Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 515 Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Mr. Deap, would you be so kind as to tell us what RAID 0 setup you are using in your system? Are you using a dedicated RAID card or just onboard? Which brand HDD's and how many are you using, and what kind of benchmarks do you get from your drives? Can you successfully record 1080i/p content without stutter, and at what framerate?

Here an overview of what you need.

Quote:

Bandwidth
http://av-info.eu/graphics/bandwidth_SDI.jpg

720p: the image in the 720p60 format has about 0,922 megapixels per frame (1280×720), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 full images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 1.30 Gbps.
1080i: the image in the 1080i60 format has about 2.07 megapixels per frame (1920x1080), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 half-images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 1.46 Gbps.
1080p: the image in the 1080p60 format has about 2.07 megapixels per frame (1920x1080), with 24-bit color per pixel (RGB) and 60 full images per second it needs a bandwidth of about 2.97 Gbps.

1.3Gbps=About 165MB/s

My Raid setup is only 2 hard drive using onboard raid. The problem is that it doesn't stay above 165MB all the time which make it difficult to get a stable framerate. That's the reason why I record compressed which give me a better result in that situation.

I'm using 2 Seatgate 7200.10

Seagate 7200.10 chart

I believe my onboard raid is decent & it's very important to make sure that the minimum speed should not go under 165MB.

Well in practice based on the chart & my setup. It look more like I need 4 hard drive rather than just 3 with the Seagate 7200.10.

Though my seagate are old & you will get better performance out of with Seagate 7200.11 or 7200.12 along with the Caviar Black with 3 is enough.

Well as for 1080P 60 it need 376MB/s based on the chart, so...hmmm.... Never mind...

By the way, Like I said I can record 60fps without stuttering in 720P via component using windows media encoder.

Slowed the video to 50% for youtube. You can see that I'm able to record effectively every frame without stuttering.

Took some random video of DMC4 from other user in HD in the original speed.

You can see that I didn't mess up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 515 Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
So you were getting studder free capturing using windows media encoder? I can't seem to get the program to work for me. Anyone using any other programs to record? Raid is out of the question for me so I cant use wincap.
post #63 of 515 Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM

So I'm completely new to recording footage through my computer. I wanted to try my hand at it so I bought this card and have had nothing but headaches since I started.

The instalation went find and when I booted up the xbox, I could see the image in the included software. However, when I tried to record through HDMI I got nothing but lag and then when I stopped recording, the image in the software went black. Only restarting the computer fixes the issue, but the image jumped around randomly during the recording anyways.

My computer is an AMD quad core with 5 gigs of ram and vista 64 bit.

So then I tried to use the component cable input but I can only get that image to work as standard def and the lag makes the game unplayable.

So I THEN tried to just do an HDMI splitter, but whenever I plug the aver card into the spliter, it's image turns green. I tried several different cables/configurations, but it doesn't present the image through the software clearly. if I plug the cable directly into the xbox, it works fine, if I remove the secondary display (straight to the monitor) the Aver software works through the splitter.

Do you think it's a driver issue? I'm about to toss the thing out the window.

I also tried recording through fraps, which is workable, but I still drop frames constantly.
post #64 of 515 Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Ok, I'll help a little bit with windows media encoder(it's recommended to download both 32 & 64bit even if you use windows 64bit). It's free for genuine Windows user. Compatible with XP, VIsta & Windows 7

The software can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

First you open windows media encoder. Select custom session.

As for the video input choose Avermedia BDA analog secondary(composite=component; S-video=HDMI set in configuration)...

As for the audio input it's preferable to use your sound card on inboard sound driver. The windows media encoder doesn't seem to recognize the audio input of the capture card. As usual I go around it.

Choose the folder you want to save your video you record

Now the difficult stuff for most that don't understand much about bitrate value & all along with the codec. I prefer to use the lowrest setting for higher performance, but I abuse a bit in the bitrate to go around it. I use WMA10 professional & WMV7 as for the video codec.

