Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim/Onkyo SR-806/GTX 295 Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Just did a new build and I need some major help please. My build consists of Asus Rampage II Gene MoBo, Intel core i7-920, 6GB Dominator RAM, BFGOCFU GTX 295 dual card, and ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim sound card. OS is Windows 7 x64 Professional. I have an Onkyo TX SR-806 which is hooked up to a Panasonic TC-P54V10 54" TV that is wall mounted. I have 7.1 speaker configuration. The TV sound is set to 0 because I use the Onkyo for all sound.

Now on to the problems: I have no sound from the computer whatsoever. If I hook up my computer directly to the tv, nor if I hook it up through the Onkyo receiver. I have gone into the ASUS Bios and disabled onboard sound. I have disabled the Soundmax components that Windows 7 loaded, so now under sound options I have a device labled "speakers" with the HDAV1.3 description underneath it, and this is set to "use as default device". Under that I have a device labled "S/PDIF Passithrough Device" and it also has the HDAv1.3 description under it. I have tried every combination between the two of using each as default device, using each as default communications device, and have tried all the test buttons - still NO sound.

I have searched other forums and can't find a solution for my problems. I built this sytem from scratch 3 days ago, all new components, no re-uses. Even though the system is up and running, cool and stable, I can get almost no drivers or functions to work. The install CD's for the ASUS motherboard wouldn't load because they are incompatible with Win 7, so I just let Windows install drivers for what I needed, and I skipped finding an online download of the SupremeFX X-FI onboard sound because I figured it would be disabled anyway with the use of the Xonar. I also could not install the CD drivers for HDAV1.3, so I went onto ASUS and downloaded the Win 7 beta pack drivers for the card itself, as well as the TMT3 release. I never had a previous version of the drivers or TMT3 on the computer since the factory CD's didn't work, but both loaded and I assume they are fine as I can go into the HDAV1.3 control panel as well as the TMT3 control panel.

My physical connections are as follows:

GTX 295 DVI/HDMI to the HDMI in port on the HDAV1.3 Slim card. GTX 295 S/PDIF cable to the motherboard.

HDAV1.3 HDMI out to HDMI 5 "Game/TV" on the Onkyo TX SR-806. HDAV1.3 Optical toggle connector out to the Digital Optical Audio In 1 on the back of the Onkyo. HD Audio pin connector to the input connector on the HDAV1.3.

I have tried all combinations of just using the HDMI from the HDAV1.3 only to the TV directly, and to the Onkyo. I have tried unplugging the HD Audio connector, the GTX 295 S/PDIF connector, etc. No matter which variation I use I cannot seem to get any sound.

In the TMT3 control panel I have tried selecting 7.1, S/PDIF, and HDMI. Nothing worked.

On the Onkyo when I have it connected as is with the HDMI in port 5 "Game/TV", the display says "HDMI Through" when I turn it on, and then after Windows loads it just reads whichever sound format that I cycle through Direct, All Channel Surround, the THX"S, etc.

I don't know what else to do short of re-installing Windows 7 again and starting from scratch, buying and installing Vista 64 and starting from scratch, or what.

So any and all help would be appreciated. Do I have my physical connections right? Is there something I need to set up on the Onkyo differently? Am I right in disabling the onboard sound from the BIOS? Should I completely uninstall the SoundMAX drivers that Windows put on, even with onboard audio disabled? Does it matter that I never installed the onboard SupremeFX X-FI from ASUS?

I am totally stumped and frustrated. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You should post/check in the official Slim thread, but here are some directions that I can give:

1. For getting things right first time make sure that on-board audio is disabled prior to installing TMT3.

2. Get latest ASUS drivers, at least 17.73 and of course latest Geforce drivers.

3. I see no problems with your connections (Graphic Card HDMI-OUT->Xonar HDMI-IN and then XONAR HDMI-OUT to AVR).

4. Set Windows to the SPDIF Xonar device.

5. If on ASUS TMT3 set it to HDMI, if on retail TMT3 set it to "HDMI-passthrough".

With these settings it "should" work first time... BUT, there's the plaguing problem of HDMI handshake between the 4 devices in the HDMI chain (Display Device, AVR, Xonar and Graphic Card). If the EDID info gets messed up somewhere in the chain, video and/or audio get screwed-up.

Some "easy solution": try changing the HDMI-in in the AVR. Or just turn on display device and AVR, then the PC. Or plugging/unplugging HDMI connectors on graphic card or Xonar.

This works most of the time, but in the event that even this does not work for you, there are two real solutions:

1. Get the Gefen HDMI (or DVI) Plus Detective (~$100).

2. Do a EDID Override.

In any case, don't panic, be calm, have patience, you should get it to work in the end.

(BTW I have 2 HDAVs working with no issues on two Core i7 920/Asus HTPCs, so it should work great on yours).

