Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So all the sudden my W7 machine just starts throwing these video errors are me when I go to view live tv. I tried uninstalling any program I had might of installed in the last three or four days, and still that doesn't change anything. I had the computer disconnected from the internet for about a week or so, and didn't watch any live tv. Now this week when I came back from the weekend and go the internet hooked up, I get this error. I can not find anything on how to fix it by searching google. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to fix this. I am forced to revert to my XP installation which I haven't touched in almost a 2-3 months since getting W7 installed.

Is this the future to come, random errors in media center that I don't know how to fix......Please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you play a DVD or previously recorded TV program without problem?
If yes then the problem is caused by you TV tuner/video capture card or its drivers and not by a problem with your graphic/video output card or its drivers.
post #3 of 70 Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM

I also have been getting these.

Playing recorded TV or DVDs causes it, sometimes several reboots are needed.

I uninstalled the ATI driver and reinstalled, and it went away for several days and is now back.

This is a fresh build(11/6) and only the minimum is installed, no codec packs all MS stuff plus catalyst center and media browser
post #4 of 70 Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM

@beankid

Do you have a tuner card installed? If so which model?

I found this and the last post mentioned a HVR-2250 tuner card,of which I also have....makes ya go hmmmm
post #5 of 70 Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Have been changing things around trying to get this error to go away. I uninstalled all my ATi drivres and utilities and stopped using the HDMI out and started using the dvi and optical out. So far that issue has not returned.

Maybe some issue with ATIs driver for the 4850 on a W764 system???
post #6 of 70 Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Liked: 11
I always got this problem in Windows Vista x64, using a 4850 with HDMI. I also now get it in Windows 7 x64. I am pretty sure this has something to do with HDMI.
post #7 of 70 Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've been battling this on my new Dell Zino using HDMI. I am using HDMI for audio and video and I can play DVDs fine using WMP, but it fails out quickly in WMC. I found this thread useful:

Quote:

OK, now I think we are getting somewhere. grune23, I think you hit the nail on the head. The issue seems to occur when HDMI is being used for audio and video and the output is set for 5.1 (or 7.1). I too am running the HDMI signal into a receiver (Harmon Kardon) in video pass through mode to my plasma. Last night I ran a simple experiment in which I was able to induce the "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer" error by using my standard setup (video over HDMI + 5.1 audio over HDMI through my receiver to my TV) and running media center and then playing a DVD. I was able to get the failure everytime I did this. I was able to play the DVD fine directly from Windows Media Player but never using Media Center. I then simply disabled the HDMI audio and plugged in a USB headset, the issue went completely away. I then unplugged the USB headset, turned HDMI audio back on, and the issue came right back. As another experiment, I simply configured the HDMI audio to stereo mode (instead of 5.1 mode) and the system worked fine.

In short, there seems to be a Microsoft Media Center bug when using HDMI for both video and 5.1 (or greater) audio.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-30c7def447da
post #8 of 70 Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Also found this tidbit which I will try tonight.

Quote:

Until MS resolves this problem, there's a relatively easy work-around: Go into Control Panel, Sound, and reconfigure your sound card to either 2 channels or 7 channels. If you select 7 channel, you can test your system and then manually disable the two speakers that don't do anything. Once you do that, your media center troubles will go away.

post #9 of 70 Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried switching to 7.1 over HDMI and disabling the two unused speakers as suggested, but WMC still dies when playing DVDs. However, disabling sound effects in WMC seems to fix the issue.
post #10 of 70 Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

See my response in Link #2.
The error you are seing normally has nothing to do with your Graphics/video output card.
It normally is caused by a problem with either TV Tuner/Video input-capture card or with your MC compatible DVD decoder program.
post #11 of 70 Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

See my response in Link #2.
The error you are seing normally has nothing to do with your Graphics/video output card.
It normally is caused by a problem with either TV Tuner/Video input-capture card or with your MC compatible DVD decoder program.

I have no TV Tuner or video input, and I'm running stock Windows 7 x64. No PowerDVD or anything else.
post #12 of 70 Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since you can not play a DVD using MC this implies a problem with the DVD decoder selected as the primary decoder for MC. You can use the following utility to check it.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/bl...aces-vmcd.aspx
post #13 of 70 Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Since you can not play a DVD using MC this implies a problem with the DVD decoder selected as the primary decoder for MC. You can use the following utility to check it.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/bl...aces-vmcd.aspx

OK, I'll check that out tonight. However, I can play DVDs using MC as long as MC Sound Effects are turned off. To me, that would seem to imply a different problem. Once I turn on MC sound effects, the whole thing dies when I play a DVD, but not until I get past the FBI warnings, etc. When the main movie title comes up, then MC barfs up an error - but only if MC sound effects are enabled.
post #14 of 70 Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It appeas that there is more of a problem with either your sound card/chip drivers or with the audio decoder you are using with Win7 MC. Some user's have used a 3rd party video decoder buy have stayed with MS supplied audion decoder.
post #15 of 70 Old 12-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Liked: 14
This is normally a codec issue. You probably have changes either the audio or video codec for live TV. I've done this accidentally before and had a hell of a time getting it fixed. I ended up having to do a system restore back to a time when it was working.

