Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi folks,

Looking for some help here. Just upgraded a desktop PC from Vista to W7 Home Premium RTM (x64). TV was working fine on Vista Home Premium x64. I've got a SiliconDust HDHomeRun LAN-based tuner.

In W7 x64 Home Premium RTM, I'm getting no sound or picture on any channel via either the QuickTV application or in Media Center. Yikes! On the W7RTM desktop, if I switch the preview application to Windows Media Player, I can watch any channel by clicking View for that channel in the Setup App. It opens WMP and plays fine.

I did apply the 20091024 software and it updated the HDHomeRun firmware, so I'm on the latest software. It's supposedly 7 compatible; even the prior release was working on W7RC x64.

My W7RC x32 computer downstairs is playing TV fine from the same tuners so I don't think the problem is in the HomeRun box; also since I can see TV on the Desktop in WMP that rules out the box. Could it be I'm somehow missing a codec configuration? This is x64 which can be tweaky.

It's just QuickTV and Media player that aren't working. Just blank screens. Any help appreciated.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting. I've been on Win7 64 RC with my HDhomeRun for 2 months now with out any issues. Only thing I can think of... did you properly setup the HDHomeRun? Run through the config/setup and make sure you have it set to WMC as your default player. Also make sure you run through the setup in WMC for TV settings. I'm sure you probably done all this already, but just clearing out the basics first.

*edit... just re-read. I have to clarify my post. I have no problems viewing TV in WMC, but I too can't use the QuickTV with the HomeRun. I've tried a few different settings before I decided to drop it and not use it. WMC is usually always up anyway to DVR something. So not having the quick view is a non issue for me.

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringals View Post

Interesting. I've been on Win7 64 RC with my HDhomeRun for 2 months now with out any issues. Only thing I can think of... did you properly setup the HDHomeRun? Run through the config/setup and make sure you have it set to WMC as your default player. Also make sure you run through the setup in WMC for TV settings. I'm sure you probably done all this already, but just clearing out the basics first.

*edit... just re-read. I have to clarify my post. I have no problems viewing TV in WMC, but I too can't use the QuickTV with the HomeRun. I've tried a few different settings before I decided to drop it and not use it. WMC is usually always up anyway to DVR something. So not having the quick view is a non issue for me.

Pringals,

Thanks for the good check on the basics. All those things done. W7MC knows about the channels, they show signal strength 5 bars green, etc..

I agree that QuickTV may not be terribly useful and I'm fine with WMP for preview in the rare times I want to do that. But I gotta get WMC going. I've fully set it up. When I try to watch a channel, I can see via my router that I'm shoving data around the network, and I hear my hard drive heads dancing in the typical rhythm for TV. Just no picture or sound. It has the visual appearance of a codec problem. But, this is a virgin W7RTM box, nothing non-stock video/audio installed at all until I tried to set up the HDHomeRun.

I've very nervously updating my 7RC 32 bit HTPC right now, and I'll see if I have similar problems there. If so, I may have to revert to the RC until this issue is cleared up.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Marc

post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, with helpf from folks over at TGB I found this is caused by the Windows Firewall. Turning off the firewall fixes it. I'll figure out how to allow the app to work with the firewall on and post the full solution later.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Check the HDHomeRun.com forum. The issue with firewall has already being discussed there many times before. You don't have to turn off firewall but rather configure the firewall rules for couple of entries correctly. The HDHomeRun setup can't reliably identify your network type in Win7. Hence the wrong rules are created.

I have no problem with both WMC and QuickTV.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page