So here my setting. You can only record in CBR, for direct recording. VBR with dual pass can only be done with pre recorded file. Adjust the bitrate depending of how good is you CPU. Instead of having a super crazy bandwidth hard drive setup you can go around with processing power. (the software froze when I tried uncompressed, so don't bother trying it. It also corrupted my capture card driver, which require to reinstall the capture driver. Leave it compressed & you won't have any trouble.)

Very important to avoid any drop is to set the software into performance recording. Honestly I didn't see an actual difference in picture quality since the direct feed is from the capture card.

Click on start encoding & you're good to go.

This should work with any HD capture card or whatever device you use but it's recommended to use a progressive feed because Windows Media Encoder doesn't support well desinterlacing. The reason why Windows Media encoder is such a nice software is due that you won't get any issue with audio synchronization even if it drop.
post #65 of 515 Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM

I just bought the card myself and doing some tests on it. My computer is a Phenom II 955 with 8GB Ram on Win 7 x64.
Anyway, I just tried using HDMI input at 720p/60 with Windows Media Encoder x64 and it worked well. I used about the same setting as Mr Deap but at 10 Mbps (windows media 9 video codec). I did not lose frame. Tried to set at 25Mbps but got an average of 13Mbps anyway. CPU loaded at 60% average. No frame lost again. Sadly, it doesn't take the card input sound.

I also tried using FRAPS. I lost some fps, got 50 fps and above. The problem is the video split around each minute you record (4 GB each part). So you'll have to edit a bit after. ( 720p)

I am currently trying other software whether is capturing the screen or using directly the card.
BlazeMedia Pro: Didn't work.... and WinCap: That outdated software didn't work either. Well maybe someone could tell me how to use it lol.
Virtualdub: I lagged a lot with this software.
NCH Software Debut Video: The output video didn't have a good quality. Once again, I didn't try a lot of settings on it so I'll give a try again later.

Cyberlink Power Director.
Up till now, it is the software I prefer. The ease of use and quality. It detects automatically your hardware and provide you with simple edit that you can do right after you captured your video. It records the sound taking in by the card. When you set you Mbps, you have the choice between 1Mbps to 25 Mbps average. Doesn't take a lot of harware resource either.
Three thing:
1-You cannot capture at 60 fps, so people who wants to capture console video games may not be pleased. But normally 30 fps would be enough.
2-I had some problems on 1080i resolution. It would record the video splitted with half green background. But maybe it's the setting I used or something else. ( well, avermedia driver and software aren't good at this time.)
3-It will not record HDCP content as Windows Media Encoder do.
Oh yeah oddly enough, when I try other software such as Windows Media Encoder. I have first to open the software I want to try and then Aver MediaCenter just to receive a clear input (HDMI) on the software.

Aver MediaCenter does not take 15Mbps at 720p. It's really a low Mbps it has that you cannot change because the software is buggy. The main reason the quality is so bad. If you were to try Windows Media Encoder at 10 Mbps, you will get a lot better quality. ( In fact, the content I recorded barely went to 12Mbps)

@holyground: Do you use the beta driver? Once I installed it, everything worked fine for me. As for a hdmi splitter, well I don't have one as of yet so I can't tell. But I do think it's a driver issue right now. And as for the lag, what are your computer specs?
post #66 of 515 Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 AM

Thank you very much Mr Deap, that works a charm. As misayato suggests it's a shame that it can't capture sound from the HDMI but I'm hoping to get around that. I'm using the card to capture Xbox 360 footage and have the optical output connected to my AV Receiver. I'm hoping that the remaining stereo outputs (on the xbox optical output adapter) still work though so I can use a 2xphono to 3mm jack cable and record the sound in stereo. I haven't tried it yet so I'll let you know how I get on.

