the convenience of the mouse pad can't be beat.

Looks like the Anyware and Rosewill are your basic MCE remotes, just pick the layout that you like best.

Having said all that, most of the time I just use a universal remote to turn all my components on/off with the same button.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 AM

I have been using the Anyware for awhile now and love it. I thought I was buying some cheapo remote and it definitely surprised me when it arrived, even the packaging was nice.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

i too have the anywhere remote and so far its wife approved

does everything i need it to do and just feels good compared to my tv remotes

http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
its my blog about bmw's, primal eating, pc gaming...whatever i feel like :)
post #12 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

The Adesso does have problems bringing the PC out of standby on a consistent basis, but I set my PC to never go on standby.

I noticed in the comments at newegg that holding any button down for several seconds will cause the PC to wake but have yet to try it myself.

Edit: Just tried and it didn't work for me.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

there is a seller on amazon that sells the "adesso" remote for $15.99 w free shipping....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4851410&sr=8-1
post #14 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just did a lot of testing with Media Center remotes, IR receivers, and emitters. It is a messy area. Here's part of what I learned. Maybe it will help.

If you have XP, you will have a lot of trouble finding a receiver that XP recognizes. There are some, but sometimes you have to hunt down a driver. It should install as an eHome receiver in the Device Manager. I just got one working this afternoon by deleting the ehome receiver there and plugging it back in.

On Vista and Windows 7, the receivers are usually, but not always recognized.

If you also want to control an amp or other CE device, you'll need a transceiver. It usually has two 1/8 ports in the back to plug in emitters. The back of one is shown in the second picture here: http://pix01.com/Ke@LuAQ

Most of the remotes themselves do work once you get past installing the receiver.

Good luck.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #15 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

there is a seller on amazon that sells the "adesso" remote for $15.99 w free shipping....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4851410&sr=8-1

Shipping is $5.50 on that unless you already have an order totaling $25 or more. Probably better off just getting the Adesso remote somewhere else. I like the design and color of the Anyware better, but that built in mouse pad does look like it would come in handy when you need to close to a window or do some light browsing. I'm leaning towards purchasing that one now unless some other opinions come in.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

I noticed in the comments at newegg that holding any button down for several seconds will cause the PC to wake but have yet to try it myself.

Edit: Just tried and it didn't work for me.

I have tried this but only works sometimes. Sometimes you don't even have to hold the button (both my wife and kids sometimes just pick it up and turn on the PC without much ado). But I haven't figured out why you have to hold a button sometimes and not others, and why sometimes it doesn't work at all. Very strange.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went ahead and ordered the Adesso remote from buy.com for $20 shipped and received it in the mail yesterday. It really is a great remote. It is smaller than I thought it was going to be but it's a good size and fits comfortably in my hand. The mouse pad feature is a great added bonus that sets it apart from all the other MCE remotes. The mouse feature did not function the way I thought it was going to and at first I thought it was broke. From the pictures I thought that you were just supposed to glide your finger on the pad like you would with a laptop trackpad, and it wasn't responding. You actually have to press down on the round button to get the mouse to move. One you hold it down the mouse begins to move slowly in the direction it is pressed, and then it will move faster after a few seconds. It takes a minute to get used to but it is definitely a helpful feature. Don't plan on using Word with it, but for light web browsing and opening and closing windows it does the job and allows me to keep the mouse in the entertainment console.

The IR sensor is also great. I can point it in any direction in the room and it still works, unlike my cable box remote where I have to point it directly at the box or it won't work. Highly recommended!

At this point I'm thinking about just dumping cable altogether and picking up some tuner cards for my htpc. Between OTA shows and Blu-ray there isn't much time left in the day for anything else anyways.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

I just did a lot of testing with Media Center remotes, IR receivers, and emitters. It is a messy area. Here's part of what I learned. ... On Vista and Windows 7, the receivers are usually, but not always recognized.

Based on info in this thread, it appears there's at least one receiver that doesn't work with Windows 7. Does anyone know if that's true of any of the Media Center remote receivers? I don't actually need a remote since I have a programmable remote, I just need the receiver. Though I think generally you can get the whole remote/receiver package just as cheap. Are there any special considerations in choosing one for 7MC?

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #19 of 19 Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've been using the Xbox360 MCE remote and I prefer it over all the rest due to the 100% backlight keys. Simple reg key edit and it works great.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page