Try dropping a recorded .WTV file into graph edit to see what codecs it is trying to use. Remember though that W7MC will not always use the same codecs that graphedit shows.
post #16 of 70 Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I've started getting this message every time I try to play a DVD all of a sudden.

Nothing has been changed on the system. I've even run a system restore to a day before the issue started and nothing seems to help.

I can play AVI or MKV files. I can even play Blu Ray discs using Total Media Theatre but DVDs spit out this error right after the FBI warning.

Anyone?

FTR DVDs play fine in Windows Media Player
post #17 of 70 Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like this issue still hasn't been resolved.

I am getting the same message when I try to play recorded TV in 7MC (Windows 7 64-bit). It happens after about 10 minutes of playback. I restart 7MC and I can resume from where it stopped, but it will play for about another 10 minutes and then freeze and display this video error message.

I haven't noticed any problems during playing of DVDs or MKV/BD files. Nor do I have any problems when watching live TV (HDHomeRun).

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #18 of 70 Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

It looks like this issue still hasn't been resolved.
I am getting the same message when I try to play recorded TV in 7MC (Windows 7 64-bit). It happens after about 10 minutes of playback. I restart 7MC and I can resume from where it stopped, but it will play for about another 10 minutes and then freeze and display this video error message.
I haven't noticed any problems during playing of DVDs or MKV/BD files. Nor do I have any problems when watching live TV (HDHomeRun).
Just wondering if anyone has found a solution.

In Media Center General Settings; Turn Off 'Play sounds when navigating Media Center'. Problem solved.
post #19 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

In Media Center General Settings; Turn Off 'Play sounds when navigating Media Center'. Problem solved.

Hirent-

Thanks for the information.

I tried turning off 'Play sounds when navigation Windows Media Center' and I still have the problem, but not as frequently. If I also turn off 'Use transition animations' it seems to go away. However, I need to play a recorded TV file a little longer to see if this is really true.

BTW, how did you know about this solution? Did someone from Microsoft tell you? Hopefully they know about this and are working on a fix.

I never had this problem in the past and I've been running 7MC since it was originally released (actually, I was running it during beta and RC). I'm wondering why it has just been a recent problem. I had to replace my NVIDIA graphics card with an ATI graphics card a few months ago, so that could be a factor here as well.

Gregg Plummer
post #20 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I still have the problem, even after turning off both 'Play sounds when navigating Windows Media Center' and 'Use transition animations', the playback of a recorded TV file still freezes and I get the video error message:

"Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer."

Gregg Plummer
post #21 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I still have the problem, even after turning off both 'Play sounds when navigating Windows Media Center' and 'Use transition animations', the playback of a recorded TV file still freezes and I get the video error message:

"Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer."
Do you have both your windows sound setup and media center sound setup to the same number of speakers?

One other thing I've tried is to set your windows sounds to 2 channel, and then set media center to 5.1. The only drawback I had with that was Blu Rays with LPCM tracks would only play 2 channels.
post #22 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post
Do you have both your windows sound setup and media center sound setup to the same number of speakers?

One other thing I've tried is to set your windows sounds to 2 channel, and then set media center to 5.1. The only drawback I had with that was Blu Rays with LPCM tracks would only play 2 channels.
My audio in Control Panel is set to 'Analog out 1-8' and I use a driver for an Echo Audio AudioFire8, which is a multichannel (7.1) external audio device with a FireWire connection. It works very well. Media Center does not have an option in 'Speaker Connection Type' that matches my setup. The only analog choices are mini plug and dual RCA. Even though they don't match, I don't have any problems playing multichannel surround when watching live TV, recorded TV, playing DVDs or BDs (MKV files).

This setup wizard assumes you are connecting your soundcard or motherboard to an AV Receiver, which I am not. My audio device is a customized DAC and multichannel amp (very high quality).

Anyhow, I'm not sure why my audio setup would have any bearing here. I've used the same audio setup for years and haven't had this problem. Like I said, the only difference I can think of, was switching from a NVIDA graphics card to an ATI graphics card.