I've recorded without sound and I'll probably need to adjust a few settings to keep the file size down but the quality seems much improved and hopefully will resolve any editing issues I had with MPEG 2 including random red frames and the audio going out of sync.
post #67 of 515 Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Hello people,
First of all a kind thank you from me, i've been leeching some info off you guys hehe.
I've also bought an H727 and i ran into the same problems as you. the method mr Deap described worked for me, and the quality is great now. but as has been said above, i dont have any audio.
I'm using the card to record my xbox 360 tekken / battlefield matches etc, so how would i go around that issue?. How can i get audio on it?.
I've got both the component cable and hdmi cables, but soon my hdmi splitter arrives, so i'd like to be able to use that one.
post #68 of 515 Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM

If you have component cable, could you not use the line-in on your motherboard? Like plugging the RGB on the capture card and the audio on your motherboard. I think most motherboard have line-in for the microphone or something.
If you need to record 5.1, I think the only option would be to have a sound card with optical fiber input.
As of now, I am still trying new software, it takes a looong time. As said above, the best software up till now that I found were Cyberlink Power Director ( but you need to pay to have full edition and limited at 30fps. you can edit with the same software very easily)
and Windows Media Encoder which is completely free ( harder to use and don't record sound but you can record at 60 FPS).
post #69 of 515 Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Yes my motherboard does have a line in, but then i also have to get an adapter to do the 2 audio -> line in, right.
this one : http://www.rueducommerce.fr/hifi/ima...fo/xl/HRCA.jpg
And as i said above, because i already got myself some hdmi splitter and cables i'm trying to see if it can't be done that way. I'm still trying some stuff myself, but no luck yet.
i'll try out cyberlink power director too. thanks.
post #70 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Thank you for the tutorial. It looks like I am going to have to break down and get a hdmi splitter that only requires one display to be on. Can anyone make any suggestions?

I was able to test with windows media encoder and it only stuttered a few times but that is probably due to my 2gigs of ram. I will be upgrading that shortly. I was recording without audio but the video ran smooth for the most part.
post #71 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pock View Post

Thank you for the tutorial. It looks like I am going to have to break down and get a hdmi splitter that only requires one display to be on. Can anyone make any suggestions?

I was able to test with windows media encoder and it only stuttered a few times but that is probably due to my 2gigs of ram. I will be upgrading that shortly. I was recording without audio but the video ran smooth for the most part.

Try this powered splitter.

I'm using one right now with a split from my Dish DVR to the Avermedia HD DVR (12') and my bedromm TV (35') and it works perfectly. Don't get a splitter that's not powered - they just don't work.
post #72 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 AM

misayoto, i tried power director. but i can't get any image with that. haven't tried component yet though.
post #73 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM

oh yeah? non-powered splitter don't work? geez, I just ordered one. No... two... HDMI and component... >.< lol

@lawlhalla: You must be in HDMI then, just open avermedia after you open Power Director as said in my previous post. Just a reminder, Power Director will not record HDCP content. Only Windows Media Encoder will.

Ok soon I will have time to try new software, but it's really a hassle. Since I was installing so much software, all my codecs are kind of buggy. Cannot use hardware acceleration on playback now. lol I was wondering, does Xbox 360 have HDCP on all its content? I don't have the console so I am just asking out of curiosity as someone ( two actually) I know said he didn't have any problem recording Xbox 360.
post #74 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM

The ps3 has HDCP. but the xbox 360 doesn't have it. ( on games at least, i dont have any other HDCP device so its all fine here )
I already tried getting image by opening avertv after i opened power director. it didn't work as far as i could tell. will verify tomorrow morning. its 3 am now.

oh, and i've got a non-powered splitter which works fine.
post #75 of 515 Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM

hmmm, well let's see... for HDMI.
-Need the beta driver
-Opening avermedia after starting the software you want to use
-Card capture setting MUST be on Analog Capture Secondary; S-Video for HDMI ( capture source). If you switch to component, you just need to set it at composite.
That's about all I think...

Oh nice! Your non-powered splitter works! That's good news to me. hehe, Well I'll see when they arrive. XD
post #76 of 515 Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM

I know some people have said that they have trouble getting the audio through the passive splitters. Some have trouble getting video as well, but if they do happen to get video people have said oftentimes they don't get the audio. I'm basing this on reviews I've read at forum sponsor Monoprice.
post #77 of 515 Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 PM

I recorded BlazBlue at 60fps as an example.
Unlike VF5 video, I want to make sure the video isn't too big for most people.

