AVerTV HD DVR: New PCIe HD Capture Card - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 515 Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So there's no way to actually capture HD audio via this "HDCP hole"?
What's the point of capturing digital HD vid, if you can't capture it's accompanying HD audio?

I'm personally not so interested in video, I'm wanting to do what I've outlined here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...98#post1479998
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...63#post2059163

Any ideas/suggestions? Thank-you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 515 Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

So there's no way to actually capture HD audio via this "HDCP hole"?

It's not just that. The card won't do anything above 2ch 48kHz PCM, period, regardless of HDCP.

Quote:

What's the point of capturing digital HD vid, if you can't capture it's accompanying HD audio?

Some us like HD video...? There are a few main sources that people use to capture with these HD devices (video games, cable box, camcorders) and only one of them has what could be described as HD audio. The lack of 5.1 is a bit of a bummer for TV sources though, as lsilvest would tell you. There isn't much of a demand for multichannel audio when it comes to video game captures since most of them end up on Youtube anyway.
post #183 of 515 Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

It's not just that. The card won't do anything above 2ch 48kHz PCM, period, regardless of HDCP.

So I guess what I want to know is...
Is this limitation (48kHz, 2ch PCM, 16-bit) going to be a reality for all HDMI capture cards?
If it's going to remain a reality... WHY?
Or is it possible that one which can do better than DD/DTS 5.1 is available or will be soon?

If the best I can hope for in a HDMI capture card is DD/DTS 5.1...
Then perhaps I should be looking only at sound-cards w/decent s/pdif-in & devices like the colossus?

Quote:

There are a few main sources that people use to capture with these HD devices (video games, cable box, camcorders) and only one of them has what could be described as HD audio.

Yeah the vast majority of sources don't output what could be described as HD audio in the strictest sense.
But many BD movies do, as do some PS3 games, & the occasional Xbox game.

BD movies HD audio may be possible to grab, run through a hrtf filter, redirect to my soundcard, without the need for a hdmi capture card.
But HD audio from the latter 2 sources would need one....

Quote:

The lack of 5.1 is a bit of a bummer for TV sources though, as lsilvest would tell you.

Yeah that's what's peeving me off...
I mean fair enough no HD audio, but at least damn DD/DTS 5.1!?!
post #184 of 515 Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 AM

I'm having trouble with the newer drivers, even the last ones that supported the HDMI trick, linked to earlier in the thread.

Does any one have the beta Windows 7 x86/x64 drivers from about a year ago that fixed most of the major errors? I distinctly remembered them being C027 beta drivers and they worked perfectly on my system.
post #185 of 515 Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

*BUMP* @msgohan/anyone?
Post #183
Sorry, just in a massive rush

If the audio is that important to you get the new Hauppauge Colossus card at twice the price of the Avermedia which supports 5.1. If it had been available at the time I bought the Avermedia that's the way I would have gone. However, I can live with the synthesized surround from my AVR (which actually does a pretty good job of it) and most of what I do with this is to pull movies off my Dish DVR to use in a media player for my guest room which only has TV audio anyway.

It all depends on what you want. If the card doesn't do what you want, get one that does and quit carping about it.
post #186 of 515 Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your thoughts, the colossus is definitely already on the radar.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...98#post1479998
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...63#post2059163

Just waiting on a response to each point in my last post from msgohan.
Only if he knew the answers to each question/point of course!

Thanks again.
post #187 of 515 Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry jalyst, all I can offer is speculation that it's probably a combination of the content providers not wanting people to capture lossless audio and lack of sources/demand from consumers. It doesn't fit into the market these cards are aimed at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
I'm having trouble with the newer drivers, even the last ones that supported the HDMI trick, linked to earlier in the thread.

Does any one have the beta Windows 7 x86/x64 drivers from about a year ago that fixed most of the major errors? I distinctly remembered them being C027 beta drivers and they worked perfectly on my system.
I'm curious what you mean by trouble. I think you're looking for "1.12.64.21 (Beta)", but you're not going to find it unless someone happens to have it stashed somewhere.