Gregg Plummer
post #23 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
My audio in Control Panel is set to 'Analog out 1-8' and I use a driver for an Echo Audio AudioFire8, which is a multichannel (7.1) external audio device with a FireWire connection. It works very well. Media Center does not have an option in 'Speaker Connection Type' that matches my setup. The only analog choices are mini plug and dual RCA. Even though they don't match, I don't have any problems playing multichannel surround when watching live TV, recorded TV, playing DVDs or BDs (MKV files).

This setup wizard assumes you are connecting your soundcard or motherboard to an AV Receiver, which I am not. My audio device is a customized DAC and multichannel amp (very high quality).

Anyhow, I'm not sure why my audio setup would have any bearing here. I've used the same audio setup for years and haven't had this problem. Like I said, the only difference I can think of, was switching from a NVIDA graphics card to an ATI graphics card.
shot in the dark:
does your motherboard have an onboard video card, if so check the bios to make sure it is disabled

also try to update your directx runtime software
post #24 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
shot in the dark:
does your motherboard have an onboard video card, if so check the bios to make sure it is disabled
I realize your suggestion is just a shot in the dark. My on-board audio has been disabled for a very long time. I'm just curious, why are you guys suggesting altering my audio settings? My audio setup hasn't changed for over 2 years.

However, my new(ish) ATI graphics card (a XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1G) supports HDMI audio. Since no audio AVR is connected to the HDMI port (only my LG HDTV is connected to the HDMI port), the Control Panel shows HDMI audio as 'not connected'.

Gregg Plummer
post #25 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

I've also noticed that the video error doesn't appear when I watch recordings of shows with ads, which I also fast forward through. It only happens when I watch longer shows that don't have ads, like PBS's Nova. I just watched "The Office" and fast forwarded through the ads, and I never got the video error.

I'll have to try it without fast forwarding to see if that makes any difference.

Gregg Plummer
post #26 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I realize your suggestion is just a shot in the dark. My on-board audio has been disabled for a very long time. I'm just curious, why are you guys suggesting altering my audio settings? My audio setup hasn't changed for over 2 years.

However, my new(ish) ATI graphics card (a XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1G) supports HDMI audio. Since no audio AVR is connected to the HDMI port (only my LG HDTV is connected to the HDMI port), the Control Panel shows HDMI audio as 'not connected'.
I did not say onboard audio, I said video. Google showed some people having the error pop up because they have an enabled onboard video card with less then 64MB of ram and WMC sees that video card and in result spits out the error.
post #27 of 70 Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

I did not say onboard audio, I said video. Google showed some people having the error pop up because they have an enabled onboard video card with less then 64MB of ram and WMC sees that video card and in result spits out the error.

Sorry... my mistake.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H and it doesn't have an option to specifically disable the onboard GPU. The options are:

1. Enable if No Ext PEG

This activates the onboard VGA only if no PCI Express VGA card is installed.

2. Always Enable

I have had it set to #1 and I assume this is as good as disabling the onboard graphics.

You also mentioned updating the directx runtime software. Did you read somewhere that this will possibly solve this problem? I try to avoid making changes unless I have good reason. I'll look into this as well.

Thanks.

Gregg Plummer
post #28 of 70 Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 29
I had to select 7 speakers in speaker set up.
I was getting repeating sounds when watching live tv, and if I brought the screen down to windowed mode it would give the video error.

I don't know why this all of a sudden popped up. The only thing I can think of is some Windows update.

Edit-- Never mind, the problem came back. WAF down the tubes now that we can't watch TV
post #29 of 70 Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I also assumed you were connected via a receiver. I've experienced this issue with an Intel g45 with on board video, an ATI 5670, and now an Intel I3. Even though the error mentions video files, in my case it was always an issue with the audio. Turning off windows media center sounds or using the on board audio (bypassing HDMI) always fixed it.

As another poster suggested, maybe a windows update is causing the issue, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Maybe you could post over at thegreenbutton as well since it is a little more WMC focused.
post #30 of 70 Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 PM

What's going on with this? In a Google search keep finding lots of people posting this issue and the threads all die with no solution.
I have a Dell Zino HD with ATI card and I use HDMI for video and sound and I started having this issue in the last couple of weeks just before installing SP1 for Windows 7 64-bit. The difference between before the problem and after is that I got a new receiver with HDMI inputs and before I had plugged the HDMI cable directly to the TV and used toslink for audio. It worked fine for a few days and then the issue popped up.
I then installed SP1 to see if it made a difference to fix the issue and it did not. I tried turning off WMC sounds (not that that would have been a real solution "solving" the issue even if it did work), but it didn't help anything. I found a thread that suggested using Microsoft drivers for audio instead of Realteks's driver and I did that and it stopped the problem right after, but I came back to watch recorded videos a few days later and the problem is back again.
Anyone find a solution to make this work as designed?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page