Just want to watch FiOS on my computer... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading a few threads on FiOS and how to use it with a HTPC, but they all seem like the users want WAAAAY more from their setups than I do, and therefore the answers seem to be way more complex and confusing than what I really need (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

I don't really care about recording (though if prices are similar, I'll go with whatever option allows me to do so); I just want to be able to watch my Verizon FiOS TV channels on my computer, or even just on my monitor.

I already have a STB in that room of the house, it is NOT a DVR but it does have the VOD capability. Is there a way for me to just hook up the STB to my computer and still be able to watch the VOD stuff?

Basically I just don't want to have a TV in my room anymore and would like to get away with using my Computer monitor. I'm not even that worried about quality, as I currently have an OLD TV from 1993 in my room - surely anything will be just as good as that? Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If your monitor has 2 inputs you could just switch when you want to watch the box.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I agree with Servetech571. The simplest thing to do is just use your computer monitor as a TV. If your current monitor does not have a connection your FIOS box can use, it might even be worth to just purchase one that does. I currently use a 24" monitor that has both HDMI and component connections. I use the HDMI connected to my computer and the component is used by my cable box.

If you don't want to do that then you will have buy a capture card that has an analog input (s-video would be best).
post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What about the sound? Most monitors don't have speakers.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My monitor has speakers but I don't use them (they are not very good). I use my Z-5500 computer speakers. They have optical and coaxial inputs along with standard analog. I am using analog for the computer and optical for the cable box.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page