I've attached AVerTM62_x64.sys from H727's 1.12.64.21. Hardware-wise they are the same except for an added DVB-T tuner, so it's possible the driver may work if you can manually "downgrade" it. The filename is identical, at least. I take no responsibility if you mess up your installation trying it...

AVerMedia H727 Win7_x64_1.12.64.21 AVerTM62_x64.zip 228.501953125k . file
post #188 of 515 Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry jalyst, all I can offer is speculation that it's probably a combination of the content providers not wanting people to capture lossless audio and lack of sources/demand from consumers. It doesn't fit into the market these cards are aimed at.

NP, I've found at least one that does DD/DTS 5.1.
I think it's just a matter of time before other hdmi capture cards do better.
But I guess we'll have to wait & see... thank-you.
post #189 of 515 Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:

I'm curious what you mean by trouble. I think you're looking for "1.12.64.21 (Beta)", but you're not going to find it unless someone happens to have it stashed somewhere.

I can't get 480p component to work and while it's probably a cable issue, the fact it's only done it since I updated the driver means I need to check.

BTW - older drivers here: http://www.avermedia.eu/avertv/DE/Pr...6&tab=APDriver

Maybe worth siphoning down the lot before these are removed too.
post #190 of 515 Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, H727. It adds a DVB-T tuner but is otherwise the same card. Did you manage to use those drivers you linked with your C027? I actually tried installing them myself and it showed up in Add/Remove but it wasn't actually being used since I still had the real drivers for my card installed.
post #191 of 515 Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Just want to follow up and close the loose end I started. The beginning of this can be read in post #175 of this thread one page back. I like to document this for some future reader because I have found info in forums like this to be priceless over the years and I hope this helps someone.

I really struggled to get the AVerTV HD DVR to work. I even installed the card and its software into another rig with the same results. The entire pc would crash and freeze when the MediaCenter 1.7.5 software would run. Sometimes the crash happened 25 minutes after running MediaCenter, sometimes within 3 minutes. I really gave it my all but I could not get avoid the crashing. I tried older MediaCenter software with worse results. I tried MediaCenter software that is supposedly newer (1.7.8) but made for a different card with worse results. Nothing but frustration with this product. I returned it but I thank you all who offered your help.

I purchased a Hauppauge Colossus card today. Installation went smoothly and I was recording HD video in 10 minutes from tearing open the box. The recordings are superb and I am more than pleased with the product. My full comments can be read by browsing to this post.
post #192 of 515 Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry for a newbie question. Is there a complete package they sell aftermarket without the prescription cost?

I am canceling FIOS for good so I need AVR for the wife to record Oprah & DR. OZ

tntrac
post #193 of 515 Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you would want an OTA ATSC tuner then, rather than this type of card.
post #194 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Sorry for a newbie question. Is there a complete package they sell aftermarket without the prescription cost?

I am canceling FIOS for good so I need AVR for the wife to record Oprah & DR. OZ

tntrac

If you are using Win7 or Vista you can use WMC and just add an ATSC tuner card. You can get them from Avermedia or Hauppauge - both work well and have a variety of cards- Avermedia generally less expensive . If you are using XP, then Hauppauge is the beter bet since they have better software. Also, Hauppauge usually includes a remote control.
post #195 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

If you are using Win7 or Vista you can use WMC and just add an ATSC tuner card. You can get them from Avermedia or Hauppauge - both work well and have a variety of cards- Avermedia generally less expensive . If you are using XP, then Hauppauge is the beter bet since they have better software. Also, Hauppauge usually includes a remote control.

Thanks. You know what model of the Hauppauge. I spent half the morning reading. We are still on XP Pro .

My goal:

I will have a HD antenna hook up to one of these tuner cards. Wife can schedule recordings of Oprah, etc and playback on computer lcd or LCD HDTV.

Thanks in advance,
tntrac
post #196 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 PM

I have a setup of ps3-->gefen hdmi detective-->avertv hd-->Acer H5360

I am trying to use this setup to avoid the need for an XL-3D device from optoma to covert 3d frampacked to checkerboard so I can view the ps3 3d on a projector.