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

The ASUS drivers I got to install were version 7.12.8.1775

The TMT3 version that I was able to install is 3.0.13.139 - this was from the ASUS site, not retail

By changing the HDMI-in on the Onkyo, do you just mean physically trying a different HDMI port? I have tried the method of turning on the Panasonic TV, then Onkyo receiver, then PC - this did not seem to work./matter.

I am pretty sure I already had onboard audio disabled before I installed the HDAV/TMT3 drivers, but if not, should I just uninstall all my drivers and start again? Since I already entered the product code for the TMT3 off the CD that ASUS sent me, is there any problem with uninstalling/re-installing as far as you know? This also pertains if I try and do a "fresh" install of Windows 7 and start over..

Would purchasing Vista Ultimate 64 bit solve any of this? Or if it is an EDID problem is that universal no matter the OS? I am not real familiar with the technical aspects of it.

Thanks again
post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Go into device manager and look for issues.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmmav21 View Post

Thanks for the response.

The ASUS drivers I got to install were version 7.12.8.1775

The TMT3 version that I was able to install is 3.0.13.139 - this was from the ASUS site, not retail

By changing the HDMI-in on the Onkyo, do you just mean physically trying a different HDMI port? I have tried the method of turning on the Panasonic TV, then Onkyo receiver, then PC - this did not seem to work./matter.

I am pretty sure I already had onboard audio disabled before I installed the HDAV/TMT3 drivers, but if not, should I just uninstall all my drivers and start again? Since I already entered the product code for the TMT3 off the CD that ASUS sent me, is there any problem with uninstalling/re-installing as far as you know? This also pertains if I try and do a "fresh" install of Windows 7 and start over..

Would purchasing Vista Ultimate 64 bit solve any of this? Or if it is an EDID problem is that universal no matter the OS? I am not real familiar with the technical aspects of it.

Thanks again

Yes, I mean physically trying a different HDMI port. I mean, try to get a first handshake right, no matter what.

No need of Vista, it should work on Win7 just fine,

Yes, do the reinstall again and follow Davinleeds advice too.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Tried different HDMI port on receiver, no change.

Just formatted drive and did a fresh install of Win7. Powered down, went into BIOS, made sure Onboard HD Audio set to Disabled.

Updated to latest nVidia driver for GTX 295. Rebooted.

Installed ASUS HDAV1.3 Slim driver from net (same version as listed above). Went inot HDAV Center and selected 8 channels, PCM 192 KHz, and SPDIF out - PCM.

Went to Windows Sound and selected SPDIF PassThrough Device as default (only other choice is "Speakers" - both have HDAV description underneath). Under Supported formats DTS, Dolby Digital and Microsoft WMA all checked in top half. 44.1 KHZ, 48.0 KHZ, 96.0 KHZ, and 192.0 KHZ all checked off in bottom half.

I have no yellow exclamation points anywhere in Device Manager. The only thing listed under Sound/Game in Device Manager is the Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Audio Device.

Installed TMT3, same version as noted above. Rebooted. Went into TMT3 - Settings. Video is set at Auto Deinterlace. Audio - Output Mode, changed from default of 7.1 to HDMI. Under File Association, first tried with all unchecked, then tried with all selected and checked. Nothing either way.

Still No Sound.

The only drivers/programs on the computer as of now are (reading directly from Control Panel):
Arcsoft Total Media Theater 3 v
ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim
nVidia Drivers
nVidia PhysX
nVidia Stereoscopic 3D Driver
OpenAL
System Requirements Lab

Went into Onkyo Receiver setup for this HDMI line, trying to see if anything was visibly set-up wrong to my eye:

Display reads HDMI PassThrough
Sound mode - Direct or Pure Audio

Input: HDMI
Digital Audio Input Optical 1 (tried switching this to HDMI, no use)

Listening Mode Presets for Line:
Anaolg / PCM - Direct
Dolby Digital - Pure Audio
DTS - Pure Audio
D.F. 2ch - Pure Audio
D.F. Mono - Pure Audio
Multich PCM - Pure Audio
192k/176.4k - Direct
Dolby TrueHD - TrueHD
DTS-HD - Neo:6
DSD - Direct

So, I am still stumped. Unless by reading everything above, if no other suggestions are thought of, I will have to either buy that Gefen thing or attempt the EDID thing, as I am out of options with my limit of knowledge/expertise. Building computers I can do, this sound stuff gets a little technical for me...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

With advice from the Official Thread and this one, I finally got it all working. Thanks for your help, Tulli.

Mods - this thread can be closed if you guys do that here.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 PM

tj,

i too have an onkyo, and just built a windows 7 machine with the xonar slim car. i too have no sound. what was the final solution you found to solve your problem?

thanks in advance,

-MrM
post #9 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I have an HDAV Deluxe 1.3 and had to switch the default output in the HDAV control panel to hdmi; otherwise, I would not get any sounds at all.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page