Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I ran into this problem recently after upgrading the AMD Graphics Driver for my HTPC running Radeon HD 3200 motherboard graphics. Rolling back to the previous graphics driver is one fix for the problem, but there are features of the new driver I wanted to use so I kept digging.

My HTPC has 2 screens - one for day-to-day browsing over VGA and an HDMI output to my receiver when we watch movies etc. Recordings & DVDs would play ok over the VGA, but not over HDMI. Curious, so I looked into the HDMI audio device - it was updated as part of the AMD driver package. Rolling back just the HDMI driver is a more specific fix to the problem. The HDMI driver I am running with successfully is dated 7/14/2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM

Liked: 11
I've had this issue quite often and I always resolve it by uninstalling the the hdmi audio driver in the device manager. It always works when it re-installs. It's getting quite annoying.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

gtgray,

If I were you please don't get so exciting to replace all your HD DVR to Ceton just yet. Make no mistake Ceton is the greatest tuners I have so far but if it is THE only tuner in your home, I think you are risking quite a bit there. If I were you and I am in the same boat too, I replace just one and I still have a HD DVR here as a back up in the bed room. Once I QA for few months and with the better upcoming drivers and FW from Ceton, I will be more comfortable to have nothing but Ceton in my home. Just my 2 cents.

I really appreciate the input.

One of the things I am finding about the Ceton is that it really needs a good clean signal. The Tivo HD is about as mature as cable tuner get and things that don't trip up the Tivo will make the Ceton and Media Center stumbe a bit. I put a high quality Motorola cable distrubtion amp and that has really stabilized the Ceton.

Anway back on topic I went back to my HDMI audio device without the Media Center video error. There is a discussion on the Ceton website that suggested that disabling exclusive mode in the properties of the audio device. I tried that since I am only using the built in speakers in my display. All seems okay now.. I haven't really torture tested things with power management running but all seems good.

Just another blank signature.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I really appreciate the input.

One of the things I am finding about the Ceton is that it really needs a good clean signal. The Tivo HD is about as mature as cable tuner get and things that don't trip up the Tivo will make the Ceton and Media Center stumbe a bit. I put a high quality Motorola cable distrubtion amp and that has really stabilized the Ceton.

Anway back on topic I went back to my HDMI audio device without the Media Center video error. There is a discussion on the Ceton website that suggested that disabling exclusive mode in the properties of the audio device. I tried that since I am only using the built in speakers in my display. All seems okay now.. I haven't really torture tested things with power management running but all seems good.

gtgray,

Regarding the Mot amp, what signal, db, did you get before and after the amp use? Can you elaborate with us what did you mean by "stabilized"?

Regarding the topic here, this is the first time I heard to disable the "Exclusive" mode. I did have few times of that problem. Will try next time when I encountered that problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wish I would have found this thread before I dropped 500 on a Tivo Premiere with LifeTime subscription. I really dont regret getting the TiVo that much because the Tivo Just works and having a HTPC is getting on my nerves due to having to fix something on it every couple months. Anyway... Here is what worked for me.

Installed the latest ATI Drivers. This switched my Audio settings in the control panel from 5.1 to 2 channels. I do have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my AVR so I was concerned with not getting 5.1 since the Audio Control Panel Settings were set to 2 channel. So, I turned 5.1 on in Media Center and played some things as well as playing TrueHD 5.1 movies in MPC-HC and both are putting out 5.1 audio. NO MORE ERRORS
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 10
Just had this problem pop up and it seemed to coincide with getting a new receiver that used HDMI audio (my old receiver only had pass-though). To solve it I updated the drivers and made sure the "Auto Volume" setting in WMC7 was checked. So far issue seems to be solved.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the auto-volume tip, i'll try that if i ever see the problem again. so far since updating to the newest intel drivers from the intel site i haven't seen this problem.

As you can imagine i'm knocking on everything thats made of wood around me right now.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I started encountering this error about a week ago. I would only see it when trying to play a recorded show. Live TV worked just fine. I'm not sure about playing a disk or other content, because I've never used WMC for any of that. But any previously recorded content was unwatchable. The first thing I'd try to play after a WMC restart would loop about the first 1s of audio while it played about the first 10s of video. After the error popped up once, anything else I tried to play would pop up the error immediately.

Tonight I fixed it. I watched several recorded shows and never saw the error once. So what was causing it? HDMI cables. More specifically, I removed the port savers I'd installed on the back of the PC and the back of the receiver. I had previously thought of the PC as only being the source. Its job was to send the signal out its HDMI port and not worry about where it went after that. Apparently it's not that simple. With the digital connection, information goes both ways. And this particular source, WMC, is pretty picky about the quality of that signal. As for why the menus work over the same HDMI connection but then the show crashes out, my only guess is that it has something to do with bandwidth. Maybe some of the other fixes mentioned like changing WMC sounds or turning off 5.1 were also effective thanks to a bandwidth reduction or something similar.

I still have some more experimenting to do to figure out if it's one specific HDMI port saver that was causing my problems or just a cumulative effect of having too many of them. But I thought I'd post my experience here to see if it can help anyone else that's getting this error. Or better yet, maybe we can all figure out the true root of the issue. Try simplifying your HDMI chain or swapping out a cable to see if it changes anything.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was getting the dreaded "Video Error" as well right after I installed my Ceton card. They had me try everything, install new Beta drivers, etc........I read somewhere that people were getting rid of this error by clicking off the navigation sounds in WMC. So, I did that, VOILA!!! I can watch Live TV no problem. But I wasn't going to accept my brand new HTPC to be crippled in not hearing the navigation sounds. I searched and searched online.......I found that some people have changed their audio from 5.1 to Stereo (when used as a regular desktop). I was messing around with the sound options through the control panel. I tried that and turned on my navigation sounds in WMC - NO VIDEO ERRORS!! I re-configured WMC to send a 5.1 signal to my receiver and I tested it. It worked! I tested SpikeTV (which doesn't transmit in 5.1) and my receiver changed to show only left front, right front, and sub working. I changed the channel to ESPN (which I know is a 5.1 signal), my receiver lit up with a 5.1 audio signal - ALL channels working. No Video Errors to speak of.

Just my 2 cents...............

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
If you have content that is LPCM (early Harry Potter blu-ray releases and Kill Bill, volumes 1 and 2, for example) you will only get 2-channel PCM output to your AVR using this method. You have to have Windows > Control Panel > Sounds set to 5.1 or 7.1 to get all channels. I use my HTPC exclusivelly for my entertainment center and don't really want or need to hear the Windows navigation sounds. Currently I have proper audio output from all sources, including LiveTV.