The ps3 can send 3d out via hdmi only, but will not unless it sees the EDID data from a 3dtv, hence the gefen detective which is programmed to send the correct 3dtv EDID to the ps3 and trick the ps3 to think it is connected to a 3dtv and pass thru the signal to the capture card. I can confirm the gefen will allow me to autodetect in the ps3 display settings 720(3D) when I remove the avertv from the chain and plug directly into the Acer, but that is useless to me since the PJ cannot decode passed thru frame-packed 3D signal and only plays the sound.

I wish to use the avertv hd to view the live feed in stereoscopic player which converts the ps3 frame-packed signal to page flipped which my PJ can display in 3D. I have used this to watch many files from the 3D vision blog, so know the 3D on the htpc via stereoscopic player works.

So far I cannot get past the HDCP issues, all I see is a black screen. Once I was able to see a very fuzzy and distorted main ps3 screen, which is very weird since if the HDCP is not active I should not see anything. I have tried connecting the ps3 direct w/o the gefen device and I still have the same problem. I have captured using the avertv via the component, but this will not work for the 3D content.

I am using the AVer MediaCenter 1.7.5 v1.12.X.29 software and Win7_x86_v1.12.0.22 driver from the post #144 on the "AVerTV HD DVR: New PCIe HD Capture Card" thread, as it is the last one that was reported to maintain the HDCP capture loophole.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
post #197 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try PS3->AVerTV direct using regular 720p instead of a 3D format? The AVer software shouldn't show a black screen only if HDCP was the issue, rather it should popup an error message.
post #198 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM

That worked! Thanks.

Now gefen is still a problem. I have posted the result when I place it back inline.

I will try to reprogram to 720p 3D and see what happens. I just have to find a 3dtv at 720p to program on .

Ill get back to everyone soon.
post #199 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM

I am able to get a clear signal via hdmi with the gefen at 720p or 1080i .

I had to first set the ps3 display settings while connected to an old 1080i tv while using the gefen to see the 3D active and not autodetecgt a 1080p display. Unfortunately, when I then unplug the HDMI cable from the old tv to plug into the avertv the ps3 no longer thinks it is a 3dtv display. On the bright side I have clear hmdi 2D capture ability. Just not 3D.

I think this must have something to do with the EDID of the avertv. When I try to autodetect the EDID in ps3 display settings while connected to the avertv the screen goes blank becuase the HDCP handshake is lost, but then never comes back again like it is sending the 1080p signal.

Any ideas on the EDID of the capture card and the possibility of editing it in the driver so the ps3 thinks it is a 3dtv display?
post #200 of 515 Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid I have no idea where to go from here or even whether or not your plan should work as I'm not familiar with how 3D is sent over HDMI. As you know the card isn't meant to support the 3D standards.
post #201 of 515 Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Thanks. You know what model of the Hauppauge. I spent half the morning reading. We are still on XP Pro .

My goal:

I will have a HD antenna hook up to one of these tuner cards. Wife can schedule recordings of Oprah, etc and playback on computer lcd or LCD HDTV.

Thanks in advance,
tntrac
Sorry for slow response, I've been gone for a few days.

The model depends on your needs and the available slots in your pc. If you don't have any available pci or pci-e slots, then you'll need a usb tuner. I prefer an installed card if you do have a slot and recommend getting a dual ATSC tuner (one that will record 2 Shows at once) like the 1850.

For software you can see if the WinTV Hauppauge furnishes works for you. I use BeyondTV software, but they aren't even trying to sell it anymore and not developing for it. They do still support it though and if you might find a copy on E-bay or on their forum. If you do a lot of recording your wife will love the interface and their program guide.

