Let's pick the best tuners! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would hold off on the Duet. I ordered 2 of them and one of them is defective. Customer service has been very slow to respond to my RMA even though I have filed all the required info. It's been 8 days and they claim most RMA's are proccesed in 1 business day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
>> Come on Ceton, release those 4X tuners already!!!

+1
post #33 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought one ASUS EHD - 100 (Dual Digital/Analog combo tuner) with a nice-looking remote, and a whitebox AverTV Duet (A188) for the OTA ATSC. I'll install both in my Win7 x64 rig and report back!

Pioneer lover: Elite TV and AVR | HTPC Masochist | Bit-perfect Audiophile | Networking Guru |
post #34 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had no problems with my HVR-1250 in Win7 HP x64. Just use the drivers from Windows Update.
post #35 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I've had no problems with my HVR-1250 in Win7 HP x64. Just use the drivers from Windows Update.

Strange, mine caused the system to constantly crash, and I did use the drivers from Windows Update. Must have been either the combination of this card and the Intel DX52SO mobo, or my Hauppauge card was faulty.

Either way, getting and installing the AverTV hybrid volar max solved all the problems I had.
post #36 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cetrian View Post

I went ahead and bought one ASUS EHD - 100 (Dual Digital/Analog combo tuner) with a nice-looking remote, and a whitebox AverTV Duet (A188) for the OTA ATSC. I'll install both in my Win7 x64 rig and report back!

That would have been my choice too. It wasn't available when I purchased the Vista View's. Don't get me wrong, I'm reaaly happy with them, just missing the radio portion.

Yes let us know how it is especially PQ on NTSC.

Thanks,
post #37 of 50 Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I plan to use the ASUS card for NTSC on Brighthouse cable, since I have seen AverMedia's NTSC before, and it looks pretty bad.

Pioneer lover: Elite TV and AVR | HTPC Masochist | Bit-perfect Audiophile | Networking Guru |
post #38 of 50 Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
OK, guys, here's a test. I have and happily use an HD-PVR (component from 2 HD satellite receivers) and an HDHomeRun (dual ATSC antenna connections), between the two my HD needs are fully met.

However, I also have the need to record, on the fly, the S-Video signals from a non-HD Dishnetwork receiver, and a DirecTV HR22 HD receiver. This is just to grab short interviews, news reports, etc, from SD satellite channels. For several years I've been happily using a Hauppauge Win-TV-PVR 250 for this purpose, with SageRecorder software (no longer supported, doesn't work with newer cards.). Moving up to a new HTPC now though, and the PVR 250 will also no longer be supported... so I''m looking for a simple NTSC card (PCI-E) with the very best PQ and hopefully simple, on-the-fly recording software. I have absolutely no need for ATSC, QAM, FM, etc, but I don't care if they're on the card... I don't have to use them.

I was narrowing in on the Asus My Cinema cards, but not sure about their software. Will it allow on-the-fly recording? These news reports, etc, can't be scheduled ahead of time.

I should mention this will be on a Win 7 32 or 64 bit computer (I have one of each, could use either one.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
post #39 of 50 Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm happy with my Duet A188 for ATSC.
post #40 of 50 Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I've installed both tuners and 7 Media center seems to be doing an OK job with them. I'm going to wipe its setting and start from scratch - I'm not getting all the listings and channels I expected. =/

post #41 of 50 Old 11-16-2009, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

This is incredible. I FINALLY have Media Center working the way I want, and even the G/F is happy!

OTA ATSC > AverMedia A188 Duet (2 logical tuners)
ClearQAM Cable > ASUS EHD100 (2 Logical Tuners)
NTSC Cable > Same ASUS EHD100 (2 Logical analog tuners)

Using only two RG6 feeds, in nice keystone jacks on the wall thanks to Monoprice. All RG6-Quad-Shield, compression fittings.