Here the link of the file (5Mbps 720P 60fps).
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3TANSK7F

You guys will be surprised by the quality vs the size. I'm pretty good at it.
post #78 of 515 Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I know some people have said that they have trouble getting the audio through the passive splitters. Some have trouble getting video as well, but if they do happen to get video people have said oftentimes they don't get the audio. I'm basing this on reviews I've read at forum sponsor Monoprice.

That's the same thing I based my previous comment on (plus the same opinions from other sources). That's why I went directly to a powered splitter, especially since one split was a 35' run and it works perfectly. A passive one may work with a very short run and depending on the hardware, but why take a chance on hit and miss when spending a little bit more (which is not in my nature normally) promises the best results.
post #79 of 515 Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 AM

I didn't receive yet those passive splitters. >.>
Well, I'll see about it. At least they didn't cost me much. if they don't work well, I'll buy a powered splitter like you guys did.

So Mr Deap, could you tell me how much time did you spend encoding this one? The quality is pretty good though.
post #80 of 515 Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm using a non-powered HDMI splitter and it works perfectly. It's also a LOT cheaper than the powered version.
post #81 of 515 Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah, they are cheap. I bought my HDMI splitter 4$. I think the less expensive powered splitter I saw was like 30$. I'm not sure.
post #82 of 515 Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyground View Post

So I THEN tried to just do an HDMI splitter, but whenever I plug the aver card into the spliter, it's image turns green. I tried several different cables/configurations, but it doesn't present the image through the software clearly. if I plug the cable directly into the xbox, it works fine, if I remove the secondary display (straight to the monitor) the Aver software works through the splitter.

Do you think it's a driver issue? I'm about to toss the thing out the window.

I also tried recording through fraps, which is workable, but I still drop frames constantly.

If you get a green image be sure to go to your system settings on your xbox and set it to 720p. That worked for me.
post #83 of 515 Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM

Ok guy's I've had a little time to play with this card. I got my hdmi splitter and was using the avertv and fraps method to record. The only problem I'm seeing now is that the video looks a little washed out? Can you change the settings in the avertv mediacenter?

If not has anyone found a better way to record when using hdmi? The quality using wmv encoder is great but I want to use hdmi so thats out of the question.
post #84 of 515 Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Let's see the input lag & picture quality of the device.

The color seem to be limited on the device. The color doesn't flow exactly in how it should be. I presume it is YUV 4:1:1

The device show properly 1:1 pixel ratio which is a good thing.

Input lag, the device lag of 3 frames according to the number shown in the picture.(Always use the worst result as for the input lag for accuracy). Add the additional lag of you panel(extra 16 or 32ms) which may turn around 4 to 5 frames which look more like 60~80ms when you actually use it unless you own a CRT monitor.

post #85 of 515 Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Thanks for more great info MrDeap. I'm getting great footage now using fraps with just 2gigs of ram and windows 7. To get full 720p you need to right click in aver mediacenter, then highlight source and select fit to window. At least that is what worked for me.
post #86 of 515 Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM

So i just got the card and wanted to try my hand at capture.
Got everything hooked up and was able to get this vid

Link

Not bad but was wondering what I need to do to get HD out of this card.
My current setup has component split coming from the XBOX 360 going to cpu and tv.

CPU specs
specs
Have the 2.2 with 4 gigs of RAM running windows 7

I've tried capturing in MPEG-2 at 15000 but my video ends up looking like it is in fast forward. Assuming that I am loosing frames?

What should be the most I can expect as far as quality from this card and my setup?

I'm really only interested in capturing game play (720p) from my xbox and posting on youtube. Anyone got recs on settings I should be using?

Thanks in advance

fish
post #87 of 515 Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Someone on youtube is able to record full 1080p, using Fraps

A6qK-MzqxhQ

pugd_PG_GYo

I'm not able to post URLs yet
post #88 of 515 Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 PM

See if this 3rd post will clinch it
post #89 of 515 Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM

post #90 of 515 Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM

There's a reason why I don't favor Fraps as a way to record your stuff. The preview actually drop frames. When you use in a WDM(Windows Driver Model ) way you get the proper way to record the content which isn't dependant to the preview.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page