Other software options are Media Portal which is free and Arcsoft Theater or SageTV.
post #202 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 AM

Just purchased this card from the Egg. Installed ok both in Windows 7 and Windows XP ( have dual drives ). Problem is I can't capture from vcr or live analog TV output into this card. Input signal is not protected so that's not it. No analog or Hdmi. The only thing I get is an occasional flashing of what I am trying to capture then blank screen on all inputs. Flashes from full to half screen then black screen about every minute with picture on screen only about a second. All drivers for video and Avermedia are latest. Running a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with AMD X4 964, Nvidia GT450GTS, and 8 GB ram. Any ideas what is wrong or should this card go back. Fresh install doesn't help. Thanks for your help. Bob D.
post #203 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Just purchased this card from the Egg. Installed ok both in Windows 7 and Windows XP ( have dual drives ). Problem is I can't capture from vcr or live analog TV output into this card. Input signal is not protected so that's not it. No analog or Hdmi. The only thing I get is an occasional flashing of what I am trying to capture then blank screen on all inputs. Flashes from full to half screen then black screen about every minute with picture on screen only about a second. All drivers for video and Avermedia are latest. Running a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with AMD X4 964, Nvidia GT450GTS, and 8 GB ram. Any ideas what is wrong or should this card go back. Fresh install doesn't help. Thanks for your help. Bob D.
Number of questions?
1. What input connection are you using?
2. What format and resolution are you using?
3. If you are only capturing SD/analog, why did you buy this card? There are a lot of old capture and tuner cards around that are very cheap that would do the job.

I don't know how many (if any) on this thread have even tried capturing analog with this card since the attraction is HD capture.
post #204 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM

All inputs including HD.
All resolutions. AVI, Mpeg1,2 All N.G.
If they have analog inputs, shouldn't work???
post #205 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The card drops any analog source that doesn't have a perfectly stable sync signal. It's mostly useless for VHS capture without a TBC, though I haven't experienced the severity of what you describe. Capturing from a cable box or something should work fine.

And you're saying this happens with HDMI too? At 1080i/720p?
post #206 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes, It does! This card is pure garbage!!!
post #207 of 515 Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Maybe yours is, but not in general. It does remarkably well capturing my cable and satellite HDTV. If you test it with that kind of source and it fails, then exchange the card. Can't speak for analog sources, however.
post #208 of 515 Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You asked for help and I asked you a couple of questions that would allow us to possibly furnish help. Your answers were at best vague and incomplete. If you want help, then try to cooperate. Ranting will get you nothing.

Tell us the sources of your video and how you have tried to connect them and exactly what resolutions and formats you tried for them. Without that information no one can help you.
post #209 of 515 Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 AM

Sorry, Did not mean to be rude. Just frustrated! HDMI out of Fios box gives blank screen. Analog composite (RGB) gives same. Not a gammer so have no game box. Have a WD media center. Same rusult from all outputs. Hdmi and RGB out of Pioneer receiver, blank screen. Hooked up portable DVD player. Same result even on none protected DVD's. Can't believe they sell a product that's only usable for some. How and what resolution and codec settings should I be using? Know nothing about video so I am learning. Thanks for your help. Bob D.
post #210 of 515 Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, Did not mean to be rude. Just frustrated! HDMI out of Fios box gives blank screen. Analog composite (RGB) gives same. Not a gammer so have no game box. Have a WD media center. Same rusult from all outputs. Hdmi and RGB out of Pioneer receiver, blank screen. Hooked up portable DVD player. Same result even on none protected DVD's. Can't believe they sell a product that's only usable for some. How and what resolution and codec settings should I be using? Know nothing about video so I am learning. Thanks for your help. Bob D.

Thanks. Hopefully someone with FIOS has experience and can help there. The main thing is that the card isn't recognizing anything. Are you sure Windows is recognizing the card - have you checked in Device Manager to make sure it's listed and is the Avermedia Center software recognizing it? The recording settings don't matter if you are not even getting a picture when you look at the TV screen in the Avermedia Center - and you have to make sure you are selecting the proper input in the Media Center.

If all of these things are OK, then you could possibly have a bad card. Have you contacted Avermedia tech support? They do respond. This card and software has had some quirks, most of which they seem to have fixed in the latest driver updates. I couldn't get sound when I first got my card and found out that because I had ATI video with HDMI out capability I had to have the drivers for HDMI audio installed even though I wasn't using it and it shouldn't have had anything to do with the capture card.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page