Media Center is kickass because:
1. it's working right!
2. I have combined all channels for example:
WTVT is our local Fox station. It is OTA ATSC at 13.1, 13.2
It is also 14.1, 14.2 on ClearQAM, and analog 13 on cable.
So, if you pick "Fox - WTVT" on the guide, it will find the best quality available. (Antenna, then ClearQAM, then analog) How KICK ASS. The g/f doesn't have to think about it, she just clicks "dancing with the stars" or whatever and it picks the best way available at that time to watch it.
3. Want to check the score while being subjected to dancing with the stars? Easy, pull up the sports border-view while she's watching. So kick ass.

post #42 of 50 Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 AM

I'm thinking about getting the Avermedia duet A188. A lot of newegg reviews mentioned issues with the card not working properly or not being detected when the computer wakes from sleep mode. Does anyone with this card have this issue??
post #43 of 50 Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed. I have it working this way with the 2250 (sortof).

Since someone took the bait, this is why I'm ditching the 2250:

1. I have tried 3 different 2250's over a 7 month period including a "special" one that Hauppauge sent me. All have the following problems:
2. The chief problem is driver support. The 2250 loses its PCI Device ID (Should be programmed like a MAC address on the card) on a cold reboot. On a warm reboot, the proper PCI Device ID comes back! This is maddening because:
2a. Windows relies on that ID to pick a driver for the device, so the 2250 shows up as "unknown media controller."
2b. When the tuner "returns", 7MC sees it as a new tuner, and duplicates all the channels in the guide. Some channels no longer work, all my name mappings are screwed up.

Sound like somethibg else is the root cuase to your problem do you have asus motherboard? what is full spec of your system.
Some thing to beware of 16x slots where made to usely only to work with Video card.

Quote:

3. H's support basically accuse me of making this problem up (!!) and they just don't care. Their driver support even for people who have working hardware setups is awful. 32/64bit drivers are rarely in sync, and you frequently have to use some form of "beta" driver just for basic functionality like ClearQAM.
4. H's Drivers will break something that they previously fixed.
5. H's software (e.g. WinTV) is utter garbage.

That said, please go buy my card on eBay.

I never have problem with ClearQAM in fact min of us SageTV user have this board.
What wrong with WinTV7? I think far better then anything they ever done sure there somethings missing but sure in time we see thoses miss features like we had in WinTV2k/6.
post #44 of 50 Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion80 View Post

I'm thinking about getting the Avermedia duet A188. A lot of newegg reviews mentioned issues with the card not working properly or not being detected when the computer wakes from sleep mode. Does anyone with this card have this issue??

Yep, I'm having this problem right now. Haven't heard back from Avermedia yet. I saw a possible fix posted somewhere that if you go into Power Management in Win7 and turn PCIe power saving features off that the problem will go away. We'll see...

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #45 of 50 Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Please keep us posted if turning off the power saving feature solves the problem.
post #46 of 50 Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

This is incredible. I FINALLY have Media Center working the way I want, and even the G/F is happy!

OTA ATSC > AverMedia A188 Duet (2 logical tuners)
ClearQAM Cable > ASUS EHD100 (2 Logical Tuners)
NTSC Cable > Same ASUS EHD100 (2 Logical analog tuners)

Using only two RG6 feeds, in nice keystone jacks on the wall thanks to Monoprice. All RG6-Quad-Shield, compression fittings.

Media Center is kickass because:
1. it's working right!
2. I have combined all channels for example:
WTVT is our local Fox station. It is OTA ATSC at 13.1, 13.2
It is also 14.1, 14.2 on ClearQAM, and analog 13 on cable.
So, if you pick "Fox - WTVT" on the guide, it will find the best quality available. (Antenna, then ClearQAM, then analog) How KICK ASS. The g/f doesn't have to think about it, she just clicks "dancing with the stars" or whatever and it picks the best way available at that time to watch it.
3. Want to check the score while being subjected to dancing with the stars? Easy, pull up the sports border-view while she's watching. So kick ass.

now that you have everything just the way you want it install acronis and create a os image and store it on another hd, os recovery made easy.
post #47 of 50 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

are these two considered the top tv tuners:
AVerTV Combo G2
Saber DA-1N1-E Combo Analog/Digital PCI TV Tuner Card

also do these both work with windows media center?
post #48 of 50 Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know how to fix that........

Marry Her!!

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #49 of 50 Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 AM

Terratec H5, H7, terratec cinergy HTC XS HD.
I have latest card, perfect image, stability, etc.
Hd looks good, radio sound are very good.
post #50 of 50 Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion80 View Post

I've been using 2 Duet whitebox models since they were released. I've had no problems once they were setup in SageTV and 7MC. If I had another PCIe slot I'd get another one.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page